PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with DXF to G Code Transfer

mlapacz
03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm having trouble using the DXF files I downloaded into TurboCad in the SheetCam program. The DXF files are model airplane plans that I've download from the net. When I select the fuselage bulkheads from the plans, I'm able to load them into SheetCam, convert to Gcode, and run the Gcode on Mach3.
When I select wing ribs, Sheetcam is unable to create toolpaths for the design. I'm not sure why I can't get it to work. Does anyone have a solution to my problem, or suggestions for alternate software if that will work?
Thanks for any and all help. I've just finished my HobbyCNC machine and I'm anxious to cut out some airplane parts.
Mike

massajamesb
03-02-2007, 11:07 PM
What is it doing? or for that matter, not doing?
Does it not show a toolpath? rapid move?
are you using the right layer? Some drawings are in 0, some are in default, depending. If it is a multi-layer drawing, that may give you a headache as well.
I am going to assume that you are not trying to exceed the demo line limit of Sheetcam, or that you have a license and the line limit is not there.

mlapacz
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Reading the SheetCam Help files, it says to make sure the DXF drawing is fully closed before importing it into SheetCam. The drawings that I've been importing are showing lines not touching, so I've gone back into the TurboCad file and redrew the lines using the Snap function to make sure the ends of the lines were touching. I then imported the fixed file into SheetCam, but it showed the same points as being not connected. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Has anyone got any experience with this?
Mike

mlapacz
03-02-2007, 11:20 PM
When I try to make a toolpath, the message says that it was unable to make a toolpath and that the drawing may be bad. I think there's a problem with gaps in the lines of the drawing. I'm attempting to fix them in TurboCad, but I'm not having any success. I don't think there's multiple layers in the drawing but I may be wrong. How do you know if there's more than one layer in a drawing?
Mike

zoltan
03-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Try to modify in Sheetcam the tolerance of connecting lines in the drawing import until it closes the chains. It must works.

Zoltan

locost_cam
03-03-2007, 06:05 AM
The most likely problem is that the sections you have added are on a different layer to the original drawing. In SheetCam layers are completely independent of each other.

In SheetCam, go to View->layer tool. The layer tool will show all of the layers in your drawing. Move the layer tool to one side of the screen so you can see the drawing. If you click on a layer that layer will be highlighted on the drawing.

Your cad package should have a method of hiding layers. Hide the main drawing layer. Now select everything else that should be on that layer and move it to the right layer.

Les

mlapacz
03-03-2007, 01:54 PM
locost cam,
Thanks so much for your suggestion. I went into the TurboCad file and saw that the line I repaired was in a different layer. I put it into the same layer as the rest of the drawing, imported it into SheetCam and it worked.
I'm readyto start cutting airplane parts.
Thanks again.
Mike

mlapacz
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Les,
The latest update. I cut my first wing ribs today. This is so much fun. Thanks again for helping me over that hump.

Mike

locost_cam
03-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Congratulations. Be careful, this hobby is dangerously addictive :D

Les