PDA

View Full Version : 'Artistic' aluminum casting ideas wanted

kenny1
03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Hello...

I have a problem that I need help with.

I wish to cast the part in the photos below in aluminum, keeping as much details
as possible. To complicate things, this part is not flat, it is hollow - actually in the shape of a semicircle with an ID of roughly 2.500 inches.

What is the easiest/simplest/best way to do this?

Thank you,
Kenny1

holbieone
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
is this a one time and one piece job

or are you going to cast a small or large run

beone
03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Create a "followboard" or match. Place pattern on board, use plaster,clay, bondo, etc to build up the bottom to the parting line. Place in flask, ram cope,flip flask, remove followboard leaving pattern in cope half, dust, ram drag, flip mold, open, draw pattern, cut gates and spru, close mold, pour.

kenny1
03-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Somewhere between 50 and 100 pieces of this part, there are other differently shaped parts too that I need to do. The problem is that I need to preserve as many details in the part as possible. I read that people cast things in a RTV silicone - is there a silicone that will hold up to melted aluminum?

Thank you,
Kenny1

jetski
03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Yes there are silicones that hold up to aluminum. All peuter is cast in silicon molds. There is also spin casting with hi-temp silicones. We use these materials in rapid prototyping. Most jewlers use it for making rings from wax carvings, this is where lost wax comes from. Not from other who simply miss place thier wax which was previously thought until the 19th century.

kenny1
03-11-2007, 08:08 PM
The problem for me is this is a very detailed part, possibly originally diecast.

I have tried to sandcast this, but there is much detail lost in the reproduction.

Do you know where I can find the silicone that I can use to copy this?

Thank you for the help,
Kenny1

jetski
03-12-2007, 07:11 AM
The problem for me is this is a very detailed part, possibly originally diecast.

I have tried to sandcast this, but there is much detail lost in the reproduction.

Do you know where I can find the silicone that I can use to copy this?

Thank you for the help,
Kenny1

There is a place in Franklin Indiana called BCC products. Talk to Roger Jr. Tell him George sent you. He is very knowlegable about the products they sell and the heat they will hold. If he can not help you with volcanized rubber (spin castings) a lot of jewlers use this to cast rings and other jewlery. You might check with a local jewler just to get some basic information first. They can answer a ton of questions in a short time and ever show you alittle of what they do for a more hands on look at this.

desygityaso
03-17-2007, 11:33 PM
hey Kenny , I'm a jeweler and your piece is nothing to reproduce with jewelers casting method. Let me know if you need more info.