PDA

View Full Version : New Idea 4x8 Router Table

jeffg
02-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi Everyone I Got The Cnc Bug About Two Years Ago. After Looking At Web Sites And Ebay For A 1 1/2 YEARS I Realized I Was Not Going To Find A Good Used Or Cheep Cnc So I Bought A Stepperwold Kit And Built One. Dont Laugh At My First Monster I Built It Before I Found The Cnc Zone [had No Idea What I Was Doing] Anyhow I Came Up With This New Idea And I Think Its Going To Be Pretty Good So I Thought I Share It With You Guys. I Will Post More Pics. Along The Way. sorry i didnt have room for pics of 1st machine in this post i will put them in next one.

jeffg
02-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Heres Some Pics Of My 1st Monster

jeffg
02-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Ok So I Got All The Alu. From 80/20 Garage Sale. I Was Very Happy With It. 6105-t5 Nice Stuff To Work With. I Used Pan Heads Counter Sunk To Bolt The Frame Together. After I Squared It Up I Had To Add A Few Shims To Make It Perfect I Will Post More Pics Tommorow

jeffg
02-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Ok Building The Bearing Blocks. The X Pieces I Used Are The Same Inserts You Use For Bolting The Frame Together They Are Threaded On Two Ends You Just Have To Cut One Ear Off {be Carefull!!!}.then When You Start Bolting Tmem Together The Side Play Adjustment Is In The Form Of Shims And Washers Top And Bottem Play Has Slots On Bottem Of Side Plates With 10/32 Socket Heads For Adjustment. Be Carefull Respect The Machine Becouse It Does Not Respect You.

studysession
02-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Nice -
Where would you get lead screws that long?

joecnc2006
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I do not think leadscrews will work well for this project unless you are traveling 20ipm to avoid bad whipping, So that being said I would go for a rack and pinion system or belt drive with a min. of 2:1 reduction if not more.

Joe

joecnc2006
02-20-2007, 12:28 PM
the only problem i see so far is the hardened steel rollers will wear on the alumn. pretty quickly and you will need to adjust the rollers a little more than usual if it was an all steal construction.

Also another note: If you add a cross piece along the bottom of the gantry side to side this will help prevent the Alumn. from tilting on the sides.

Please consider these as an opinion only and just as a help sugestion.

Joe

aspenelm
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
looks good, I hope you add a lot of bracing to the framework. Also are the bearings running on the aluminum surface? unfortunately that wont last long, but it looks like you could easily subsitute a piece of 1/4 steel plate and bolt it on to the sides.

I know what it is like to build a monster, my first running router is about 4' square cube in space, yet only cuts 28"x18"x4". Just used materials on hand and that is what resulted.

sorry, didnt see joe's post about the rollers...

jeffg
02-20-2007, 06:53 PM
HEY GUYS THANKS FOR LOOKING.I AM TRYING TO WORK OUT THE BRACEING AS I GO. TO ANSWER STUDYSESSION WWW.ROTON.COM HAS ALL ACME AND BALL SCREWS THEY STOCK IN 12 FT LENGTHS WILL CUT TO ORDER AND NUTS GOOD PRICES THEY CAN SHIP UPS GROUND UP TO 9 FT.I WAS THINKING ABOUT A 1"ACME WITH BRONZE NUT FOR X AND 3/4 FOR Y. MY OTHER MACHINE CUT AT A WHOPPING 12 IPM I WILL BE HAPPY IF THE NEW ONE CUTS AT 40-80 IPM THE OTHER ISSUE IS THE ALUMINUM WEARING I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT THIS STUFF FROM 80/20 IS 6015 GRADE T5 TEMPERED WHEN I CUT THE 3/8x6 FLAT STOCK ON MY CHOP BOX I WANTED TO SAND OUT THE BLADE MARKS ON THE BELT SANDER IT TOOK SOME TIME TO CLEAN THE EDGES UP BESIDES I HOPE BY THE TIME I WEAR OUT THE RAILS I FIND A GOOD DEAL ON SOME THK RAILS. HERES A PIC. A LITTLE MORE PROGRESS

jeffg
02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
HEY GUYS I AM GOING TO NEED SOME HELP IN THE ELECTRONICS DEPT. I WAS THINKING OF USING KELING DRIVES I AM NOT SURE WHAT STEPPERS ? MAYBE NEMA34 600oz? I BOUGHT A POWER SUPPLY ON EBAY 24v 18amp REGULATED CONTINOUS. WHAT IS THE REGULATED AND UNREGULATED?? HERE IS A PIC OF THE POWER SUPPLY. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK??

ger21
02-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Depends on the motors and drives you choose, but you'll probably want a 36V to 48V power supply. Something about 15-20 times the motors voltage rating.

And try not to type with the caps lock on. :)

jeffg
05-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi just wanted to post some pics i am done with the build i just have to wire it up!

Torchhead
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Jeff: [Soft sell follows]. Take a look at the RouterPaks we have. The RouterPak 1 without motors (if you want to keep the steppers you have) will drive that table nicely. I don't know the lead on your screws, but on mine that is similar that uses a 2 start 10 trhead (5 TPI equiv) I get nice smooth 150 IPM rapids and lots of accuracy and torque.

TOM CAUDLE
www.CandCNC.com

jeffg
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I got it working with some 2.5 amp drives i got on ebay it cuts at 50ipm, i bought one keling k8078 to try and i got the x to jog at 300ipm so i think i need to save up a few more bucks and get two more keling drives.

joecnc2006
05-18-2007, 02:41 PM
machine is looking good. what is your z-axis made from?

Be interesting to see how the alumn holds up with the bearings riding on it.

Joe

jeffg
05-19-2007, 07:48 AM
the z was a complete axis i bought on ebay is was 25" long i shortened it to 12" and mounted my stepper on it , i made the router mount ,i cut the holes with mach 3 circle cutter on my old machine. and i will let you know how the rails hold up .

foam27
05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I do not mean to insult you, or anyone here sharing my opinion below....

I admire your willingness to build...but I have to comment.......

I see these homebrew rollerblade bearing slide things here all the time....

Look at how much work went into those, the little pieces, the time, etc....all for an inferior slide..... compared to USED industrial strength, linear rail/trucks(THK,HIWIN,IKO, STAR, etc,etc) you could purchase off ebay, or a number of other places..

I just don't understand why so many people here go this rollerblade bearing crap. If you say it's because you can't afford it, I call BS. All those bolts, plate, bearings, add up when purchased from a rip off hardware store, and saving the money to buy these, couldn't take more than a month. The same amount of time to build this.....stuff.

So much of your machine begins with good linear rails, that are slop free in all the non-travel directions.

Just my IMHO..I'm going to go build me a car with a SPOON now.....

joecnc2006
05-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I do not mean to insult you, or anyone here sharing my opinion below....

I admire your willingness to build...but I have to comment.......

I see these homebrew rollerblade bearing slide things here all the time....

Look at how much work went into those, the little pieces, the time, etc....all for an inferior slide..... compared to USED industrial strength, linear rail/trucks(THK,HIWIN,IKO, STAR, etc,etc) you could purchase off ebay, or a number of other places..

I just don't understand why so many people here go this rollerblade bearing crap. If you say it's because you can't afford it, I call BS. All those bolts, plate, bearings, add up when purchased from a rip off hardware store, and saving the money to buy these, couldn't take more than a month. The same amount of time to build this.....stuff.

So much of your machine begins with good linear rails, that are slop free in all the non-travel directions.

Just my IMHO..I'm going to go build me a car with a SPOON now.....

WOW, what a comment, some people like the DIY feature of it, Why build a house if you can just buy one????? Because some people like the fun and satisfaction of doing it yourself maybe?

Joe

Kipper
05-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Build a car with a spoon! (http://www.gobuildacarwithaspoon.com) The url is available! Please post details of your build :D And for a brief on topic comment...... It looks nice and shiny and it appears to knock the snot out of MDF so all's good :) :thumbsup: Did you enjoy building it? :cheers:

foam27
05-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I build my own cnc's too Joe...I would build my own house too but, if I don't know how to pour a stable foundation, I'm not going to build my house on a foundation I poured....

It's just that the Japanese, Germans, whoever.. have perfected the art of linear rails over decades, and if you can have a piece of that, why not, for a reasonable price, if your going to the trouble of building a cnc. It's better and easier.

Heck, even Thomson followed suit in the design...

Joe, I love your designs, creativity, and ingenuity..I think it's amazing what you have done with MDF....and I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone, i'm just expressing my opinion.

It could be that I just don't get it...but, if I'm going to DIY it, I want to be the best it can be, even if that means using parts I didn't create....do you make your own rollerblade bearings?

Oh and don't get me wrong guys...the stuff I build is probably garbage compared to professionally built stuff......in their eyes.....

Not looking to make waves....just an opinion....peace..:rainfro:

joecnc2006
05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
No problem Foam27, Eveyone has their own DIY capabilities, If i could i would certainly use thk or others, but i enjoy making something from nothing and having it work. As alot of others do, and certainly the best of both worlds would be a comfortable machine to a 30,000 dollar one. 1/2 rail and ballscrews and 1/2 diy made.

JeffG, look forward to more pictures of your machine, I am almost finished with my next machine, and then will prob. start another, It never ends. LOL

Joe

gacrwell
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
...It's just that the Japanese, Germans, whoever.. have perfected the art of linear rails over decades, and if you can have a piece of that, why not, for a reasonable price, if your going to the trouble of building a cnc. It's better and easier....

...It could be that I just don't get it...but, if I'm going to DIY it, I want to be the best it can be, even if that means using parts I didn't create....do you make your own rollerblade bearings?...

Well, it all comes down to that "reasonable price" doesn't it. My first glance on ebay shows linear slides comparable in size to the skate bearing rails that I'm making run about 3X the cost. I'm sure there are much better deals, and the occasional 'killer' deal. But even at 1.5x it would make a dent overall, and then what? Gee, nice linear slides, wouldn't I want to use ballscrews rather than acme screws? And as long as I've got slides and ballscrews, it doesn't make sense to mount that on MDF, it should be a metal frame. And now a hobby-type controller really doesn't fit, probably should buy Geckos. Come to think of it, probably should have servos rather than steppers... and now I'm priced out of having a cnc machine at all.

The beauty of the skate bearing/acme screw/MDF/stepper DIY is that it's all proportional technology. It just doesn't make sense to improve one element without improving the other elements to suit, which increases the entire system cost, not just the extra cost of the slides.

I'm building a $1200 cnc router of Joe's design. Overall, it looks like it will be a truly excellent system for that size and price range. If I wanted a $2500 router, I'd start with slides and a metal frame, but not now.

The other aspect is that Joe has created a design that anyone can build, using catalog/hardware store pieces - it doesn't depend upon finding a 'deal' for particular components that are available haphazardly on ebay. So the dozens of people that have built/are building Joe's design are working on a common design, not one that has to be modified to accommodate what's available this week. Such modifications may not be significant to you, but like many of the builders, I have limited woodworking/metalworking resources - it's important to me to have those accurately predrilled (from Joe's kit) holes and components that fit without needing modifications.

So now you may come back and say: "$1200! I can build an XYZ-size metal/slide/ball table for that, easy." Well, good for you. I can't. Part of what I'm paying is the cost of learning. I'll try to do better next time.

Having Joe's kit, cut on a machine exactly like the one I'm building, I am certain that the result will be a machine that will be exactly as capable as I need for now, at the price that fits, for now.

JMO

Gary

milhead
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
After building my first machine (and gaining what little knowledge I have) I'm pretty content. I followed many ideas form Joe's comments and skateboard bearings/rail setup it was fun and I had time. I also learned in a hands-on way that there is no limit on how much you can spend on a machine to make it perform to tougher requirements. I was on the verge of using them again on my second machine until I got really lucky low-balling some eBay auctions.. (Which I also enjoy..) I think the core of building these machines is finding your own enjoyment points.. I've had several folks find out how much time I've spent building and learning, the quick comment comment is that I'd be better off buying a small commercial unit.. I suppose those folks buy the ready-to-fly RC models as well... (a thought that continues to make me gasp)..

Thinwater
05-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Nice looking machine. How wide and thick is the gantry material?

I am about to build something similar. I have a sheet of 1/2" 6061 36" x 72" and another smaller peice .375".

I have a full size mill and a couple of big lathes and metal shapers to make it with as well as a couple of larger home made foundries for casting in petro bond sand.

I am trying to get a feel for how big I can get away with with the material I have. I also have several 5/8" acme thread rod with nuts about 6' long for leadscrews if it is heavy enough.

Thanks,
JIM