PDA

View Full Version : What style of collet do you run?

Chuck Reamer
02-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I am curious to see what are the common collets people are running in CNC mills. I am leaning toward all TG100, because they have a higher clamping force. I understand that there are different levels of accuracy in a collets grades, but its the style and reasons I am interested in.

I am assuming that no one runs double angle anymore, I figure its mostly ER16, ER32, TG50, TG75, or TG100. I still would like to hear any input, from any one.

Has anyone ever had a problem with tools pulling out? Its never happened to me exept with an R8 collets, and I pray to little baby Jesus that it dont happen again.

Thanks
Chuck

jackson
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I use allot of different ones i use tho 100, 180D , ER16 , ER20 , and i do use the double anguled usualy for small drills in the lathe
i also use 3J for chucking and s20 for chuking

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I am curious to see what are the common collets people are running in CNC mills. I am leaning toward all TG100, because they have a higher clamping force. I understand that there are different levels of accuracy in a collets grades, but its the style and reasons I am interested in.

I am assuming that no one runs double angle anymore, I figure its mostly ER16, ER32, TG50, TG75, or TG100. I still would like to hear any input, from any one.

Has anyone ever had a problem with tools pulling out? Its never happened to me exept with an R8 collets, and I pray to little baby Jesus that it dont happen again.

Thanks
Chuck

ER16 and ER32 Ericson's and ETM's (made by Iscar).

As for tools pulling out, "Yes" and "No". Once when a Cap was cracked, and the idoit that Cracked it didn't tell anyone. He has a habit of cracking the hex on set screws too. Over Tightening is a BAD THING!!!!! Threads shouldn't be stretched past their limits. Plus your only making it weaker, not stronger.

Cheers :)

jackson
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
ER16 and ER32 Ericson's and ETM's (made by Iscar).

As for tools pulling out, "Yes" and "No". Once when a Cap was cracked, and the idoit that Cracked it didn't tell anyone. He has a habit of cracking the hex on set screws too. Over Tightening is a BAD THING!!!!! Threads shouldn't be stretched past their limits. Plus your only making it weaker, not stronger.

Cheers :)

Hey toby the etm replacement caps made by iscar seem to be much better built than the ones that come on the lyndex or any other, i started buying them and have not had one crack yet

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey toby the etm replacement caps made by iscar seem to be much better built than the ones that come on the lyndex or any other, i started buying them and have not had one crack yet

Really??? That is definately something to look into, Thanks for the Tip!!!!
This guy at work seems to break everything though. LOL, don't tell him that, he is liable to blow a Head Gasket. :)

He uses a 1-1/4 Boxed End Wrench with a Breaker Bar :confused: :confused: :confused:

jackson
02-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Really??? That is definately something to look into, Thanks for the Tip!!!!
This guy at work seems to break everything though. LOL, don't tell him that, he is liable to blow a Head Gasket. :)

He uses a 1-1/4 Boxed End Wrench with a Breaker Bar :confused: :confused: :confused:

sound like some one needs to break him i stress hard to my guys that sh*T dosent have to be so tight a mac truck has to loosen it i use to work with a guy that tighten stuff real tight just to watch you struggle to loosen it so we bult a deal adn bolted his tool box to the wall and got the biggist guy in the shop to bolt it down needless to say he quit doing that

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 11:26 AM
sound like some one needs to break him i stress hard to my guys that sh*T dosent have to be so tight a mac truck has to loosen it i use to work with a guy that tighten stuff real tight just to watch you struggle to loosen it so we bult a deal adn bolted his tool box to the wall and got the biggist guy in the shop to bolt it down needless to say he quit doing that

I figure he will stop when the Vein in his forehead POPS and he drops on the floor just from taking one of his caps off, LOL. :D :D :D ;) :cool:

jackson
02-17-2007, 11:41 AM
HA HA yeah or breaks his hand when he slips off of it

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 12:12 PM
HA HA yeah or breaks his hand when he slips off of it

Naa, he still hasn't learned from that, LOL. Maybe a Rock in the head might help?:D ;)

Chuck Reamer
02-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input all, I cant believe someone can tighten a collet enough to crack the cap. That is crazy, what a fool.

I like the breaker bar on a 1 1/4" wrench thats real nice. One of the guys in the plastics dept was using a 1/2" drive cheaply made wratchet with a 4 foot bar on it. He was hanging all of his weight on it and needless to say the wratchet let loose. He landed on his knees with the sharp burred up bar end of the pipe slamming into his collar bone and leaving a nice 3-pointed star like cut into his skin.

He was walking around like a lame duck for a few days after that, its kinda funny when people do stupid stuff and learn the hard way. As long as there not seriously hurt that is.

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the input all, I cant believe someone can tighten a collet enough to crack the cap. That is crazy, what a fool.

I like the breaker bar on a 1 1/4" wrench thats real nice. One of the guys in the plastics dept was using a 1/2" drive cheaply made wratchet with a 4 foot bar on it. He was hanging all of his weight on it and needless to say the wratchet let loose. He landed on his knees with the sharp burred up bar end of the pipe slamming into his collar bone and leaving a nice 3-pointed star like cut into his skin.

He was walking around like a lame duck for a few days after that, its kinda funny when people do stupid stuff and learn the hard way. As long as there not seriously hurt that is.

As Forest Gump would say, "Stupid is as Stupid Does". I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but common sence is a common thought in all applications, LOL.:D

RICHARD ZASTROW
02-17-2007, 07:28 PM
I cut the handles of his wrenches off at 3" length and rounded off the stubs. The next thing he did to "make sure things were secure" was to hammer on the 3" handles. "You can't make it idiot proof. All you can do is make it more difficult for the idiots to overcome it."

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I cut the handles of his wrenches off at 3" length and rounded off the stubs. The next thing he did to "make sure things were secure" was to hammer on the 3" handles. "You can't make it idiot proof. All you can do is make it more difficult for the idiots to overcome it."

That might actually do it, LOL. 3" is about the distance for Maximum Torque needed for these. I forgot about this. Thanks!!!!!! It seems that the more we learn, and the more we age, the more of the simple things we forget, LOL.:) Reduce the fulcrum point.

:cheers: This one is on me. :)

Chuck Reamer
02-17-2007, 08:00 PM
The next thing he did to "make sure things were secure" was to hammer on the 3" handles.

Thats priceless, good help is damn hard to find.

I laughed out loud when I read that, please tell me he is an operator and not an actuall machinist.

ScottC
02-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know the difference between ER16 and ESX16 collets? Dimensionally they appear the same...

Scott

tobyaxis
02-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Thats priceless, good help is damn hard to find.

I laughed out loud when I read that, please tell me he is an operator and not an actuall machinist.

That guy is probibly an Operator that calls himself a Machinist, LOL:)

RICHARD ZASTROW
02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Toby, This is gonna cost ya. Like I told Adobe, it's Pilsner Urquel by the 6-pack.
Chuck, He's now a sheep farmer working for his father-in-law.

Chuck Reamer
02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Chuck, He's now a sheep farmer working for his father-in-law.

hahahahahaha I hope thats his true calling BAAAAA BAAAAA

RICHARD ZASTROW
02-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Chuck, That guy was exceptionally addept at following instructions. I found him struggling with a 40# bag of salt in one arm. I told him it would be easier if he grabbed it with both arms. When I looked back at him he had one in each arm, balancing the load. I suppose that qualified him for feed bags.

tobyaxis
02-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Well he wasn't afraid to work at least. All to many times when you ask someone to do something they look back like your CRAZY.

A guy was hired above me once saying that he was a 1st Class Machinist. He worked for a big outfit for 15 years. He was told to mount a 5C Indexing head to mill some flats. 30 minutes later he came back and said he was done. I was like WOW, that was fast. Went over to see the parts not done and the Indexing Head Mounted Backwards with the Collet Lever facing in the other direction. I looked at him and said, "I think you better get your things together and leave".

Went back to the boss and said "That new guy wasn't even a 2nd Class""What rock did you find him under"? He just gave me a blank stare back. The next thought was "Who am I working for?:rolleyes: "