PDA

View Full Version : Taig cutter chatter

Rockomo
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Hello All,

I am using a Taig mill, cutting mild cold roll and trying to get a nice flat surface on a piece 1 in by 1.5 in steel. I was taking .001 cuts with a 7/16 HSS end mill on the 4th pully down. It seems like the cutter must me jumping as the surface in not totatlly flat as compared to a Enco mill result at work.

Any ideas.... Spindle adjustments?

..Rock..

cartertool
02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Hello All,

I am using a Taig mill, cutting mild cold roll and trying to get a nice flat surface on a piece 1 in by 1.5 in steel. I was taking .001 cuts with a 7/16 HSS end mill on the 4th pully down. It seems like the cutter must me jumping as the surface in not totatlly flat as compared to a Enco mill result at work.

Any ideas.... Spindle adjustments?

..Rock..

7/16" is a rather large endmill for the Taig (although in this case you are using it more like a flycutter), and .001" depth of cut is incredibly shallow, which can cause it to skip a bit. Add to that that Cold Rolled can be hard to machine, is full of stresses, etc. and you get a difficult situation.

I would probably use the lowest speed on the pulley, more like a .01" depth of cut, copious cutting oil/coolant on the part with a slow feedrate.

Rockomo
02-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Hello Nick

Thanks for the quick reply. In looking over the mill, and measuring between the spindle head block and the table, I noticed the the whole head assembly can rock back and forth on the vertical column to the tune of .010 inches. This may be part of my problem.

I haven't taken it appart yet.... is there gib adjustment so that the slider for vertical assembly doesn't rock back and forth on the vertical column plate?

Thanks again... ..Rock..

cartertool
02-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello Nick

Thanks for the quick reply. In looking over the mill, and measuring between the spindle head block and the table, I noticed the the whole head assembly can rock back and forth on the vertical column to the tune of .010 inches. This may be part of my problem.

I haven't taken it appart yet.... is there gib adjustment so that the slider for vertical assembly doesn't rock back and forth on the vertical column plate?

Thanks again... ..Rock..

See here:
http://www.cartertools.com/millset2.html
and here:
http://www.cartertools.com/millset.html

You need to adjust the clamping shoes/gibs on the z-axis.

Rockomo
02-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Hello Nick,

Your help is very much appreciated! You got me back on track in very short order. This newbie is very greatful!

T H A N K S ! ! ..Rock..

Bowman
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Not sure what your part is going to be used for but if its not a part requiring critical strength you could try annealing it some to soften it up. Just a thought.