PDA

View Full Version : My Joe2006 build

ezgoin
02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi all,

I figured it was about time I started a thread on my build. This build will be a slow process since I'm laying out templates and using those to route the parts. So far I've managed to get all of the torsion box pieces cut, and assembled the Y axis and gantry bottom. The X axis is cut but yet to be assembled. I also have the left side of the gantry cut and glued together. The right side still needs to be glued and have the routing for the bearing block. I got carried away when I was cutting the gantry pieces and made the hole for the pipe in all 4 lol. Guess I'll find out if filling a 1" hole is as easy in wood as it is in steel :)

Unfortunately I haven't taken any pictures(been super busy making templates and cutting parts :)). I'll dig the camera out and take some shots to post later.

joecnc2006
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing more of your post and progress..

joe

ezgoin
02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Didn't have much time today, but I took a couple shots to post. The first is the gantry bottom torsion box, and the second is the Y axis torsion box. I'll take more pics and post them later.

bp092
02-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Looks good, just be careful with the skins as it looks (could be wrong) like one skin is cracked out a little bit. On the X table they need to be really impeccable otherwise you will have a tough time getting the same zero on it in one place to the next. Looking forward to the rest of your build log!

ezgoin
02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Yeah it did. Looks like there's something that got under the skin . I realized it too late though, but since nothing will be sitting on the skin I didn't stress over it much. I understand about the X-axis needing to be flat, but wouldn't skimming the spoil board clear any inconsistencies?

joecnc2006
02-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah it did. Looks like there's something that got under the skin . I realized it too late though, but since nothing will be sitting on the skin I didn't stress over it much. I understand about the X-axis needing to be flat, but wouldn't skimming the spoil board clear any inconsistencies?

One thing i have thought about is having another floating table top of 1/2" material, sitting on top of 1/2" hdpe. or the 1/2" just being the spoil board.

glue the HDPE down to X-axis torsion box then use the machine to skim the tops of them, this will give you a flat and even 0 across it, then attach 1/2 mdf ontop of those via capret tape or nylon screws.

This will eliminate any improfections in youe X-Axis Torsion box.

Joe

bp092
02-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds interesting joe. I actually was at home depot and saw carpet tape randomly and remembered to try it out. Man is that stuff strong! Not a good hold down as it won't hold it true but it is a great alternative to adding tabs :).

ezgoin
02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Now that you mentioned the hdpe,I was wondering about the cutting board that people have used. Can someone give me an idea what I should look for? Or perhaps that spare corian cutting board we never use may come in handy :D

bp092
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
I believe most plastic cutting boards will be made of a HDPE like material. I puchased one from home goods and need more but I think that walmart, target, any cheap retail store like that will carry them for about $10 tops. Not sure where guys were finding 3/4" cutting boards, most come in 3/8" and 1/2" that I have seen. Also some people were calling local plastics companies looking for drop or scrap that they can buy by the pound.