PDA

View Full Version : Emc2

sdantonio
02-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I was in the mach3 group a while ago and someone mentioned EMC2 (Enhanced Machine Control) as an alternative to windows based CNC control software. I think the post was an attenmpt to probe Art's willingness to look at a alternative OS to windows. especially in light of the upcomming release of their newest monstrosity, VISTA, in 24 short months.

Also, linux has the reputation for being faster and more stablethan windows, and has considerable fewer viri written aganst it since there are fewer people who hate linus torvald than bill gates.

So my question, (and I realize this in in the wrong thread, but it's the only thread that makes sence to ask it in), has any one tried EMC2 http://www.linuxcnc.org/ for running the CNC router or mill, and if so, how does it compare to Mach3?

Thanks

aspenelm
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I am using emc2. There are several options now at http://linuxcnc.org/, including a live cd.

I have only used the trial version of mach2. I would say mach is quite a bit easier to configure, but how often do you do that, once... emc2 looks pretty decent with the axis gui. I am still new to using emc2 though.

btw, vista is out now.

sdantonio
02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I just got finished reading through the emc manual (and I'm still awake). I got the impression that it is a bit more intensive to configure, but once that it done it looks pretty straight forward. I think where Mach is a bit easier to configure, I may run Mach for the initial instrument setup. Just to make sure my motors are running right and everything, and then give emc a try. I do like the reliability of linux over windows.

The computer guy in the next cube tells me that vista is out too and not to even think about using it till I get something like a 64 bit dual core, otherwise it will be slow as a dog. I guess that 24 months is when they discontinue support and sales on XP (which I still haven't moved up to, personally I found 2000 to be a little easier to use and more reliable than XP, but that's just my personal opinion).

I read about the live cd option. Might give it a try. I still have to finish setting up my power supply first though. Then everything should be good for a trial run (I hope).

Thanks