PDA

View Full Version : Mach 3 Multitask ?

CNC OT
02-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Can I run my own software at the same time as i am cutting with Mach3 ? I have Indexer LPT and it freezes the CPU while running.
How about on a dual pentium with hyperthreading ? I am new to MACH 3

turmite
02-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Probably not. Mach uses some special timing something or other and I know that there have been problems with certain programs causing timing problems and locking the pc up. From everything I have read, it is best to use the pc you have Mach on to drive the machine but nothing else when a program is actually running.

Mike

Normsthename
02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Can I run my own software at the same time as i am cutting with Mach3 ? I have Indexer LPT and it freezes the CPU while running.
How about on a dual pentium with hyperthreading ? I am new to MACH 3
I had the same problem, so I got hold of a lowish spec PC Box (for free :D) that is more than capable of running Mach3, and I then bought a KVM (Short for keyboard, video, mouse switch) which is a gizmo that has 6 cables coming out of it. 3 cables go the the Video, Mouse & Keyboard on PC1, and the other 3 cables go to the Video, Mouse & Keyboard on PC2. You then plug your mouse, keyboard & monitor into the gizmo.
This allows you to easily switch between the two PC's via a Hot key (you press Scroll Lock twice and it switches) It works brilliantly!
I also added a USB Link Cable, which came with drag and drop software so I can transfer NC programs across easily.
Hope this helps.

Andy