PDA

View Full Version : NCPlot Final beta now available

MetLHead
01-27-2007, 03:35 PM
This is it!! The last NCPlot beta is now available, and the release of NCPlot v2.00 has been scheduled for March 1st! The pre-release pricing offer will expire at release, so take advantage of it while you still can...

Download NCPlot at:

www.ncplot.com

NCPlot v2.0 Release Candidate 4 Release Notes
January 27, 2007

Bug Fixes
=========

NCPlot would crash on startup if the scripting engine could not be started. This is fixed.

Canned cycles were resetting the active feedrate if no "F" word was commanded on the canned cycle block. This was causing incorrect warning messages when the feedrate check warning is enabled.

The G09 command was causing NCPlot to ignore the corresponding motion command. This is fixed.

General
=======

Added the tool "Jump to Line Number" to the Edit menu. This tool will prompt for a file line number and then move the cursor to the entered line. Note that this will be the *file* line number and not the "N" block number.

Adding the ability to read "SPLINE" objects when importing DXF drawings. This is not finished, it currently only creates a polyline through the control points.

Keep in mind that development will continue with the release of periodic updates after release. So if you've requested a feature and it's not in for the release version, that doesn't mean it's not going to make it, it just means I haven't managed to work it in yet.

Thanks,
Scott

tobyaxis
02-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Scott,

I just purchased a V2 License today.:) LOL, it only took a year to finally buy it, but well worth every penny:rainfro:

Thanks for the great Program.

Cheers
:cheers:

MetLHead
02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks Toby! I knew you'd get around to it eventually :)

Scott

tobyaxis
02-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Toby! I knew you'd get around to it eventually :)

Scott

A year is just plain LAZYNESS;) :D

BTW: How about for your next Version a 6 Axis Lathe with Live tools.

PM me if you want the Machine Configurations. I'll get some stuff together and send it to you. I hope you have a LARGE EMAIL BOX, LOL:rainfro:

Pres
02-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks Scott for an excellent program with SUPER support.

It has paid for itself many times over in saving material, time and (unbroken) tool bits. :)

tobyaxis
02-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok Scott,

Ditch the first Drawing. There were a few mistakes that had to be corrected. You should get the next one in a few minutes.

:cheers: :o

MetLHead
02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Pres,

Thanks! I like to hear that everything's going well!

Toby,

Yep, I got your drawing.

Thanks,
Scott

7ofclubs
02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
From the outset it looks like ncplot is awesome. I am using Rhino V3 but I will V4 tomorrow. I want to use TurboCNC with Rhino but I couldn't find a good conversion program, until now.
I will be making wax rings for casting but when I convert the ring using ncplot my Z axis is set to zero. I have read the ncplot tutorials but can't figure this one out. Please tell me that I don't have manually put in the Z axis because some of my designs are very complex.

So.....why does my z axis always set to zero? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanx in advance for any help!

-=7ofclubs=-

MetLHead
02-13-2007, 08:07 AM
The DXF importing in NCPlot is designed mainly for creating 2.5D G-Code. It reads the drawing layers in and lets you set the machining parameters for each layer. It does not read the Z axis depths from the drawing. At one time I had thought about doing this, but it seemed to work well the way it was. If you have a drawing you can send me, I can re-look at doing this.

Thanks,
Scott

7ofclubs
02-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Scott, you are totally awesome, thanx for considering it.

What I have done is made a small CNC machine. I don't have a Y table because I will use it as an axis to make the rings. Some of the ring designs I have are fairly complicated and it would be impossible, not to mention time consuming, for me to figure out the Z settings for each cut.

As I stated before some of my designs are fairly complicated and use celtic knots, skulls, ring settings. One thing I am working on now are Indian spin rings. The spin ring is actually two rings, one fit inside the other, so that the outside ring spins around the bottom ring.

If you could help me out with this you have an instant customer.

Attached is a fairly simple spin ring in .dwf format.

-=wEsLeY=-

MetLHead
02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi Wesley,

I looked at the drawing you attached, and it appears to be a 3D mesh of your part. Since NCPlot is not a CAD/CAM system, it will only create G-Code from drawings that already represent the toolpath. I don't think that it will do what you need from a drawing like this, I think you should be looking at a CAM program to do this.

Thanks,
Scott

7ofclubs
02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanxs Scott,

I appreciate your time, can you recommend a good, cheap, CAM program?

-=wEsLeY=-

MetLHead
02-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Wesley,

I'm not a CAM expert, but there's a system called RhinoCAM that runs inside of Rhino. I don't know anything about it, but I hear about it a lot so I thought I'd mention it. I'm sure there are others here on the Zone that can give you some expert advice, you could try starting a new thread and see if anybody can help you with this.

Thanks,
Scott

tobyaxis
02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanxs Scott,

-=wEsLeY=-

Wesley,

Check this Forum out here on CNC Zone and These other three. You might find what your looking for.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

http://www.emastercam.com/

http://216.117.147.20/bobcadsupport/forums/

http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

Cheers!!!!!:rainfro:

turmite
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanxs Scott,

-=wEsLeY=-

http://www.ob.com/catalog/no-charge-madcam-competitive-upgrade-p-200.html

NOCharge is about as cheap as youcan get.....but you have to have rhino 3d to make it work>

Mike

ps.....I'm terribly intrigued on your design and how you are going to get it to work? Care to share? or top secret?

Fairbanks
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I recommend ProNCE editor from DLoG. Can download 30 day trial from www.dlogsfdm.com

rippersoft
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Try CamBam. Totally free, needs .Net 2.0 to run. You will also find a thread at:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14963

This thread has many pages to digest.

Here is the designer's website:
http://www.brusselsprout.org/CAMBAM/

RipperSoftware

wildcat
02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Wow! Why the heck can't Mach estimate run time this fast? Nice looking program. Is ncplot able to perform the instructions on simulated stock material? Also, what will be the final cost after the pre-release offer expires?

This is it!! The last NCPlot beta is now available, and the release of NCPlot v2.00 has been scheduled for March 1st! The pre-release pricing offer will expire at release, so take advantage of it while you still can...

MetLHead
02-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Wildcat,

NCplot only gives you a wireframe graphic, so there's no simulation of the part stock.

Initial pricing of NCPlot v2 will be set at about $300. Of course, there will be discounts for students and educators and multiple license purchases. NCPlot licenses can be purchased on the NCPlot website and will also be available through Mike Lynch's site, www.cncci.com

Thanks,
Scott

wildcat
02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Is there an idea of what maintenance releases might cost in the future?

MetLHead
02-15-2007, 07:22 AM
All version 2.xx updates will be free for registered users. There will be a small upgrade fee when version 3.0 is released.

Thanks,
Scott

just_lkn
02-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Let me start with a small introduciton. I'm new to the world of cnc and plan to start building my own CNC router soon. I've aquired the steppers, drivers etc and have it all working nicely (on my desk), with the demo of Mech3. Actual assemply of the table will be several weeks away (I dont have a heated workshop and living in Canada it's a little cold )

I've stumbled across NCPlot and proceeded importing DXF files and generating G codes, running cutting simulations. I'm 99.99999 % sure I'll purchase this program but have of question.

How would I cut a pocket (not sure if that the right term) using NC plot?
The example I'll use is cutting a hole in of my board 1/2 way through and completly route the center. Another example would be to cut a 1" ridge around the outside edges of the project.

MetLHead
02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi,

NCPlot cannot automatically create code to cut out irregular pockets, but it does come with a cycle for circular pocketing and some other types of cycles. If you go to the menu "Tools" and click "Macro Translator" you will see a list of the included cycles. Just click one of the cycles, fill in the required settings and then click "Execute". The cycle will run with the settings you entered and the G-Code will be inserted into your program. The cycles that are included are fairly simple examples of what can be done with this tool. If you know how to program in Fanuc Macro B, you can add your own cycles that do whatever you want.

Thanks,
Scott

MetLHead
02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I should mention that the NCPlot RC4 download has been updated a few times in the last couple of weeks. It's still called RC4, but I've fixed a few more things. The latest version is dated 2/11.

If you have problems with the Macro Translator then try downloading the latest version. There was a version available for a few days in which this was not working.

Thanks,
Scott

tobyaxis
02-16-2007, 03:48 AM
I should mention that the NCPlot RC4 download has been updated a few times in the last couple of weeks. It's still called RC4, but I've fixed a few more things. The latest version is dated 2/11.

If you have problems with the Macro Translator then try downloading the latest version. There was a version available for a few days in which this was not working.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

Do we just save over the old Version of V2 or uninstall and reinstall the new one? Is there a Check for Updates in the Help Menu?

:rainfro:

MetLHead
02-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Toby,

You can either uninstall the old one first or just install over the top of it. I haven't had any problems doing it either way. There isn't a Check for Updates menu, you'll just have to come back to the website once in a while and see :)

Thanks,
Scott

tobyaxis
02-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Toby,

You can either uninstall the old one first or just install over the top of it. I haven't had any problems doing it either way. There isn't a Check for Updates menu, you'll just have to come back to the website once in a while and see :)

Thanks,
Scott

Ok thanks!! Oh BTW do we have to reregister or is that automatic?

Cheers!!!!!!!!:)

MetLHead
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Ok thanks!! Oh BTW do we have to reregister or is that automatic?

Cheers!!!!!!!!:)

NCPlot should stay registered either way.

Scott

tobyaxis
02-16-2007, 11:14 AM
NCPlot should stay registered either way.

Scott

COOL!!!!!!:)

MDLang
02-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Just in case anyone is curious. I have the latest version of Cimco that came bundled with Mastercam. My boss gets really pissed when he comes in and sees me using NCplot because the expensive software he purchased sucks!

I told this too the lady who installed and configured Cimco and Mastercam for us and she was all defensive, so I showed her NCplot side by side with Cimco running the same program and she had nothing to say but "Where did you find this?"

It's not high res. like Cimco but NCplot is light years more usefull.

Mike

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm glad I bought a Seat on NC Plot then.
Kodos to Scott Martinez and NC Plot !!!!:)

MetLHead
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Just in case anyone is curious. I have the latest version of Cimco that came bundled with Mastercam. My boss gets really pissed when he comes in and sees me using NCplot because the expensive software he purchased sucks!

I told this too the lady who installed and configured Cimco and Mastercam for us and she was all defensive, so I showed her NCplot side by side with Cimco running the same program and she had nothing to say but "Where did you find this?"

It's not high res. like Cimco but NCplot is light years more usefull.

Mike

Wow, thanks Mike! Now that's saying a lot!

Scott

tobyaxis
02-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Wow, thanks Mike! Now that's saying a lot!

Scott

Credit is not just Given, it is Earned my friend.:)

MetLHead
02-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Just a quick update:

The NCPlot RC4 download has been updated again. Changes in this version include:

The DXF to G-Code output will no longer retract the Z unnecessarily between passes. This only affects layers in which the Z Increment setting is enabled.

Improved the Colorizing tool. The "Colorize" menu item is now an On/Off setting with a checkmark indicating that it is on. When on, the program will automatically colorize as you type. Plus, the colors will update whenever a translation or formatting command is performed. Refreshing the graphics view will also update the colors.

For the complete, up-to-date list of changes check the release notes after installing this update.

NCPlot v2 can be downloaded from:
www.ncplot.com

Thanks,
Scott

tobyaxis
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
LOL, are you almost done updating????

Thanks for the UpDate

Cheers!!!!!!!!!

wildcat
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Ordered up my copy. This is really nice software. It is pretty simple in principle but it does what it does VERY well. If you have not tried it have a look especially while the intro pricing is going on.

Any chance of adding stock simulation at a later point? Seems like that could be an interface design headache figuring out a reasonable way to describe and associate tools with the G code. However, if done well that feature would be really nice and powerful.

tobyaxis
02-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Ordered up my copy. This is really nice software. It is pretty simple in principle but it does what it does VERY well. If you have not tried it have a look especially while the intro pricing is going on.

Any chance of adding stock simulation at a later point? Seems like that could be an interface design headache figuring out a reasonable way to describe and associate tools with the G code. However, if done well that feature would be really nice and powerful.

I'm sure Scott is working on something. What is really great about NC Plot is the Sub-Program Support. Now you can do more jumping from the Main to multiple Subs and not get too lost. Macro Support is great for learning too.

NC Plot is a Valuable Tool for CNC Lathe and Mill Programmers.

MetLHead
02-24-2007, 12:53 PM

I agree that this would be very nice, and it's something that I'm hoping to do sometime in the future. It adds a whole level of complexity and is not easy to do, but then again nothing's been easy so far :)

Thanks,
Scott

kiwichris
02-25-2007, 04:10 AM
I think it'd be a 'nice to have' but not that necessary...

Also adding full simulation would ruin some of the suprise element in using a CNC machine.

I have a small tooling lathe that I temporarily cnc'd and it was quite exciting watching it stall out as the rapid moves tried to pass the cutter through the chuck. :-).

BTW, thanks steve for the fast delivery of the rego code, Yours is the first software I purchased personally since I switched to Linux 5 years ago.. Just gotta get it working under wine now. :)

Cheers, Chris H.

tobyaxis
02-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Scott,

Just got two more seats of NC Plot:D . One is for the Lap Top and the other for a Friend that isn't on the Internet. He had a Problem with Norton a few years back and won't put a PC online again LOL.(chair)

Is is possible to activate his seat even though he isn't Online? Are there any Special Steps to Take?:confused:

Thanks!!!!

BTW: This guy has been Programming CNC Mills and Lathes since they came out. He has seen and used Cimco Edit, but was Highly Impressed on how good your Software Works. He Loved it and will be very happy when this gift arrives!!!!!

Cheers Buddy!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

MetLHead
02-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks Toby! Your keys have been sent...

You do not need to be online in order to register NCPlot, so there's nothing special you need to do.

Thanks,
Scott

tobyaxis
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks Toby! Your keys have been sent...

You do not need to be online in order to register NCPlot, so there's nothing special you need to do.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks Scott,

The Month is closing fast and I might get one more seat if I can get a new Lap Top. The Dell M90 WorkStation:D Have a look at this Animal. It Screems POWER!!!!!!:eek:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/precn_m90?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

turmite
02-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Scott have you decided what the post-release price will be?
I want the software but I reallllllllllllly need to wait a little while.

Mike

MetLHead
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Scott have you decided what the post-release price will be?
I want the software but I reallllllllllllly need to wait a little while.

Mike

Mike,

The release pricing has been set at $299. You will be able to order from the NCPlot home page www.ncplot.com or at Mike Lynch's CNC Concepts page www.cncci.com.

If you are a business or can order through a business, I can accept purchase orders. This would allow you to order now at the reduced price.

Thanks,
Scott

Dave1
04-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Scott,
Just wanted to say "GREAT JOB" on V2.x it is a very useful piece of software. I really like the real time editing plus the back plotting is fantastic. Glad I purchased it when I did.

Keep up the awesome work!

Dave