PDA

View Full Version : Slow machine response inquiry

spoiledbrat
01-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I have been running Mach3 since it came out, and mach 2 before that. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

When I have a large program loaded (230,000 lines of parallel finishing, for instance), the machine is slow to respond to my manual jogging commands, particularly when I release a key. It seems like it is almost 1/2 a second before the machine stops moving sometimes. I can understand why that may happen, as I simply must be bogging down my 1 GB of RAM.
I would like to know if this is manifesting itself in my carvings.
If that is the case, I may need to upgrade my computer.

BTW: Do they still make motherboard with 5V ttl parallel ports?

:banana:

I always thought the banana was the funniest...

GaryCorlew
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Yes I had that problem today, I don't know how many lines the file was but it was just over 11 meg. It was a real sob to jog around. My carving ran for about 6 hours There were no problems at all with the carving and I think it would have showed up in it, I ran the carving first in one direction x to x then y to y. And by the way I have 2 gig of ram. I read a thread on here about motherboards I think it was torchhead (<- from candcnc.com)who said you could get them at newegg.com but you had to go into the server motherboard section to get one with a p port.

ger21
01-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Try turning off the toolpath display before loading the file. The toolpath display uses large amounts of memory. You can turn it off in the diagnostics screen. Lower left corner.

GaryCorlew
01-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes I have used that before, Now(when I remember) I usually just get x,y & z where I want it then load the file

Torchhead
01-30-2007, 01:02 AM
A lot of the upgrade Motherboards still come with a full communication riser. I just bought a 3 Gig AMD CPU Elitegroup 761GX-M745 (came in today). Motherboard/CPU/Fan set were $89.00. Has Parallel port, serial, USB, Sound Card, Ethernet, and on-board video.

Newegg seems to be the best (most consistant) for a wide choice. I have had good luck with the ECS Elitegroup board and chip sets. They get good reviews on the site as well.

N4NV
01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
It seems like it is almost 1/2 a second before the machine stops moving sometimes.

If you have the backlash compensation enabled it will do that.

Vince