PDA

View Full Version : Restarting a job half way through after PC crash

cpcp
01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I had a power blip on my PC which froze Mach3 halfway through a job. The cutter simply stopped moving and I recorded the exact XYZ co-ordinates of the job before rebooting.

When I reboot the PC how do I tell Mach3 where the cutter is on the job?

For example say the cutter is half way through an arc on line 200 of Gcode and the cutter position is 200,100,-12.

Thanks for any help.

CPCP

wildcat
01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
You could type the values into the DRO and hit return on the Program page, then raise the head up a little for clearance and restart the program. If anything caused the mill to move in a way that was not recorded the final part will have some goof-ups. Alternatively, if the point that you originally touched off from still exists then simply find your origin point again and restart. Good luck.

ger21
01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Type the line number in above the run from here button, and then click the "Run from Here" button. This only works on licensed versions, though. You can't restart in the middle of a move, though.

miljnor
01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Even on commercial machinery it is risky to start from the middle of the program.

I would recommend starting from the previous tool change and go from there, and just re-cut the already done parts.

unless there is very little accuracy and you can clean up mistakes by hand,..... then you can do it anyway you want :D

Switcher
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
I would go from the last "Z-axis" lift off, & start from that point with the info Ger21 gave you in post #3.

Then just re-cut like miljnor suggested.

fractaledge3
01-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi,
From the point that Switcher gives You, also you can delete all lines of G-code before the last "Z-axis" lift off,and then use the rest of your file.

wildcat
01-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Canned cycles, increment/absolute moves changes, fixture changes, all could really mess up starting in the middle. Play it safe, touch off from a known point and cut air for a while.

Switcher
01-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Good point wildcat, considering that it stopped at line 200.

For example say the cutter is half way through an arc on line 200 of Gcode and the cutter position is 200,100,-12.

cpcp
01-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks everyone, will combine your ideas and cut air to see where I stand.

Thanks again!

RobtL
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
might be way off in left field here....

But, wouldn't the problem be at this point that you have lost zero?

Lets say your cordinates are: 200, 100, -12 ( and the machine has not moved)

Is there a way to type in: -200,-100, 12 to get the machine back to its zero point? Zero the settings, and then run the program from the start?

I guess what I am asking is: Can you type a coordinate relative to current physical position of the machine and have the machine travel to that coordinate? How would you do this? sorry if that is a stupid question, I'm still new to cnc etc.