PDA

View Full Version : Purring mill

wildcat
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Does your IH CNC mill purr when idle? Mine purrs ever sec to 1/2 sec. Some axis purr more than others. I was just curious if this is common or not. I have tried adjusting the dampening and gain but the purring does not really improve.

dnelso
01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
My mill does not purr.

Cruiser
01-16-2007, 06:59 AM
WC, Mine did for a while, it is in the gain damping of geckos, i had the missgiving that it was good ! Later i tuned them down to quiet and now they will sit all day without a peep. And run pretty good too

wildcat
01-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Hmmm. I have tried adjusting the dampening but doing so only seemed to make the noise worse. Is there a critical amount in the middle of the dampening range or should the sound be gone if I swing the dampening to one of the extremes?

Cruiser
01-16-2007, 06:55 PM
WC, Gain & Damping work hand in hand ..... try backing off the gain a touch and redampen, listen, back off another touch till she be calm and quiet then drive it around some ..... it'll still drive nice if not nicer ! I thought more was better but what it is ending up with is more is stiffer and more seeking. back it down and it won't be so stiff and it will be content to set in one place without seeking ! That is the simple of it as I have come to know it ! hope it helps.

wildcat
01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, I tinkered with this last night for several hours and found the noise could be made a LOT worse but really a great deal better. I even got the o-scope out and cracked open the Gecko to follow the fine tuning instructions. I'm starting to lean towards leaving well enough alone :) I could get the motors to stop making noise but then a short time after moving the table a little they would go right back to purring every second or so.