PDA

View Full Version : Grex control

Chris64
01-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm hoping that someone can give me a simple explaination on how to control a Grex.

I'm familiar with typical crude parallel stepper systems where you would send the correct bit state. In my experiences with them parallel speed wasn't a problem compared to the capabilities of the motors themselves.

I'm guessing, in order to support more than 3 axis, they've changed the useage from being 3 x 4 bit ports to something like 8 bits for motor id and 4 for current motor state or similar...honestly, I just don't know.

How would a computer tell a grex to move motor #1 to move to point x and motor #2 to move to point y and to arrive at the same time. Would it handle micro steps or would it handle whole tasks? Is it different for servos vs steppers?

I'm reading the documentation but it helps to understand the fundamentals because so far it seems like the documentation asumes you understand this part.

Mariss Freimanis
01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
The G-Rex generates step pulses and executes motion control algorithms using a built-in microcomputer. The communication to the G-Rex is in the form of ASCII commands.

Mariss

ger21
01-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Have you read the Geckomotion docs? In the files section of the Geckodrive Yahoo group. http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oKWhRSk9XGU9gshQ51HQhKNcqOHtHE6q2p79AHjddLCVhaZLnzDE4p_wSywe9T3u185C-F8zP7u7nj6tBDK9H5MhH8C-5Boe/G100%20and%20G101/GeckoMotion%20Manual%20060606.pdf

I believe that Mariss is on a cruise ship right now, and didn't have time to go into more detail. :)

Chris64
01-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks...that was exactly what I was looking for. Eventually I found it in the docs as well.

I'm very excited about this. It seems much easier to program than I was expecting. Hopefully it performs like the specs say.