PDA

View Full Version : Used IH mill... maybe for sale

Zumba
01-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I bought an IH mill about a year and a half ago. Six months ago, I disassembled it to prepare it for a CNC coversion. I never got around to it, and current priorities go to building CNC wood routers from scratch.

Think I'll get a decent price for a disassembled bench mill?

Runner4404spd
01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
probably not a great price. they are available for around 1800 depending on when you order it. and they will be importing them again. i would guess that its worth less than $1000 in a disassembled state unless someone really wants it.

i would consider it if you were closer. but i already have two of them and i'm waiting on the cnc kit to show up. do you have the cnc parts or just the mill?

Zumba
01-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I only have the mill. It's located in Northern CA. I paid $2400 shipped, so I'm hoping to get $1200. I believe the $1800 price doesn't include shipping. If there aren't any takers, I'll probably refinish the mill, convert it to CNC, and then sell the whole thing as complete turn-key CNC. Probably sell it on ebay for around $4k. Won't be for awhile though... I just don't have the time right now.

If anyone out there is thinking about buying this, keep in mind that the machine is COMPLETELY disassembled. For someone who has experience with square column mills, this is a good thing... I probably saved you about 2-3 hours of time and local pickup will be a cinch. But if you don't have experience with these mills, you may be scratching your head for awhile figuring out what the hell goes where. Reassembly of the X/Y table is pretty easy. But the Z-axis is a PITA with the handcrank and bevel gears... I would not waste my time reassembling it without a ballscrew and servo/stepper motor.

Also, don't expect a pretty machine. This machine was ugly out of the box and is a notch uglier after being in my shop for 18 months, disassembled for 6. I would highly recommend a new paint job for aesthetics.

Anyway, I mainly posted to see if there would be any interest. If you have experience with square column mills, you can probably get this machine converted to CNC for as little as $2K including the price of the machine.

dneisler
01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
To bad you are not closer to TX, I may would be interested.

Loadedagain
01-03-2007, 08:09 PM
hey zumba... finish it!

the new mills have bigger z axis flanges (more rigid heads), hardened ways, and other things that make them a bit better. assembled your mill (and i have one too so i'm not picking on you) is probably about $1500-1600 brand new in the crate (i've seen them for less on sale). freight is an incidental so that doesn't count... but... it's used and even worse...disassembled! so i wouldn't expect to get more than about 600-800 for it (%50 new value).

krymis
01-04-2007, 10:19 AM
zum,

pm me with detail of what you want and time frame....I may be interested.

Zumba
01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Some pics if you're interested.

Photoezzz (http://www.glacern.com/IH.htm) :rainfro:

Ready for pickup immediately. 2-day crating delay if shipped.

machine_51
01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
PM sent.

Alanjay
04-20-2007, 11:16 AM
pm sent.

ProGunOne
04-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Is this mill still available?