PDA

View Full Version : One more JGRO up and running...

edo
12-21-2006, 01:13 AM
I've been working on this for about two months and finally got it up and running this week. It's built from the JGRO plans, with the only changes being the use of 1/2" Acme rods for the X and Y. The controller is the HobbyCNC kit w/200oz steppers housed in a custom built plexiglass case.
I tried TurboCNC, Master 5, and Ubuntu EMC on an older 750MHz computer with Win98SE, but picked up a 2.26GHz Dell Optiplex off of eBay last week for $127 with XP Pro and am now running Mach 3. I'm running a trim router and speed controller from Harbor Freight that seems to work just fine engraving with a V-bit. I haven't found any software yet that will consistently convert BMP to usable DXF (tried Inkscape, TurboCad, Corel) and the only program that's successfully created usable G-code is KCAM. I'm going to have lots of questions as I start using this thing, but so far I've had a great time and will probably spend the rest of the holidays in the garage.

jmytyk
12-21-2006, 03:27 AM
nice....

Rodm1954
12-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Well done and a very neat build

Greolt
12-21-2006, 04:53 AM
That looks like a terrific effort there edo. Your going to have a lot of fun with that.

I bet when you see all the things you are making with it that the next machine will
be on the go before you know it. Watch out it's addictive.:p

tajord
12-21-2006, 07:14 AM
hey edo congrats on your build:cheers:, it's great to see you saw it through and completed,I hope to finish mine within the next three weeks, I guess now the fun begins, what are you planning to cut with it? post some pics.

edo
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Most immediately, I need to cut some parts for my wife, which should more than justify the machine's existence. I'll be cutting templates in 1/2" MDF for her to use with her quilting machine. I also need to cut some tracks and gears to automatically roll the quilt, and eventually, add steppers to the carriage to automate the whole quilting thing. The auto roll will be similar to the Max Throat shown here (http://maxthroat.com/maxworks.htm). If anyone has done anything like this, I'd sure like to hear about it.