PDA

View Full Version : axis conventions in turbocnc

fyffe555
02-07-2004, 05:31 PM
As mentioned in another message I've built a new controller and redoing all the electrics on my machine. During the process I'm rethinking stuff I did in a hurry to get the new toy working. I'm wondering about the conventions used for defining the direction of an xyz machine. Presently I've X and Y following the cursor keys but Z is positive going down? I set home as 'X and Y bottom left' and Z as 'up to the top'. What does anyone else do?

I've been Gcoding simple stuff with ace and by hand so far so its not been an issue but I assume that code generating programs with 3d paths must allow you to set home and direction's ? Would anyone recommend a cam type product that's good without breaking the bank that works with TurboCNC.

Have to say the more I use it the more I like it - a nice tight an effective product so thank's Dave - looking forward to V4..

HuFlungDung
02-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Fyfff555,

Convention for most cad and cadcam programs would be to have the Z- direction going down into the work. This is a safe method, because if you forget to put the negative sign in a Z move, the tool moves to clearance. Guess what happens on your machine? ;)

Other than that, X+ is rightward on the screen, and is also "cutter feeding rightwards" on the machine. Y+ is "into the screen" or tool feeding away from your belly if you are facing the machine with X+ on your right.

The XY convention on your screen compared to the machine is basically whatever you are comfortable visualizing. And, so long as your machine doesn't make a left-handed part when you wanted a right-handed part, you should be okay.