PDA

View Full Version : Calling all NE Ohio people!!!!

freak_brain
12-13-2006, 09:29 AM
There are a few of us that are looking at having a local "get together" with hobby machine builders in NEO. If you are interested in meeting with us please post on this thread.

As far as what we will be discussing or any formal type meeting, I don't think anyone wants it to be anything that is set in stone as to what we will do or discuss. Just get together and BS about our machines, what we are doing to them and asking for help with whatever problems we may have.

If interested then lets talk!!

I am in barberton, akron area. Please put in your area if you post on this thread so I can come up with a place that is close for everyone.

Have a good one!!!

Allen

tgreening
12-15-2006, 12:52 AM
There are a few of us that are looking at having a local "get together" with hobby machine builders in NEO. If you are interested in meeting with us please post on this thread.

As far as what we will be discussing or any formal type meeting, I don't think anyone wants it to be anything that is set in stone as to what we will do or discuss. Just get together and BS about our machines, what we are doing to them and asking for help with whatever problems we may have.

If interested then lets talk!!

I am in barberton, akron area. Please put in your area if you post on this thread so I can come up with a place that is close for everyone.

Have a good one!!!

Allen

I'm interested. I built the "old" large solsyla table but the new belt drive version looks darn interesting. I just bought a sherline mill /lathe that I want to convert over to cnc control. The router table is fun, but it doesn't lend itself well to "tinkering" without sacrificing family time. It's out in the garage and for some reason the rest of the family doesn't choose to hang out there. I figured the sherlines are small enough to set up in just about any location and allow me to continue (read begin) figuring out the cad/cam end of things.

My big downfall is not having any real skill in cad.

Tom... Canton area.

aspenelm
12-15-2006, 10:39 AM
another here, in northern portage county.

working on a building a couple of cnc routers.

Jim.

tgreening
12-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Boy, that petered out pretty quick! :) Where did all the interest go?

Bob Cole
12-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Perhaps people just dream about building and never get past that. I am in Berlin Center, and am available for a meeting. I have most of my parts already. just need to finalize a few plans and my build will be starting after the Christmas holiday.

Let me know where and when you all want to get together.

bob C.

aspenelm
01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Come on guys lets talk, now that the holidays are over. Another option if no one wants to meet we could use IM. I use Google talk.

Over the break, I cut a sign out with my wood frame router. It came out real nice. This was the first real test I have done with it. Need to do something for dust collection before going much further. I have 2 possibly 3 routers in the works as future projects, all metal frames. Does anyone have any news on their routers or plans?

tgreening
01-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Come on guys lets talk, now that the holidays are over. Another option if no one wants to meet we could use IM. I use Google talk.

Over the break, I cut a sign out with my wood frame router. It came out real nice. This was the first real test I have done with it. Need to do something for dust collection before going much further. I have 2 possibly 3 routers in the works as future projects, all metal frames. Does anyone have any news on their routers or plans?

I think I finally got my table top mill working properly. I think in the spring I'm going to have another go at the homebuilt router. I had intended to look into belt drive since I wasn't crazy about the all-thread performance. Still up for a meeting somewhere as well.

aspenelm
01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
tgreening, thats cool. what are you going to make? those sherlines are pretty neat. I am still sorting out my cad/cam options. There is next to nothing for Linux, so I am using another machine with windows. I have a previous version of TurboCad but do not like it all that well. I like Sketchup but it is pretty basic.

where did freak_brain go?

tgreening
01-05-2007, 10:03 PM
tgreening, thats cool. what are you going to make? those sherlines are pretty neat. I am still sorting out my cad/cam options. There is next to nothing for Linux, so I am using another machine with windows. I have a previous version of TurboCad but do not like it all that well. I like Sketchup but it is pretty basic.

where did freak_brain go?

I don't have any particular projects in mind. I'm just your basic gadget freak and like nothing better than tinkering with "gadgets", especially if it's somehow tied to a computer. The router table OTOH will probably have some practical use once I get it up and running properly. The wife likes designing and building bits of furniture here and there and I can see potential use there. Here again, my downfall is cad experience and weakness in the use of milling/machining related software in general.

The first useful project I did was on the sherline mill and that was to mill out a row of 4 db-9 connector openings in the faceplate of the enclosure I used to house the electronics. Pretty plain jane but it was the first USEFULL thing I managed to get done with my milling/routing gear.

The router table never did get anything useful done because 1) I could never get the electronics functioning reliably, and 2) winter rolled around and I needed the garage space for my vehicles. My basement is finished and not a very convenient place for a sawdust factory. For that reason I bought the sherline gear because I can set it up in my spare room upstairs and continue to fiddle with CNC related stuff.

aspenelm
01-05-2007, 11:26 PM
tgreening, I am sure you will find no end of things to make on the sherline. I am already scheming, but have to stick to 28"x20" area of my router. can I ask what your using for you cad,cam, and controller software. On my router I am using emc2 for the controller. However for cad/cam I was using a trial of vcarve to produce the sign. I am exploring options for cad/cam. I too am learning the software steps required to produce the part.

tgreening
01-06-2007, 12:24 AM
tgreening, I am sure you will find no end of things to make on the sherline. I am already scheming, but have to stick to 28"x20" area of my router. can I ask what your using for you cad,cam, and controller software. On my router I am using emc2 for the controller. However for cad/cam I was using a trial of vcarve to produce the sign. I am exploring options for cad/cam. I too am learning the software steps required to produce the part.

I haven't heard of emc2, but I'm using Mach3 for control. It works for milling, routing, lathe, plasma, etc. While it can be somewhat complicated to set up the support seems great and timely which is important.

I've played with vcarve as well and without a doubt it's an awesome program but as cheap as it is compared to the competition, it's still quite a bit to swallow for someone who is just a hobbiest. If signmaking is your business it would be tough to beat.

For cad I'm trying to bash my way through autocad and so far have barely scratched the surface. So far actually drawing a part seems to be the least of the difficulties. Properly setting up a drawing seems to be THEE single most important thing in autocad, and it can be complicated as all hell to my inexperienced brain.

aspenelm
01-06-2007, 01:04 AM
tgreening, emc2 is a free controller for the linux system. I read that long ago, mach2/3 was derived from emc and they bear no resemblance now. emc2 was a little tricky to set up the config files for the distance moved in one step of the motor for each axis. But it seems to work so far.

I'm not intending to go into the sign business. Just would like to make a couple for myself and a few to give away. I wont be purchasing vcarve anytime soon.

are you doing 2d or 3d in autocad? I played around with r12 a few years ago, and 2d was pretty easy. Never got into the 3d. It was also before I had any knowledge/interest in cnc.

rovingmind
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi everybody, NW ohio here,(toldeo area).

I'm just getting interested in cnc machining. I'm looking at various designs and thinking about a 4 axis router design. I'll most likely look at a 3 axis first for practice. I've been doing Cad work with Blender3d. It exports into .stl format. I've started using an .stl to g-code converter and cncsimulator to start learning g-code. My wife and I are in the process of buying a house so everything except software practice will have to wait until summer. If you guys are going to have an IM meeting I'm in. Which IM will be used, AIM or Messenger?

aspenelm
01-07-2007, 11:45 PM
rovingmind,
welcome, glad to have another ohioan here. I had only mentioned IM as an option. I am waiting to hear from any others as to whether they would like a local meeting or just use IM to get started. Or you could just buy a house here in NE Ohio and attend the local meeting!

ps. There is another thread for ohio as well, and I recall some other members being from NW Ohio. You may also want to get in contact with them. But you are welcome to talk here as well.

Any one that is interested in either one please speak up. There are no particular skills or requirements. Most of us are just learning the software or constructing our machines.

aspenelm
01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
last chance for anyone else, we are having a meeting this weekend in Hartville. PM me for time and location.

x6xtyx9x
02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm in northern central Ohio... Like this idea of grouping us OHCNC nuts. Especially since Ohio is dying in the industry as it appears for the most part.

aspenelm
02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Hello 69, good to hear of another Ohioan. We had a nice small informal meeting. It would be nice if we kept it going a few times a year.

It is a shame that many manufacturing jobs are disappearing due to jobs/products going overseas.

x6xtyx9x
02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I know a great place we could meet at about 45 minutes from the true center of Ohio. Golf club with big screen tv for presentations and in house food. Doesn't cost much to rent out... Keep in touch we could make this a big deal.

aspenelm
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Presentations???

x6xtyx9x
02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah, they have business presentations done there. I was interested in the place after having the idea of presenting my business to others (once it gets going). Another idea was to go there for dinner with clients and use the screen to allow for viewing of the part/process for discussion.

In our case, a system like that would be good to show off what we do and what we have. Just an idea.

fade2black
03-13-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm in NE Ohio, Mentor area, and would be interested in meeting up with some more knowledgeable people. :) I am looking to build a 3 axis and the amount of info here is almost overwhelming!

-Paul

aspenelm
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome! I believe there is another person from mentor in the other ohio thread (bitten by cnc bug in ohio), you guys might be neighbors. Would like to hear from some more people in NE ohio and perhaps we can set up another meeting.

Gncc50
07-12-2007, 12:11 AM
From McDonald, Ohio (just outside of Youngstown) Have a small shop. Seems like there is quite a few people in this area.

damianpoirier
07-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm in Cleveland, but through secondlife i can meet up with people all over the world, demonstrate and discuss 3d objects in real time with all those people.

Secondlife is getting voice now too so it's even easier than cnczone !!!

come on meet me there.
Zen Zeddmore
James SW
Secondlife internet

werfvcd
01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I would be interested in meeting with you guys. I live in the Wooster area.
I grew up with a CNC mill conversion and would love to build one from scratch.

mc-motorsports
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm in Perry, as in east of Cleveland and a stone throw from the power plant, not the columbus area. Anyone else from the area?