PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM: X axis "wiggle" ?

Kosh
11-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey, good news/bad news.

I got all the electronics hooked up and the machine moving for the first time tonight!

Bad news: My x-axis has what is best described as a "wiggle" when it starts moving. It's like the slave and master aren't starting to step at the same time?

Link to a video below but now sure if it will be noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4NJb5QVXRE

- Something loose on the frame?
- Not squared?
- Is there some tuning that must be done between the X and A axis motors?
- Is the cable length difference between the two axis' significant? Should they both be the same length?

Also, the configuration I downloaded from the the CNCRouterparts site had the slave axis configured as "B". Shouldn't it be "A"?

in addition, my z axis was set so that page up made it move down. I switched the settings, but why was it defaulted like that?

Thanks.

ahren
11-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Kosh,

I believe I recall from your previous post that you are using a G540 -- if this is the case, you should be using the CRP100 XML file from our site. The only files that slave the B axis should be the CRP800 XML files, which is reserved for our newer digital pre-wired systems. These systems support 5 axes, so we slave the B axis to leave the A axis DRO open for a rotary or other auxiliary axis. If you have not changed the slave axis to the A, the X axis side could be fighting with the slave, which will cause odd behavior like what you are seeing.

Mechanically, you will want to check the set screws on the motor pulleys to make sure these are tight on both sides. Feel free to contact us directly tomorrow and we can help you get this straightened out.

Best regards,

Ahren
CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com)

Kosh
11-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Thx ahren, yeah, got the 800 file. Will fix tomorrow (too cold out there now!)

LeeWay
11-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Nice looking machine. :)

Kosh
11-17-2015, 05:38 PM
RESOLVED.

Ahren called me and we worked through it. The issue is the A axis was "dragging" along, because the A-axis output on the Gecko G540 is apparently bad. Motor not moving at all!

After discussing with them, I decided to upgrade to the MX4660 controller.

Great support from CNCRouterparts once again.

LeeWay
11-17-2015, 05:57 PM
I recently upgraded a G540 to that drive on my plasma cutter and I could tell a different in them. Much smoother running now. You are going to like that decision. The Gecko had a pin over heating in the socket on A and Y axis. I will send it back at some point to see if it is worth getting repaired.

LeeWay
11-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Oh yeah. Hardly any motor heating at all with the new drive.

FandZ
11-23-2015, 02:52 AM
I recently upgraded a G540 to that drive on my plasma cutter and I could tell a different in them. Much smoother running now. You are going to like that decision. The Gecko had a pin over heating in the socket on A and Y axis. I will send it back at some point to see if it is worth getting repaired.

Did it effect the cuts on your plasma cutter? I'm looking to use my G540 on a plasma cutter build after the holidays.

LeeWay
11-23-2015, 03:45 AM
I don't think there was much difference in the cut quality from the swap. The THC and plasma cutter are temperamental beasts. Sometimes I get pristine cuts with almost no dross. Other times I get more. This is with fresh consumables, but there are so many variables with it that it is difficult to keep set precisely for each session.
I settle for acceptable cuts all of the time rather than perfect cuts. I basically crank it up and go with only a few steps depending on material being cut. Perfect cuts all of the time ain't happening. :)

To clarify, the profiles and holes are on the money either way. The quality of the cut is what changes.

FandZ
11-28-2015, 08:35 PM
I don't think there was much difference in the cut quality from the swap. The THC and plasma cutter are temperamental beasts. Sometimes I get pristine cuts with almost no dross. Other times I get more. This is with fresh consumables, but there are so many variables with it that it is difficult to keep set precisely for each session.
I settle for acceptable cuts all of the time rather than perfect cuts. I basically crank it up and go with only a few steps depending on material being cut. Perfect cuts all of the time ain't happening. :)

To clarify, the profiles and holes are on the money either way. The quality of the cut is what changes.

Thank you for your reply. When you say quality of cut are you talking about the edge? My goal is to plasma cut thin steel and sheet Stainless steel to be bent afterwards. I'm just wondering how much grinding work I'll have afterwards.

LeeWay
11-29-2015, 05:36 AM
I cut thin aluminum, CRS and 304 SS. None of my edges are as clean as a laser cut. I get my best cuts (meaning holes and profiles edge quality/dross) with fresh consumables. A small sheet of my parts can have a slew of pierce points. That actually determines my consumable life rather than distance cut I think. The fewer pierces I have, the longer they last. Cutting larger stuff for bending on a brake would yield better consumable life, so clean relatively dross free cuts for a longer period of time.

When My consumables are close to the end of the life in them, I usually try to cut my aluminum stuff out. It seems to still cut it very well. Hardly any dross with old consumables. Same as with new ones. I haven't cut a lot of thicker stuff. Over 1/4". I have only cut a few things in 1/4". I get about the same results with slower settings. Acceptable, but all need secondary grinding and/or sanding.