PDA

View Full Version : Two more of Joe's CNC Model 2006

JLT
12-09-2006, 05:18 PM
A little late but I built a Router Table from Joe's eDrawings back in march. It turned out so well that my son wanted one also so I built another one of them. We are having so much fun with them that I mised the summer season all together, or was there no summer this year?:) Been working on utililty drawers for it and a rack of 14 tools with automatic tool changer. This is working out real good.

I wan't to thank Joe for his time and generosity of his design.

Here are some photos of the build. I will post more photos (the drawers and changer etc) later.

JLT
12-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Here are some more photos.

JLT
12-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I can access from eather side.

HayTay
12-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Verrrrry nicely done! Love those sliding drawers. I can't wait for the toolchanger pics. Any plans or other information to go along with the toolchanger?

Great build, thank you for sharing.

JLT
12-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Changer:

Having trouble with uploading video.

Switcher
12-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Great machine!

I'm very interested in your toolchanger, looks like it mounts on the router? Is that correct?

You could zip your video up, & just post here as a zipped file.

Nice work!

JLT
12-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Video short clip:

The Quick change tool holder was patterned after
http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page1446.htm
I have one of these for my Mini Mill but they didn't have one for a 1/2" so I just made one out of AL with a 1/2" shaft to fit the router.

They only had 5 sizes of tool holders so I had to make them also.

The tool rack was made with the router out of corian.

Switcher
12-09-2006, 10:03 PM
WOW!!

That is Cool!

Thanks for the video, & the link. :)

Do you run Mach3?

JLT
12-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I run Turbocnc and use Sheetcam. It was easy to modify the post for sheetcam to accommodate the changer.

Jason Marsha
12-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Very impressive JLT, thanks for posting.

Jason

ger21
12-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Everyone's been waiting for years for an inexpensive ATC, and you're already using one. Nice. Very Nice. ;)

DayneInfo
12-10-2006, 08:44 AM
JLT - Very nice setup you have there. So here is the big question (at least for me) Interested in selling a tool changer setup?

Dwayne

Switcher
12-10-2006, 10:07 AM
JLT,

I really like that ATC.

I was looking at the site you posted http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index.htm , I understand how the tool (endmill, etc...) keeps from slipping in the holders, with a small set screw.

How does the holder keep from slipping (rotating), in the actual toolchanger? The toolchanger does not look like it would provide enough clamping preasure to keep the tool holder from slipping, I don't see any type of flat on the toolholder to give a positive stop. I may be wrong, I'm just really interested in that product (toolchanger).

It looks like you have a great setup going on in that video!

Any chance of a longer video, with some cutting and maybe a couple of toolchanges?

Also did you see the "Drill Chuck Holder" they have? http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page513.htm

Thanks for sharing your cool project. :)

bp092
12-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow I'm blown away. Your router looks cool and colossal in some of the pics. The automatic tool changer & video is extremely impressive. Joe should be thrilled when he sees it. One question, I'm assuming when you change tools in production, for two different kinds of cuts you would include that in the gcode. Assuming that it's running, makes it's passes, pulls back to the tool dock and shuts off before or during. But how does your router know when the spindle on your hitachi has fully stopped before it can release that bit and grab a new one or do you just set a certain amount of time? Thanks!

Greolt
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
That toolchanger looks cool.
Can't help wondering how the red part and spring handles 30,000 rpm and the fact that the tool is extended a long way from the collet.

Have you accidently run the gantry into a drawer yet :)

David Da Costa
12-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Could we get more info on your tool changer setup. Like you I have the quick tool changer on my Sherline mill and like it a lot.

Any chance of sharing the plans/ g-code for you tool holder as I would love to have a go at making one too.

Thanks

David

Mike F
12-10-2006, 04:10 PM
This must be just what many of us have been searching for, a simple, low cost, effective autochanger without spending megabucks.

I second the motion for more info on the tool changer. What about starting a new thread so we don't highjack JLT's build?

Mike

JLT
12-10-2006, 11:58 PM
JLT - Very nice setup you have there. So here is the big question (at least for me) Interested in selling a tool changer setup?

Dwayne

Never really thought of it as this is just a hobby. Still tweeking things.

JLT
12-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Could we get more info on your tool changer setup. Like you I have the quick tool changer on my Sherline mill and like it a lot.

Any chance of sharing the plans/ g-code for you tool holder as I would love to have a go at making one too.

Thanks

David

I have the DXF file i can post later.

JLT
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
JLT,

I really like that ATC.

I was looking at the site you posted http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index.htm , I understand how the tool (endmill, etc...) keeps from slipping in the holders, with a small set screw.

How does the holder keep from slipping (rotating), in the actual toolchanger? The toolchanger does not look like it would provide enough clamping preasure to keep the tool holder from slipping, I don't see any type of flat on the toolholder to give a positive stop. I may be wrong, I'm just really interested in that product (toolchanger).

Any chance of a longer video, with some cutting and maybe a couple of toolchanges?

Also did you see the "Drill Chuck Holder" they have? http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page513.htm

Working on a longer video.
Didn't see the Drill Chuck. Thanks

JLT
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
JLT,

I really like that ATC.

Working on a longer video.
Didn't see the Drill Chuck. Thanks

David Da Costa
12-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Great thanks!

David

I have the DXF file i can post later.

JLT
12-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Wow I'm blown away. Your router looks cool and colossal in some of the pics. The automatic tool changer & video is extremely impressive. Joe should be thrilled when he sees it. One question, I'm assuming when you change tools in production, for two different kinds of cuts you would include that in the gcode. Assuming that it's running, makes it's passes, pulls back to the tool dock and shuts off before or during. But how does your router know when the spindle on your hitachi has fully stopped before it can release that bit and grab a new one or do you just set a certain amount of time? Thanks!

Router shuts off befor pulling back.
Video will show this.

JLT
12-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Had to break up video in sections.

http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/Mov00427.mpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/mov00429.mpg

joecnc2006
12-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Ok, I am VERY Imperseed, I love what you have done with the machine, from the drawer slides, cable carrier's, Tool Changer, and the top cover over bearings., you have to get me info on the tool changer... lol

This is what I love about this community, people taking things and helping others, and improving the DIY and allowing the average peoson to have so much fun.

You got to love it.

bp092
12-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Wow thanks for the videos. What are you running for a controller and steppers? IPM? Nice work.

Jason Marsha
12-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Great videos JLT, thanks for posting. If you want you can post more, I never get tired of these gizmo's at work. :)

Any issues with the length of the tool changer causing the router or gantry to shift during deep cuts?

Jason

David Da Costa
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I am really impressed with the ATC. I have the quick changer on my Sherline mill including the drill chuck and they are really well made. I believe you can get 1/2" shank adapter from High Tech Systems see here http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page993.htm which I think should work okay with the Hitachi router.

Switcher
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
JLT,

Thanks for the longer videos, that answered all my questions. Now I can add that toolchanger to my parts list! :)

You get my vote, for "Best CNC Machine" of the year!

Switcher
12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I am really impressed with the ATC. I have the quick changer on my Sherline mill including the drill chuck and they are really well made. I believe you can get 1/2" shank adapter from High Tech Systems see here http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page993.htm which I think should work okay with the Hitachi router.

Thanks for the info on the "1/2" shank adapter", I looked at that page, & didn't notice that 1/2” could be ordered.

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page993.htm

Call if you need a 1/2” shank adapter instead of 3/8”.

JLT
12-11-2006, 12:58 PM

I see that now. That would have saved me allot of time but I had fun making my own.

JLT
12-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Wow thanks for the videos. What are you running for a controller and steppers? IPM? Nice work.

Xylotex
XS-3525/8S-3
3 DS/DS 269 oz.in. Steppers
24VDC 5.0A Power Supply
24VDC Fan

Rapids about 70 IPM but I rearly cut above 40 IPM.

This was built on a budget (Small one) so lead screws are all-thread from Tractor Supply, cheep (by the pound bolts) from TS etc.
Total cost with controller, old 266 computer. $900

JLT
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Great videos JLT, thanks for posting. If you want you can post more, I never get tired of these gizmo's at work. :)

Any issues with the length of the tool changer causing the router or gantry to shift during deep cuts?

Jason

Not so far but I don't take deep cuts.

ger21
12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
How fast have you spun that tool changer. Seems a little large for 20,000+ rpm.

David Da Costa
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I have been in communication with Derick at High Tech Systems and he confirms some of the possible dangers at spinning at such high speeds.

Here is what he says.

"The rapid changer is only guaranteed to 10,000rpm. The spring will will possibly come off after that speed. I have some heavy duty
springs that increase the pressure and should be able to hold up to the higher RPMs and horsepower. I have a 1/2" adapter for the Taig that screws on. You will need to take all responsibility for safety. I recommend a Plexiglass shield around the router in case something goes wrong.

I have been working on a ATC for the Rapid Changer for awhile now. I need to finish machining parts to see if it will work or need design changes. Goals have been durable, affordable, simple to use and require no outside electronics or air. I haven't reached all the goals yet."

His ATC that he is working on sounds very interesting.

David

ger21
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I just got the same email, lol.

JLT
12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
ATC photos.

David Da Costa
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Very nice JLT

JLT
12-12-2006, 10:57 AM
JLT, I think you forgot to attach the photo's

Don't know what happened. Had to edit.

More ATC photos.

David Da Costa
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Very clever using a ground down c-clip.

JLT
12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
These DXF files are drawn for use with Sheetcam but you can get the dimensions.

Upper Plate
Thickness: .833"

Lower Plate
Thickness: .5"
E-Clip pocket depth: .055"
E-Clip pocket diameter: 1.437
Holder slide depth: .147"

joecnc2006
12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Excelent work, this is going to be another hit within the DIY work i would imagine.

This make me want one in a bad way..... LOL

thanks for sharing your info.

joe

JLT
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
How fast have you spun that tool changer. Seems a little large for 20,000+ rpm.

I do most cutting at around 8000 RPM. I have spun it up to check for vibration but for me cutting at hi RPM's just burns up bits.

Mike F
12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
JLT,

Thanks a load for sharing this. As Joe says, this one is going to be a hit and I can just see High Tech Systems falling foul of good publicity and having difficulty supplying demand. Hope not, my order will be in as soon as I can get it there. First I must see if they can make metric versions.

Mike

silver4dracs
12-12-2006, 10:00 PM
How do you set up the tool changer system in mach 3? That is the part I have yet to figure out.

DayneInfo
12-12-2006, 10:57 PM
silver4dracs - I have been looking at the Mach website trying to figure out how to implement tool changer. Here is what I think you have to do...in a nut shell. Config-General config you set the tool changer option to Auto tool changer. This is what Mach manual says:

Tool change: An M6 tool change request can be ignored or used to call the M6 macros (q.v.). If Auto Tool Changer is checked then the M6Start/M6End macros will be called but Cycle Start does not need to be pressed at any stage.
Figure 5.21 - Logic Configuration dialog

So it seems that you have to write a macro in VBA....I think. If you click on Operator then VB Script Editor, open file, navigate to Mach3 folder then to Macros. You will find an empty M6/start and end. I am assuming you would edit them to write you tool change macro. When a tool change is called for it would then run the macro and use it to select tool. There is also an area to store tool information such as diameter and tool number. Not sure if any of this would have to be filled out or not. I am going to continue to look but am no where ready for this to be used yet.

Dwayne

DayneInfo
12-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Heres a little more.

10.8.3 Tool change - M6 Provided tool change requests are not to be ignored (as defined in Configure>Logic), Mach3 will call a macro (q.v) M6Start when the command is encountered. It will then wait for Cycle Start to be pressed, execute the macro M6End and continue running the part program. You can provide Visual Basic code in the macros to operate your own mechanical tool changer and to move the axes to a convenient location to tool changing if you wish. If tool change requests are set to be ignored (in Configure>Logic) then M6 has no effect.

joecnc2006
12-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I believe as he stated in post #9 that he just adds the text manualy toi the g-code for the proper x,y, and z movement, this can be done when using the home switches to make sure the machine is always in the proper place at startup.

joe

Jason Marsha
12-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for sharing the dxf files JLT.

Jason

ger21
12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
I haven't looked at it, but there is a tool change macro video on the www.machsupport.com site, as well as some sample tool change code. You need to write the code in the M6 macro using VB script. The code will need to determine the current tool, and probably contain all the offset information for the tool locations. You also would enter all the tool information into the tool table, and use H43 tool length offsets when changing tools to keep the z axis at the correct depth.

ger21
12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I think that should have said G43, not H43.

Switcher
12-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Direct link to Mach3 "Tool Changer Macro" video download:
http://www.machsupport.com/ToolChange/Tool_Change.swf

Sample macro code from Mach3 "Tool Changer Macro" video:

'ToolChange Macro For Bed type tool changer 11/05 Brian
Sub Main()
OldTool = GetOEMDRO (1200) 'Tool In spindle DRO You must add this to your settings screen
x = GetToolChangeStart ( 0 )
y = GetToolChangeStart ( 1 )
z = GetToolChangeStart ( 2 )
a = GetToolChangeStart ( 3 )
b = GetToolChangeStart ( 4 )
c = GetToolChangeStart ( 5 )
tool = GetSelectedTool()
NewTool = tool
'Tool Changer Macro (Bed Type)
MaxToolNum = 8 'Max number off tools for the changer
ToolDown = -3.125 'Z Pos to Get or drop a tool
ToolUp = 0.0 'Z Height to Rapid from tool to tool
If NewTool = OldTool Then
Exit Sub
End If
While NewTool > MaxToolNum
NewTool = Question ("Enter New Tool Number up to " & MaxToolNum)
Wend
Code "G00 G53 Z" & ToolUp
While IsMoving()
Wend
Call MovePos(OldTool)
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G53 Z" & ToolDown
Code "G4 P.75"
While IsMoving()
Wend
ActivateSignal(Output1) 'Turn on Draw bar to release the tool
Code "G4 P1.0" 'Wait for tool to release
'SystemWaitFor (7) 'Wait for the tool Release Limit switch
Code "G53 Z" & ToolUp
Call MovePos(NewTool)
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G53 Z" & ToolDown
Code "G4 P.75"
While IsMoving()
Wend
DeActivateSignal(Output1) 'Turn Off Draw bar to Clamp the tool
Code "G4 P1.0" 'Wait for the tool to Clamp
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G53 Z" & ToolUp
Call SetUserDRO (1200 NewTool)
SetCurrentTool( NewTool )
Code "G00 X" & x & " Y" & y 'Move back to where the tool change was prompted
End Sub

Sub MovePos(ByVal ToolNumber As Integer)

Select Case ToolNumber
Case Is = 1
Xpos = 12.00
Ypos = 2.00
Case Is = 2
Xpos = 14.00
Ypos = 2.00
Case Is = 3
Xpos = 16.00
Ypos = 2.00
Case Is = 4
Xpos = 18.00
Ypos = 2.00
Case Is = 5
Xpos = 12.00
Ypos = 4.00
Case Is = 6
Xpos = 14.00
Ypos = 4.00
Case Is = 7
Xpos = 16.00
Ypos = 4.00
Case Is = 8
Xpos = 18.00
Ypos = 4.00
End Select

Code "G53 X" & XPos & " Y" & YPos
End Sub
Main

sbalder
12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
That tool changer is f-ing brilliant!!!!!!!! I drove into work this morning trying to think about how I could add an atc to my Bridgeport. I love the simplicity of your design- congratulations and thanks for the cool ideas!!!!!!

-Steven Balder

kiltjim
12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe I missed it, but how exactly does the changer prevent the bits from spinning? I can't see anything in the videos that seem to show that.

joecnc2006
12-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Maybe I missed it, but how exactly does the changer prevent the bits from spinning? I can't see anything in the videos that seem to show that.

He uses the software to turn on and off the router prior to any tool changing, if you look you will see it stop and then start just before cutting.

Switcher
12-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I think kiltjimhas, has the same question as mine.

JLT,

I really like that ATC.

Also did you see the "Drill Chuck Holder" they have? http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/in...es/Page513.htm

Thanks for sharing your cool project.

JLT
12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I think kiltjimhas, has the same question as mine.

The chuck has 6 ball bearings that are forced in on the top taper of the tool holder, pulling the holder up tight against the bottom taper that matches the chuck taper. See photo.

joecnc2006
12-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I think they are asking what keeps it from rotating in the holder other than pressure.

JLT
12-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I think they are asking what keeps it from rotating in the holder other than pressure.

Thats it, spring presure holds it from rotating in the chuck.
There are 3 tapers invalved.

A Set screw in the holder holds the bit from rotating.

Willyb
12-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Guys

This Tool Changer project is very interesting. As with a few other people, I am still wondering how much HP this HTS Tool Changer can handle? Obviously when the red sleeve is released the six steel balls pulls the Tool Holder up into the RTC. Because the Taper on the RTC is the same as the Taper of the Tool Holders, this is what prevents the Tool Holder from slipping in the RTC. I have been looking at the HTS Tool Changer System with the idea of possibly using it on a Tool Changer for my 2 HP CNC Milling Machine. One of my concerns with using the present setup, is if it is strong enough to handle the higher HP and RPM’s? I sent an Email to Derek asking him this question and also what the HP Rating was for the present HTS System and here is part of his reply:

“I am coming out with a 15hp version that will work with collets. These will hold the higher horsepower and torque. Should have something by the 1st of the year if everything works out”

He didn’t actually tell me how much Horse Power the present HTS System can handle, but from his response I gather that it was not designed for a 2 HP Spindle. I believe the present setup works fine with a Sherline Mill or equivalent. My concern is using this system with these higher outputs of a Router? Please be careful using the present HTS Tool System with a router setup. To high a speed or to much load and there are going to be allot of metal parts flying around the room. For my application, I am looking forward to the higher HP System that should be out at the first of the year.

Willy

mike hide
12-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Not so far but I don't take deep cuts.

even if you did take deep cuts seems to me all it would take is a rib on the outsides of the gantry to stiffen it up.

JLT
12-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Something like this? :)

joecnc2006
12-17-2006, 01:02 PM
JLT, That looks like it will work very well

Chris Ghent
12-18-2006, 12:41 AM
JLT,

I have been thinking of nothing else for days, ever since my attention was drawn to your video on the Mach list. Before I launch into a couple of questions; my admiration for your invention is profound, and for me the beauty is in the simplicity. All over the world there are guys saying, I can do that, and scrambling to copy you.

I see you define yourself as a hobbyist, but can I suggest you name the device? The JLT auto changer doesn't quite cut it, but if the T stood for say, Thompson, the Thompson Tool Tray has a ring about it and it might well catch on. Any family name starting with T should work, alliteration has a way of sticking with people. Its not money, but fame in small parts can be rewarding.

The questions I had are, is there anything different to the High Tech Systems device about the rapid changer you made, other than dimensions..? I would like to buy their system as I do not have the skills or time to make it, plus I have bought gear from them and it is lovely kit.

Secondly, you mentioned you used Sheetcam to drive the tool changer, did you just program moves that mimicked drilling and cutting moves in that specific location? If so, how did you get the machine to locate the tools, did you put the work in a specific location, or did you use a combination of Machs machine coordinates and home switches to find them?

Best Wishes

Chris
Sydney
Australia

JLT
12-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Chris,

The only modefication to the High Tech Systems Rapid Changer was the mounting shaft to fit the router 1/2" . They have that option now.

I don't use Mach but I'm sure the same thing that I do could be implemented with it.

TurboCNC stores all tool length offsets so you don't put tool length offsets in Sheetcam.

I do all cutting in Fixture 1 (G54).

Home all axes with no tool (T0) and no Fixture (G53) at the start of the day or week:)

All tool changes are done with no Fixture (G53).

Set your work starting ref. when in G54 and reverence tool (T0) in the chuck and TurboCNC set for T0.

G-Code snippet for TurboCNC tool change.
This is generated with Sheetcam Post processor for TurboCNC.

N0110 ;------------------------------
N0120 ;
N0130 ;Trudgen ATC for Joe's Model 2006 Router.
N0140 #100=6
N0150 G53
N0160 M5
N0170 M9
N0180 T0
N0190 G00 z-1.5
N0200 G00 X2.5 Y[23.5-(((#101-1)*1.500)+1.78)]
N0210 G00 X1
N0220 G00 Z-3.812
N0230 G00 X0
N0240 G01 Z-3.2 F10
N0250 G00 Z-1.5
N0260 G00 Y[23.5-(((#100-1)*1.500)+1.78)]
N0270 G00 Z-3.000
N0280 G01 Z-3.812 F10
N0290 G00 X2.5
N0300 G00 Z-3 X4
N0310 G54
N0320 #101=#100
N0330 T6 ;Drill, 0.125 inch diameter
N0340 ;
N0350 ;--------------------------------

This is the Sheetcam Post code that I added for the changer that generates the code above for a tool change.
#100 and #101 are TurboCNC user variables.

function toolchange()
text (" ;------------------------------\n")
text (" ;\n")
text (" ;Trudgen ATC for Joe's Model 2006 Router.\n")
text (" #100=")
number (tool, "0") --Tool # to pickup
text ("\n")
text (" G53\n") --No Fixture
text (" M5\n") --Spindle off
text (" M9\n") --Vac off
text (" T0\n") --Switch to ref. tool
text (" G00 z-1.5\n") --Safe height
text (" G00 X2.5 Y[23.5-(((#101-1)*1.500)+1.810)]\n") --go to tool # to put back
text (" G00 X1\n")
text (" G00 Z-3.812\n") --unload pos.
text (" G00 X0\n") --park pos.
text (" G01 Z-3.2 F20\n") --Pull off holder slow to alow for sticking
text (" G00 Z-1.5\n") --rapid up to clear double ended bits
text (" G00 Y[23.5-(((#100-1)*1.500)+1.810)]\n") --go to tool # to pickup
text (" G00 Z-3.000\n")
text (" G00 Z-3.812 F10\n") --ready to lock pos.
text (" G00 X2.5\n") --lock pos.
text (" G00 Z-3 X4\n") --Pick it up and move clear off tool rack
text (" G54\n") --Back to Fixture 1 this is the working fixture
text (" #101=#100\n") --remember tool in chuck
text (" T")
number (tool, "0")
text (" ;", toolname, "\n") --tell turbocnc what tool it has for offsets
text (" ;\n")
text (" ;--------------------------------\n")
end

The cordiances for the tool positions could be anywhere. Those numbers just reflect where I have the changer located now.

Jerry

mike hide
12-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Something like this? :)

Exactly ,the deeper the better [stiffer] . I was thinking all the way top to bottom of he gantry walls ...

Art Ransom
12-18-2006, 11:39 AM
You should look at making money from your idea. Maybe a Dummies Guide to ATC or production of the product. Personally I would have no problem paying $100 for complete how to manual. As a newbie to CNC I would be the perfect proof reader.
I am in final stages of my mill to do wood columns up to 24" by 12' and already have people asking me to build them a machine. see http://turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm . I realy don't want to get in the machine business and am looking for someone to work with as a consultant. What can I do to encourage you in your endevor? Be glad to add section on my web site , www.turningaround.org , if you want. Also a great way for me to learn more about your briliant idea.

Chris Ghent
12-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I do all cutting in Fixture 1 (G54).

etc...

Jerry

Jerry,

thanks for the detail. This may be the project that finally forces me to learn how gcode works, so far I have been sheltering behind Sheetcam.

Chris

Bloy2004
12-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Hi,
I've been enjoying all this, but the videos aren't there anymore.
Is there a new place(location where these can be viewed?
I saw one that depicted the machine routing a sign and returning to change tools but can't find it anymore.

Help anyone?

Had to break up video in sections.

http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/Mov00427.mpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/mov00429.mpg

David Da Costa
12-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Bloy2004, I have made a few video of my build, you can see them at http://web.mac.com/dacostad.

I will be making another one next week of the finished machine.

David

Bloy2004
12-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi David,
Nice site! I've been watching you too as you progress.
Will you be building the auto tool changer rack using the Hightech "rapid changer"? I'm wondering where those videos went...?

I just ordered the changer system and am planning to set up a rack for tool holding/changing.

Thanks,
John (bloy)

P.S. here is my build from quite a while ago:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5049

David Da Costa
12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I would like to have an ATC, but I am a little concerned about the safety of the HighTech current offering running at speeds well above it's design parameters (it's great on my Sherline).

HighTech are working on an ATC solution for for higher speeds so I shall probably wait and see what they come out with.

Bloy2004
12-31-2006, 11:41 AM
yes, that is my concern too (the higher speeds), but Derek, at High tech has the heavy spring which will work for my router since it is variable speed and can function well in the 8Krpm to 11krpm range.
One thing I have found is that changing tools manually is SOoooo inconvenient! :

Thanks,
John (bloy)

Switcher
12-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi,
I've been enjoying all this, but the videos aren't there anymore.
Is ther a new place(location where these can be viewed?
I saw one that depicted the machine routing a sign and returning to change tools but can't find it anymore.

Help anyone?

I have all the videos that JLT posted on the toolchanger. I tried to post them all as 3 zip files (less than 8.58mb each) I got tired of waiting for the upload.

PM me, I'll email them to you.

JLT
12-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I needed the room for other things.

3 Videos back up for ATC. Testing Joe's ATC :)

Spindle speed at 12000 rpm.
Last video is with 1/4" spiral up cut end mill 1/4" deep at 45ipm one pass in cherry.

Had to make 3 modifications to the the Rapid changer with 1/2" shaft from HTS for use with the router.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2674911940888627972
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6628045240137833037
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6680491859906584476

Switcher
12-31-2006, 09:47 PM

Last video is with 1/4" spiral up cut end mill 1/4" deep at 45ipm one pass.

http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/Mov00482.mpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/Mov00483.mpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jlt313/Router/Mov00484.mpg

Dead links?

joecnc2006
12-31-2006, 09:59 PM
nice videos, and i also like the white splash quard you installed.

joe

JLT
12-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Here are some samples done with Joe's build.

Corian inlay, cupboard doors, jewelry box.

Jason Marsha
12-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Excellent results, the inlay sign is especially impressive.

Jason

bp092
12-31-2006, 11:32 PM
nice videos JLT, I like the "garage door" of sorts you've added to the tooling storage, what kind of mechanism did you have to create to get that to work?

ccsparky
01-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Beautiful work!

You've done and excellent job with your build! Thanks for sharing your information and videos!

jfc11
01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
very nice....i ordered one myself
Great Concept

94vette
01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Nice, no, GREAT JOB !!

JLT
01-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Here are some photos of a floating dust collector to accommodate the Automatic Tool Changer for Joe's build.

Short video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9006867284759513365

bp092
01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
cool idea, I love the mods you've made.. so you never told us, can you explain how that garage door mechanism works to keep the tooling covered? is it as simple as it appears or did you add something more mechanical in?

joecnc2006
01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Interesting concept I love the mods you have done.

Joe

JLT
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
cool idea, I love the mods you've made.. so you never told us, can you explain how that garage door mechanism works to keep the tooling covered? is it as simple as it appears or did you add something more mechanical in?

That was a temporary thing till i got the dust collector built and yes it is as simple as it appears, just cardboard hooked to the cross brace.

bp092
01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
That was a temporary thing till i got the dust collector built and yes it is as simple as it appears, just cardboard hooked to the cross brace.

nice.. it would be nice as a temporary thing as well, but it depends on how good of a dust collector one has I suppose.. I figure I shouldn't have any dust really, atleast not any airborne dust from my machine if I run a dedicated pipe to my cnc area

David Da Costa
01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
JLT, very nice!

Where did you get those long bristles from?

DayneInfo
01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
JLT you are quickly becoming my new CNC hero

JLT
01-18-2007, 06:36 AM
JLT, very nice!

Where did you get those long bristles from?

Shhhhhhh! I got the brush from my wife’s car (combination ice scraper/snow brush).
Already mounted in steel rails ¼” x ¼”.

Switcher
01-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Shhhhhhh! I got the brush from my wife’s car (combination ice scraper/snow brush).
Already mounted in steel rails ¼” x ¼”.

Thats funny! :)

Hope you have better weather than I do (ice). :(

hugo carradini
01-20-2007, 03:21 PM
You are really a creative mind. I wounder what new thins you are going to surprise us. Just don't stop please.
You got my attention and my vote.
Regards
Hugo Carradini

mhiggins
01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
JLT, nice job on the machines and tool changer. Keep up the good work.

Salty72
01-22-2007, 12:39 AM
before I go asking questions let me tell you this is an absolutely FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC idea, I know it's been said before but again WELL DONE, you are a pure genius..

could you tell me from the bottom of the collet nut on the router to the bottom of the quick tool changer what is this length, also could you instead of using a grub screw to hold the tool, could the bottom ring (the ring that sit below the GROUND-CIRCLIP) Be somehow converted to screw down onto a collet to fix a tool in place, thus ensuring greater accuracy(less runout) and higher torque(souldn't rotate)

ALso how did you get the dust skirt to raise and lower ??/

joecnc2006
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
before I go asking questions let me tell you this is an absolutely FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC idea, I know it's been said before but again WELL DONE, you are a pure genius..

could you tell me from the bottom of the collet nut on the router to the bottom of the quick tool changer what is this length, also could you instead of using a grub screw to hold the tool, could the bottom ring (the ring that sit below the GROUND-CIRCLIP) Be somehow converted to screw down onto a collet to fix a tool in place, thus ensuring greater accuracy(less runout) and higher torque(souldn't rotate)

ALso how did you get the dust skirt to raise and lower ??/

I can tell you that the 1/4" bits fit very, very snug into the Holders, and I can not tell of any runout effect on my cuts.

atenman1
02-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Hi JLT,
All the links to the videos are dead, could you upload those videos again?
May be to google video.
Thanks
Calvin

joecnc2006
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi JLT,
All the links to the videos are dead, could you upload those videos again?
May be to google video.
Thanks
Calvin

go to the tool changer site the video's are linked on there.

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index.htm

Joe

digits
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Last video is with 1/4" spiral up cut end mill 1/4" deep at 45ipm one pass in cherry.

Had to make 3 modifications to the the Rapid changer with 1/2" shaft from HTS for use with the router.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2674911940888627972
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6628045240137833037
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6680491859906584476

That is really,really nice work! :)

Do mind telling us what modifications you made to the tool-changer for use with your router, apart from the 1/2" shaft?

Also, you said earlier that you had to make some of your own tool-holders. I am interested in this tool-changer, but all my tools are metric - did you cut your own tool holders from bar-stock, or did you just bore out genuine toolholders to your required diameters?

Cheers.

JLT
02-07-2007, 06:08 PM
That is really,really nice work! :)

Do mind telling us what modifications you made to the tool-changer for use with your router, apart from the 1/2" shaft?

Also, you said earlier that you had to make some of your own tool-holders. I am interested in this tool-changer, but all my tools are metric - did you cut your own tool holders from bar-stock, or did you just bore out genuine toolholders to your required diameters?

Cheers.

I had to cut a slot for the snap ring to get more travel on the spring. Also used a stronger spring.

I cut all but 5 of my tool holders from 1" round stock.

digits
02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
I had to cut a slot for the snap ring to get more travel on the spring. Also used a stronger spring.

Thanks for the info - was cutting the tool holders tricky - they look quite complex? Do you have a CNC lathe, or just a lot of skill and patience?

jfc11
02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I made one of the tool changers out of uhmw.....I used the heavier spring as well but it came up around the snap ring and spun apart...I bought another spring and changed the snap ring to an eclip.....I took .015 off the dia of the retension knob it shortened the travel enough for the holder to come out....I also wrote a tool change macro for it and modified my post processer to add the g43 for the tool lenght offsets
Jim

JLT
02-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info - was cutting the tool holders tricky - they look quite complex? Do you have a CNC lathe, or just a lot of skill and patience?

Yes I have a CNC lathe.

Drakkn
02-09-2007, 01:42 PM

That jewelry box is fantastic - May I be a little cheeky and ask for a look at the code - I have not yet built a cnc machine - but starting soon also have just signed up for Autocad course at my local college in UK

tgkingbsc
02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I modified the M6 macro to work with this type of toolchanger.Have not yet tested it though, will have to tweak the numbers to match.

'ToolChange Macro For Bed type tool changer 11/05 Brian (modified 2/07 Garry)
Sub Main()
OldTool = GetOEMDRO (1203) 'Tool In spindle DRO You must add this to your settings screen
x = GetToolChangeStart ( 0 )
y = GetToolChangeStart ( 1 )
z = GetToolChangeStart ( 2 )
a = GetToolChangeStart ( 3 )
b = GetToolChangeStart ( 4 )
c = GetToolChangeStart ( 5 )
tool = GetSelectedTool()
NewTool = tool
'Tool Changer Macro (Bed Type)
MaxToolNum = 13 'Max number off tools for the changer
ToolDown = -3.125 'Z Pos to Get or drop a tool
ToolUp = 2.0 'Z Height to Rapid from tool to tool
If NewTool = OldTool Then
Exit Sub
End If
While NewTool > MaxToolNum
NewTool = Question ("Enter New Tool Number up to " & MaxToolNum)
Wend
Code "G00 G53 Z" & ToolUp
While IsMoving()
Wend
Call MoveOldtoolPos(OldTool)
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G91 Y50"
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G90 G53 Z" & ToolDown
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G91 Y50"
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G90 G53 Z" & ToolUp
While IsMoving()
Wend
Call MoveNewtoolPos(NewTool)
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G53 Z" & ToolDown
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G91 Y-100"
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G90 G53 Z" & ToolUp
While IsMoving()
Wend
Call SetUserDRO (1203,NewTool)
SetCurrentTool( NewTool )
Code "G00 X" & x & " Y" & y 'Move back to where the tool change was prompted
End Sub

Sub MoveOldtoolPos(ByVal ToolNumber As Integer)

Select Case ToolNumber
Case Is = 1
Xpos = 20
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 2
Xpos = 60
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 3
Xpos = 100
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 4
Xpos = 140
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 5
Xpos = 180
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 6
Xpos = 220
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 7
Xpos = 260
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 8
Xpos = 300
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 9
Xpos = 340
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 10
Xpos = 380
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 11
Xpos = 420
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 12
Xpos = 460
Ypos = 400
Case Is = 13
Xpos = 500
Ypos = 400

End Select

End Sub
Sub MoveNewtoolPos(ByVal ToolNumber As Integer)

Select Case ToolNumber
Case Is = 1
Xpos = 20
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 2
Xpos = 60
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 3
Xpos = 100
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 4
Xpos = 140
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 5
Xpos = 180
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 6
Xpos = 220
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 7
Xpos = 260
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 8
Xpos = 300
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 9
Xpos = 340
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 10
Xpos = 380
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 11
Xpos = 420
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 12
Xpos = 460
Ypos = 500
Case Is = 13
Xpos = 500
Ypos = 500

End Select

End Sub
Main

eloid
02-21-2007, 10:51 PM
this is way cool...

tgkingbsc
02-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Modified M6 macro including screenset for mach3.32259

GAWnCA
02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Without having to read through all this thread, since it is very popular, can someone tell me where the tool changer came from and if it's available for purchase for generic use? Thanks

GAWnCA
02-22-2007, 09:46 PM

JTL (Jerry)

Do you have any photos of your mods?

ccsparky
02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Without having to read through all this thread, since it is very popular, can someone tell me where the tool changer came from and if it's available for purchase for generic use? Thanks

Here you go

GAWnCA
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Here you go

Thanks. It appears that the items on that page are no longer available. So I looked around and came up with this: http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page2045.htm I see that it's only good 10,000 RPM. The spindle I'll be using runs 25,000 RPM. It also has a 1/4" collet. I guess it could be adapted.

joecnc2006
02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks. It appears that the items on that page are no longer available. So I looked around and came up with this: http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index_files/Page2045.htm I see that it's only good 10,000 RPM. The spindle I'll be using runs 25,000 RPM. It also has a 1/4" collet. I guess it could be adapted.

you will need a variable speed to slow it down, the spring which engages the tool holder is not stiff enough for that RPM, and if you put a stringer spring it in to will take to much to lift the cover to make the ATC work.

Joe

GAWnCA
02-22-2007, 11:49 PM
you will need a variable speed to slow it down, the spring which engages the tool holder is not stiff enough for that RPM, and if you put a stringer spring it in to will take to much to lift the cover to make the ATC work.

Joe

I was thinking about setting it up so that the cnc machine made the change, not me by hand. I guess I could get a router speed controller and slow down that way.

Glidergider
02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
The mention of a router speed controller has me wondering. How does the DIY'r control router rpms? I imagine that most of the DIY'r controls it manually, but I don't know that or sure. That's how I intend to operate soon. This discussion about tool changers definately begs the need for a speed control hooked the Mach3. How many of you guys control speeds with the CNC program?

If I missed this discussion in a previous post, my apologies.
Dave

bgriggs
03-02-2007, 05:35 PM
A little late but I built a Router Table from Joe's eDrawings back in march. It turned out so well that my son wanted one also so I built another one of them. We are having so much fun with them that I mised the summer season all together, or was there no summer this year?:) Been working on utililty drawers for it and a rack of 14 tools with automatic tool changer. This is working out real good.

I wan't to thank Joe for his time and generosity of his design.

Here are some photos of the build. I will post more photos (the drawers and changer etc) later.

I'm trying to find out what size and variety of endmills you used to cut the MDF parts for your project. Can you help?

Bill

GAWnCA
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Modified M6 macro including screenset for mach3.32259

So is this macro for MACH 3? I'm in the process of setting this up. It appears that you are using metric measurements. Can this be set up for USA measurements?

ger21
03-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes, it's for Mach3. The numbers in the macro correspond to the location of the tools in the tool holder. You'd need these numbers to correspond to your setup. If your using inches, put the numbers in the macro in inches.

GAWnCA
03-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, it's for Mach3. The numbers in the macro correspond to the location of the tools in the tool holder. You'd need these numbers to correspond to your setup. If your using inches, put the numbers in the macro in inches.

Great thanks. I'm not much when it comes to programming but I'll give it a shot. I am very new to all this CNC stuff, so I hope you'll bare with me as I build and install everything. The tool changer is a great idea. Now if I can just find the plans to build the holder.

Greg

Switcher
03-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Great thanks. I'm not much when it comes to programming but I'll give it a shot. I am very new to all this CNC stuff, so I hope you'll bare with me as I build and install everything. The tool changer is a great idea. Now if I can just find the plans to build the holder.

Greg

I just emailed the plans to you.

Jerry

GAWnCA
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I just emailed the plans to you.

Jerry

Got them, Thanks!

bp092
03-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Can you send me the plans as well? thanks, I have the dwg for the corian awhile back from JRT but nothing else

zoltan
03-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I tried to buy a tool changer from Derek, actually M20000, but unfortunately the payment could be done only by PayPal or money orders. Here in Romania I have no access to PayPal, it is not in their portofolio, and money order can be done only by Western Union about which here are only bad words, and is VERY expensive. Asked Derek severla times about wire transfer which I can do but he did not reply ever. So, is here somebody who tried to build himself such a tool holder? If yes, can help me to build one for myself. I do not have a lathe or mill but I have a friend who is working in a workshop. Could someone help? maybe only with a sketch and few dimension. JTL, I have sent you a PM, did you get it? Could you please, send me the plans of docking area for tool changer? My address is vlaroliz@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Zoltan

bp092
03-04-2007, 04:50 PM
They might do a wire transfer. The problem with western union is that there is so much illegal stuff going on, so many American companies are afraid to mess with anything else than PayPal. Even with PayPal however there are problems.

JLT
03-04-2007, 07:10 PM
So is this macro for MACH 3? I'm in the process of setting this up. It appears that you are using metric measurements. Can this be set up for USA measurements?

Here is the Macro I use. The tool numbers start at 1 on the Y24" side of the table.

bp092
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Here is the Macro I use. The tool numbers start at 1 on the Y24" side of the table.

do you have the plans for the toolchanger? If so could you send them to me? I've got the autocad file for the corian cutout for the top but nothing else.. thanks!:rainfro: also how does the tc work out at higher speeds? I thought it was only rated to 10k RPMS?

JLT
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
do you have the plans for the toolchanger? If so could you send them to me? I've got the autocad file for the corian cutout for the top but nothing else.. thanks!:rainfro: also how does the tc work out at higher speeds? I thought it was only rated to 10k RPMS?

The plans for the tool rack (top and bottom) are on the thread somewhere Ill have to look.

Yes, 10k but I have no problem with the heavy spring going to 12000. Haven't really tested the limit yet.

I don't have the plans for the Rapid Tool Changer.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=228938&postcount=41

bgriggs
03-06-2007, 05:07 AM
I'm trying to find out what size and variety of endmills you used to cut the MDF parts for your project. Can you help?

Bill

Help could someone please answer this question so I can start building. What size bit are you using to cut out the MDF parts.

Bill

JLT
03-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Help could someone please answer this question so I can start building. What size bit are you using to cut out the MDF parts.

Bill

I use 1/4" 2 flute upcut.

GAWnCA
03-06-2007, 10:28 AM
These DXF files are drawn for use with Sheetcam but you can get the dimensions.

Upper Plate
Thickness: .833"

Lower Plate
Thickness: .5"
E-Clip pocket depth: .055"
E-Clip pocket diameter: 1.437
Holder slide depth: .147"

JTL<

What did you use for the small metal clips that are shown in the photos? Also, in one of the videos I saw of your ATC it appears that there is some sort of door or covering that closes over the tools in the holder when the router moves away. Is that your design and if so do you have the plans for that as well?

Thanks,
Greg

p.s. I'm getting there, just takes time.

GAWnCA
03-06-2007, 10:31 AM

What supplier do you use?

JLT
03-06-2007, 01:14 PM
JTL<

What did you use for the small metal clips that are shown in the photos? Also, in one of the videos I saw of your ATC it appears that there is some sort of door or covering that closes over the tools in the holder when the router moves away. Is that your design and if so do you have the plans for that as well?

Thanks,
Greg

p.s. I'm getting there, just takes time.

The E-clip is 1.442" OD and .75" ID. Thickness is .055". Must be ground to fit tool holder groove.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4300

The door is just cardboard swinging on the 1/4" all thread. This was just a temporary thing till I got my floating dust brush.

Jerry

GAWnCA
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
The E-clip is 1.442" OD and .75" ID. Thickness is .055". Must be ground to fit tool holder groove.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4300

The door is just cardboard swinging on the 1/4" all thread. This was just a temporary thing till I got my floating dust brush.

Jerry

Another Harbor Freight Junkie!!! I go there all the time. I don't see that size though in that assortment. Oh well, I'll find them. Where abouts do you live? I'm out here in California, for the time being and then will be moving back to Missouri.

I really like your dust door, it would make sure that chips don't get down into the tool holders. By the way, did you make your own tool holders?

Thanks for your reply, and the inspiration.

Greg

calgrdnr
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Howdy JLT,

Love the ATC. Going to have to make one when I get mine running and figure out how to use it . but in the mean time I alrady have Duct collector so I am wondering if you have plans availible for your Floating brush assembly? . I know you aquired the brush from a unknowing doner ;) . Hope you didn't get in to much trouble :D . I will keep eye my open for something maybe i can use. thanks. for al the great ideas Kent

bgriggs
03-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Bless You!!! WooooHoooo!!!! Now I can cut!!! Let the dust begin to Flow!!!!

Bill

GAWnCA
03-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Jerry,

How did you make the tool holders? or did you have to buy them?

Greg

Switcher
03-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Jerry,

How did you make the tool holders? or did you have to buy them?

Greg

Salty72
03-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Howdy JLT,

Love the ATC. Going to have to make one when I get mine running and figure out how to use it . but in the mean time I alrady have Dust collector so I am wondering if you have plans availible for your Floating brush assembly? . I know you aquired the brush from a unknowing doner ;) . ........Kent

I too would be interested in plans for a Floating Brush Assy

GAWnCA
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks Switcher. I got it and I bought it. They are one cool and simple piece of engineering. I found the "E" clips today at a place I least expected, a company here in town called Blue Collar Supply. They have a big bin of them at 10 cents each and I bought 5. Wasn't really sure they would work but they are going to be fine. They are a little bit bigger than what JTL had used. My buddy here just sold his CNC machine so I'll have to find another way to mill out the tool holder. I wish I had the "G" code so I could just load up and run it in MACH3.

By the way, where is JTL?

Buzz9075
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
While my dust collector is still being prototyped and needs to still be tested once the machine is up and running. I took the idea for JLT's machine and drew it (I could not find his plans). If you are interested I can supply the drawing file for the parts (realizing that I have not tested it yet). At present it will raise and lower with very little effort but it does require modified sides from what Joe's design calls for. You can see it at www.cncmachine.phillipsfamily.ca (http://www.cncmachine.phillipsfamily.ca)

Smackre
07-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Has anyone checked the run out after putting this on there spindle? Seems like alot of distance from the collet on the router. And store bought routers are know to have run out to start with. and the longer your put the tool out there the more runout you get. I am just wondering what kind of run out you are looking at after doing this mod. All the store bought routers I used had almost 0.005" run out from the factory and if you extended that out to say 2" from the collet nut it was more like 0.02"

joecnc2006
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, i have this issue, just barely with the old style, but the new style has more and makes my new machine shake somewhat, you can read about it in my new 4x4 machine. Dereck is working on the issue now.

Joe

Smackre
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Its more of a issue with the spindle I would think. If you could regrind the spindle taper true then it would be possable to make something like this work. Bu then you half to have accurate made collets. But store bought routers are just not made to have bits in them that extend out 2-3" from the collet nut.

Buzz9075
08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Working on building a tool changer a couple of questions I have:

1 - In the M6Start.m1s code I see the code to turn cutter length compensation on with:
Code "G43 H" & NewTool ' Set cutter compensation on for new tool
but I don't see anything turning it off when you come into the tool change process. I would think you would want if off as you always want the change to occur at the same location and compensation would alter this for each tool (assuming you enter something different than 0 for tool length compensation).
Am I missing something as to why others have not used G49 to Turn it off? Or should this be added to the code?

2 - the brushes for the floating dust collector, what diameter bristles are people finding work well? Trying to figure out what is stiff enough to keep it up and yet soft enough to move nicely around things. I am assuming the brush material is nylon as well.

Thanks for your help.

Bloy2004
08-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi,
I went to the http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index.htm and saw that there are only two sizes of the old style collets available (3/16 and 1/2).
What is happening? I wanted to order more 1/4 collets for the ATC that I am slowly working on. Are these being phased out? Can they be special ordered? A year ago I got the quick change unit with an assortment (5, one of each) of the old style collets. Since I use mostly 1/4 shank tools, this presents a problem.

Any answers to this?

Thanks,
John

joecnc2006
08-13-2007, 08:28 AM
The Quickchange unit is the same you can use the new holders in your unit, with the dempels at the top it is a better design.

You can always e-mail Derek and he will help you he is a very good guy to deal with, he will tell you straightup with all his products.

Joe

Bloy2004
08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks Joe,
I'll see what Derek can do for me. I can't really afford to get the newer ER collet system..and the added extension is too much for my use. Hope he can still supply the older styles.

Thanks again,
John

slink
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
CAN I GET MORE INFO AND DRAWINGS ON THE MAKING OF YOUR SPINDLE AND TOOL CHANGER
JSLINGERLAND@ROCHESTER.RR.COM

bp092
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Spindle is a var. speed router, Hitachi. And the tool changer is made by hightechsystems llc

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/

Sbthomas13
10-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Great Work!

A friend and I are planning on building the Joe! We have a professional grade CNC available, so all parts will be able to be cut out....but considering all the parts are cut on the CNC, what would you say the difficulty is of this build?

Thanks,
Spencer

bp092
10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Putting it together? :D

Sbthomas13
10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Well, say all the parts have been made perfectly..... How difficult is it to assmble it, attach the motors, insure that it is square/level, etc.?

And did you run in to any problems?

bp092
10-16-2007, 09:32 PM
It's not hard. Put it this way, I knew nothing of CNC routers when I embarked on joe's 06 model. You learn as you go; other than that it's pretty easy. There is a wealth, a complete wealth of info here at the zone in joe's dedicated forum on how to build this machine. A few dozen people here have build logs, filled with photos and info. If you sit down, plan, order the right parts and follow the steps correctly you will have a solid DIY machine. It only requires basic woodworking and metalworking skills. I think the hardest thing on the machine if anything is milling the bearing angle slides and gluing the torsion boxes together.

amen23
11-08-2007, 07:59 PM
how much did the rapid changer cost ??? I went to the wbe site and under price it just says --''out of stock''

GAWnCA
11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
how much did the rapid changer cost ??? I went to the wbe site and under price it just says --''out of stock''

He ran out of stock and money to produce more of the ATCs. I paid $185.90 for the tool changer and 5 holders.

amen23
11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
he is going to be restocking ?????? selling more ??

GAWnCA
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
You'll have to go to his web site and ask him. I have no idea.

Rene Nuñez Paz
01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Iam trying to contact High Tech Systems, but the site is moved, May somebody help me about to buy the ATC?
Thanks, Rene
--------------
Excuseme, my bad english, I hope that you understand

bp092
01-12-2008, 01:45 PM
http://hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_rapid_changer.html

He's restocking right now. Mines collecting dust because its only rated at 10,000RPM

GAWnCA
01-12-2008, 01:52 PM
http://hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_rapid_changer.html

He's restocking right now. Mines collecting dust because its only rated at 10,000RPM

Mine is collecting dust because I don't have a CNC machine to attach it to. I have read where people have run them up to 20K RPM. He is using a higher strength spring now.

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/ will get you to the main page.

Buzz9075
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Mine is collecting dust because of all the issues I had with it :0 as well as 10K was to slow for some work, and the noise levels are much lower without in on. Thinking about selling it and the adaptors.

GAWnCA
01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Mine is collecting dust because of all the issues I had with it :0 as well as 10K was to slow for some work, and the noise levels are much lower without in on. Thinking about selling it and the adaptors.

What kind of router are you running? What all do you have and how much?

Buzz9075
01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Not sure what I want.... I have many adaptors, the drill bit adaptor with head. I will gather all the information in tonight and post. Here is a list of the issues I have had (with the stronger spring).
Dust collects between the head and the adaptors, making if very hard to remove the adaptor till you get the dust out.
Even at 10K to 12K (as many have proved you can run), the adaptors will spin in the head unit when a high strees zone is hit (really obvious in oak with the grain gets tight). This cause a side effect of removing the finish of the cutters.
For some reason I can not longer get the V cutters to spin true when using it true
Noise level from the router is much higher with the attachment in versus out. My house is much quiter running the router without it in.

Ghostpilot
01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Greetings.
I have been following the thread about the tool changer in silence.
I am planning to build a CNC mill and would love to have a tool changer.
Can I also get a copy of the plans, please?
fruktodlaren(a)gmail.com
Best regards
/Tony from Sweden

Buzz9075
01-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I have uploaded the information on the tool changer I am going to sell on my web page... once the information is gone the unit is sold... www.cncmachine.phillipsfamily.ca

turra
11-28-2017, 02:58 AM
good job
Where can I buy this rapid changer tool?

turra
11-28-2017, 06:16 AM
where can i buy this rapid changer tool?

udonnoo
01-29-2019, 04:23 PM
hi is there an update about the tool changer

Chris Ghent
01-30-2019, 08:27 PM
HiTech systems no longer make the adaptor the changer used so you would need to find another system.