PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Advice needed - PRO4848 for Small skateboard manufacturer

dasilvaboards
10-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Hello, I'm new to these forums and absolutely amazed at the wealth of knowledge floating around here!
I have been lurking and gathering information over the last weeks, and figured the best way to get an unbiased answer to my questions would be to just ask...

I own a small skateboard company in Israel, that specializes in composite decks - wooden cores wrapped in carbon fiber and fiberglass, with urethane inserts. Very similar to the way wakeboards or kiteboards are constructed. I have been in business for a couple years and growing nicely, and have come to the point where I would like to upgrade to my own cnc machine.
After doing some research online and talking to people, it seems that a kit is the best way to go with my budget (around 10,000$, including shipping to Israel) specifically the PRO4848 from CNC Router Parts, with a 2.2kw Chinese spindle, and of course dust collection.
I am an industrial designer and have some engineering background, pretty good understanding of mechanics and several years of CAD (Solidworks mainly, some Rhino) experience, but have not operated a cnc before. Hope this won't be too big a project to put together.

My questions are:

1. Will this machine be able to handle cutting 12-15 skateboards a day (size for each around 40"x10")? I need good repeatability.
2. The decks I will be cutting are curved in all sorts of ways, not flat. Will this pose a problem with a machine like this one, given all the files are good?
3. Speed isn't the most important, I can afford the machine taking a bit longer - should I invest in the larger NEMA 34 or will the 23 be sufficient?
4. If you have suggestions for a different kit or machine I should be looking at my budget, that would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at ZenBot, but am worried the plastic construction won't be sturdy enough to handle the load. Also looked at the Probotix Nebula, but seems like shipping will be a problem.

I'll be looking forward to hearing some thoughts,

Cheers!

Ben

ger21
10-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Not sure what the shipping will cost, but with a $10K budget, I'd look at Camaster or Xzero.

dasilvaboards
10-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the quick reply and the recommendations!

The Camaster seems out of my budget and will require heavy freight shipping, which I'm trying to keep away from, but I will definitely look into the XZero . Does it have any significant advantages over the PRO4848?

Thank you again for your time

ger21
10-12-2015, 11:59 AM
The XZero uses real linear rails and ballscrew, compared to V Rollers and rack and pinion.

dgage
10-12-2015, 12:02 PM
I considered the Camaster Cobra 5x10 but it is just too expensive for my young business building large home theater subwoofers. I decided to order a slightly modified Pro60120, modified to have more legs for the steel frame and more cross members, with the goal being an even more sturdy kit. I just received the CNC on Friday so I can't give you any feedback other than everything was organized and packed well.

Feedback I've received from other businesses is that they are happy with the CNCRP machine and many have bought second/multiple CNCRP machines. But I did receive feedback that the CNCRP might need adjustments over time as well as needing to tighten the steel frame every 6-12 months, while the Camaster is pretty bulletproof and ready to go from the beginning. For me I hope to upgrade to a Camaster in a few years but I expect the CNCRP will allow me to grow my business to that point...at least that's the plan/hope.

EDIT: I also chose the CNCRP kit because of their support, which is universally held as being very good. I also visited them(Cory/Ahren primarily) and their facility and it gave me confidence to move forward with my order.

dasilvaboards
10-12-2015, 05:26 PM
dgage, thank you for your comment as well. This is exactly what I read everywhere I looked at CNCRP, their support is definitely a selling point.

I think we're both the same point in our young businesses - if a 10k$ cnc can help me grow to the point where I NEED to upgrade to a more 'industrial' one, I'll be a happy camper cause it means the machine was doing its job.

I'd love to keep posted on your build progress, best of luck!