PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Pedestal Base Problem

bohica
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I am in the process of installing the cnc on an IH mill. For the most part, the installation has been quite straight forward. However, I just found a problem as I was preparing the Z axis pedestal for installation.

The base of the pedestal appears to have been machined with a hatchet. It is out of square to the ways in the X axis by 3/32" and the Y axis is out of square to the ways by 1/8", but in opposite directions on each side. Even for a Chinese mill, this must be a new low.

I am assuming that I will have to take this to my favorite machine shop and have this fixed, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and their solution. I'll also be talking to Arron this morning.

Loadedagain
12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
mine was square, but there was a substantial amount of bondo in there

bohica
12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm getting the base milled today. The machinist told me he could get it square to the ways within +-.001.

Aaron is going to cover the cost of the milling job. Most people going out of business usually stiff customers with problems. I think Aarons action of covering the repairs shows just what a class act he had in his business.

Runner4404spd
12-14-2006, 04:26 PM
glad to see its getting taken care of to your satisfaction. Aaron definitely is a class act and he and his company will surely leave a large void in this area.

Cruiser
12-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Sounds to me like it was moving around while it was being machined, Since in the alignment, truing, tramming process we shim or use set screws to bring it true, there is usually only one corner touching the mating surface anyway and shims in the gaps, that it wouldn't matter that much, true mine was pretty close and i don't like stacking that much shim, but its all the same principal ! while it is in the machine, have it drilled and tapped for four 5/8" sets close to a bolt yet clear for adjustment so final trueing is easy, you'll still end up with some shim packed into gap, but compressed when it all gets torqued down.