PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out west have a Pro I could see?

aylr
09-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Hey all. I'm new here. Growing a small business looking to upgrade from the hobby-class machine to something more rigid. We're debating between a Pro48x96 or a Shopbot (two vastly different approaches). I talked to Cory (who was awesome btw) and he suggested I post here to see if anyone would be willing to let me see their machine, so that I can get a hands-on feel of the rigidity.

I'm in Utah, willing to travel to see your rig.

We mostly cut 1/4-1/2" masonite and currently have to crawl along at 40-60ipm on our weak (but great learning) machine.

Cheers!

jueston
10-02-2015, 01:19 PM
no help with seeing one in person here, i'm in MN and my machine is in pieces right now anyways. but you will not be disappointed, i was in a similar situation working on a hobby grade machine that was not good enough for the accuracy i wanted. and my PRO4848 is exactly what i needed. i put a water cooled 3HP spindle on it, and i would think with a good bit i could go through 1/4 masonite at over 120IPM

before i purchased mine i made an effort to see one in action but i couldn't find one close, and i wasn't willing to take a day or two road trip to see one, so i took a leap of faith based on what i found here on the forum and a few other places, and i'm very happy with it.

good luck!

dgage
10-02-2015, 04:47 PM
I have an old Shopbot and a CNCRP Pro 5'x10' that I will be receiving next week. The only thing I don't like about the Shopbot is the cutting area is inside the rails. Shopbot says it is due to safety but I find it incredibly annoying and will never consider a Shopbot again. My next machine after the CNCRP (years in the future) will likely be a Camaster. After that if my business continues to grow then I might get into the $100,000 industrial class machines. Of all of the CNC machines I've researched, I've not seen any industrial machines with the rail configuration of the Shopbot although there might be one out there somewhere. Just my opinion.

thefixerdude
10-14-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm in Parowan, UT. I have a pro4896 with nema34 motors and plug-n-play electronics, leg kit, cable track kit, proximity sensors, bosch 1617evs, and a clearvue cyclone. It has been finished for about two months and I am still getting the hang of things. This is my first machine and I went all out.

I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Chuck

pdwatermelon
10-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Up, in Idaho and just looking to purchase as well. Not real knowledgable on the subject, but fairly handy. Why did you get the nema34 vs the 23, and why the pro vs the standard? Just trying to save a few bux. Also How do you like it all???!!??

thefixerdude
10-26-2015, 01:14 AM
I went with Nema34 and the Pro4896 because I didn't want to regret it later and for the additional speed. I want to ultimately put a spindle on it and wanted all of the power I could get to drive it. I also was spending so much time researching my decision that I was lost in the details. I had the money so I went for it.

I didn't have any experience either other than 10 years dreaming. So far I have cut about 50 small wooden cars (some in the trash bin) 3 tie racks, 2 Christmas wreaths, 5 children's coat racks, and 12 double sided wooden arrow heads for my daughter's Green Arrow Halloween costume. I have also broken about 10 bits. Most of them cheap and all my fault. Always remember to put the clip on the bit/end mill when you auto zero your tools. This machine is powerful enough to try to drive both your bit and the auto z touch plate through the table. I was just a couple of pieces of 3/8" chip board but it was not going to stop on its own. I broke the tip off of a nice 90 deg V bit.

Dust collection is also a must, I can't imagine what my garage would look like if I didn't have the cyclone.

The best way to save money would to go nema23 2448Pro. Depending on what you plan on making. I haven't cut anything yet that has needed the 48x96. I am planning on cutting some quilting frames next week, but that is the first time I will need most of the table but with a little more waste I could even cut most of that on quarter sheets of plywood and cut the cross braces out of 1x3s. The nema23 steppers would also simplify your wiring by using the Gecko 540 controller.

I hope this help. It is late and my brain is mush.
good night!
Chuck

thefixerdude
10-26-2015, 01:29 AM
double post.....
Chuck

jueston
10-26-2015, 03:29 PM
why the pro vs the standard?

the first time i looked at CNCRP i looked at the standard 4848 and i just couldn't figure out how to get accuracy our of a machine which has bearings rolling on top of a flat surface, i know my shop, every square inch of it is covered in saw dust, and i just know i would never have good enough dust collection to make sure the tracks on both sides were dust free. the PRO4848 has rails which are not flat on the top and bottom, and this reduces the risk of saw dust getting under your bearings and reducing your accuracy.

i've never run a standard CNCRP machine, so i may be way off. but i went with the PRO4848 and i am very happy with my decision to spend the extra money on it.

pdwatermelon
10-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the response, I am looking at going with the CNC4848 Pro now, with the Full Nema23 already built. I believe that will be simplest for me right now.

Mokra
05-12-2016, 02:46 AM
Still looking to see one? Live in Wyoming just across the Utah border. I built a Solsylva from David Steele to get my head wrapped around the CNC world. I regret not buying the big dog off the start but i learned a lot so i guess that is valuable. I definitely could give some advice and hands on if your interested. Im still messy and learning but starting to get my head around it.