PDA

View Full Version : Skate deck profile cut bit?

diyskier
08-27-2015, 08:07 PM
I am a hobbyist ski and board builder and have recently been learning to use CNC. So far most of the projects I have done have been using an endmill bit to slowly cut layer by layer down on project to profile or pocket something. This has worked well for those projects but I would like to be able to use my machine to make the profile cut of my skate decks in one pass.
Here is an example of what I want to do - 4minutes 20 seconds into video video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fGiYX3g_uE

- What kind of bit is used to make this pass? The bit looks like it cuts from the side of the bit and not the end.

- Also I am currently using a cnc router parts cnc with nema 23 motors and unfortunately a harbor freight trim router for my cutter (keep price low while I learn). I probably need to get a larger router or upgrade to a spindle - any suggestions for a cheap but more powerful cutter.

diyskier
09-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Ok I upgraded router to Hitachi m12vc and got precision collet - still not sure what size bit to use for cut through pass? If anyone has any suggestions on geometry of bit I would really appreciate it!
I have had some success making this cut but it sounds really rough on machine.

ger21
09-21-2015, 09:01 PM
- What kind of bit is used to make this pass? The bit looks like it cuts from the side of the bit and not the end.

Looks like a standard 2 flute carbide tipped straight bit, either 3/8" or 1/2" diameter.

How it sounds depends on how rigid your machine is, and how tightly clamped the boards are. Noise is caused by vibration.

Andrew_standen
11-25-2015, 07:39 AM
Hi, I have been cutting skate boards using the same construction methods and materials as above, I use a 6mm single flute compression spiral, I cut single pass at 3500mm feed at 16000rpm using a 2200watt spindle motor. on a Mechmate CNC machine.

diyskier
11-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks Guys for all of the info - working on skis now but I will be doing some test runs of bits before spring rolls around