PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Is it possible to connect the machine / Panel to an UPS in case of power loss?

FoxCNC1
08-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I recently had to replace the UPS for my computer as the battery was dead. I have had some instances in the past where there has been a power outage for split second and had the machine stop as if someone had hit the E-stop.

I don't remember what happened on the computer end.

anyhow, I bought a new "sine wave" UPS from Cyber Power for my computer. It is rated at 1500Va. I was able to connect my Bosh router and simulate power outtages and it seems work okay. However the CNC control panel goes pretty much dead - Why is this? Is is not possible to run the machine from a UPS for a few seconds - long enough to hold feeds or for the power to kick back in?

Please advice how you guys are dealing with this.
Also, I wanted to add that I am using a PMDX-126; I bought the kit with Nema 34 motors for my machine directly from CNCRP.

jueston
08-05-2015, 08:10 AM
i am no expert, but i think UPS's are rated in 2 ways: Va which is really a measure of how much energy the batteries can hold, and Watts which is a measure of how much power it can provide when the power goes out and it has to convert that battery power to AC power.

when you turn the router on and then simulate the power outage, the motor is already spinning and it has no load, so if the power drops to a lower level for a few seconds it can limp along under lower power. but electronics can not handle reduced power the same way, so if your UPS doesn't have enough wattage to run the spindle and electronics, my guess is that the spindle would respond well, but the electronics would not.

your cyber power UPS is probably rated for something like 900 watts.

a 48V 12.5A power supply is taking up 600 of those watts, if there are a few other things taking power you've reached your 900 and the UPS won't be able to keep constant stable power.

ger21
08-05-2015, 09:39 AM
It might work if you use two (or 3) UPS's.

Please advice how you guys are dealing with this.

I never lose power, so I don't have to deal with it. ;)

FoxCNC1
08-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Ha good one. I dont really loose power, but I do get the flickers from time to time.

FoxCNC1
08-05-2015, 08:49 PM
i am no expert, but i think UPS's are rated in 2 ways: Va which is really a measure of how much energy the batteries can hold, and Watts which is a measure of how much power it can provide when the power goes out and it has to convert that battery power to AC power.

when you turn the router on and then simulate the power outage, the motor is already spinning and it has no load, so if the power drops to a lower level for a few seconds it can limp along under lower power. but electronics can not handle reduced power the same way, so if your UPS doesn't have enough wattage to run the spindle and electronics, my guess is that the spindle would respond well, but the electronics would not.

your cyber power UPS is probably rated for something like 900 watts.

a 48V 12.5A power supply is taking up 600 of those watts, if there are a few other things taking power you've reached your 900 and the UPS won't be able to keep constant stable power.

yes is it rated for 900W. It is also a "sine wave" UPS.
The interesting thing is that with only my control panel connected it to the UPS, and simulating a power interruption, the cabinet just dies.
My vacuum doesn't work either. Maybe they are just drawing too much current on their own and I would need something with 20 A or something?

blacksmith2
08-06-2015, 07:00 AM
yes is it rated for 900W. It is also a "sine wave" UPS.
The interesting thing is that with only my control panel connected it to the UPS, and simulating a power interruption, the cabinet just dies.
My vacuum doesn't work either. Maybe they are just drawing too much current on their own and I would need something with 20 A or something?

UPS systems have multiple connections. All are usually filtered and a subset are battery backed. Printers, monitors, and other power hungry devices are put on the filtered outputs to protection from spikes - they can go down with little impact. The other outputs are for items that cannot tolerate sags or outages. You might be plugged into a filtered/unbacked outlet.

FoxCNC1
08-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Hi blacksmith, no I actually made sure to connect to the surge/battery plugs. Very weird.
For instance on the same outlet my Bosch spindle router will work fine on battery (at 8000 rpms) I have to test at 20K.

blacksmith2
08-06-2015, 07:26 AM
That might imply the router momentum is surviving a transition sag that another device would not. Everything is pointing back to a faulty UPS. If the UPS is configurable, reset it to factory specs before calling Cyberpower.

PS On the old one with the dead batteries - I upgrade the batteries on my UPSs every few years. The large 12's are $20 on eBay or Amazon. Some folks plumb in car/motorcycle batteries.

FoxCNC1
08-06-2015, 07:34 AM
The funny thing is that if I connect my PC and LCD's to such UPS (as a matter of fact they are right now) and I pull the plug, all those devices work.
I think It may be something with my Control panel / and vacuum.

nlancaster
08-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Sounds more likely you are drawing more power while on battery then it can provide.

FoxCNC1
08-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Sounds more likely you are drawing more power while on battery then it can provide.

Maybe, it's a shame because I bought this ups with the intension of using it for my machine alone.

jueston
08-06-2015, 01:27 PM
they make UPS's in every size from little power strip sized to the ones installed in data centers. if this power situation is something that happens often and you want to fix it, you could buy a larger one. newegg.com had hundreds in the 3000watt range

naPS
08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Maybe, it's a shame because I bought this ups with the intension of using it for my machine alone.

Are you trying to power your vacuum with it as well? It sounds like it. I'm assuming your vacuum is powered through your control panel? Even a 1hp vacuum draws at least 750W - if you're trying to do that and a control panel, you've definitely exceeded the limits of the UPS.

CyberPower makes really good home UPS systems. They make larger models as well, sounds like you might need one of those.