PDA

View Full Version : Need help

metal mite
07-08-2015, 03:03 PM
The company I work for is looking for a router to machine aluminum. These pcs are going to have to be squared up with router, 1/4 thick 18'' X 18'' . They have cut out and holes also to be machined.We will not be any wood ,only other mat will be G10 board . The machine will have to work 8 hrs a day 5days per week, If some one can help decide if this is a good choice please give your input.

Thanks Metal Mite

ihavenofish
07-10-2015, 10:56 PM
thats actually very similar to a job i do. we take 1/4" plate (5" to 12" square) and mill them square with round corners. when my mill spindle was down, we ran them on the xzero raptor with tekno spindle on a vacuum fixture and it worked very well.

heres a video of the machine cutting some aluminium (bike chainring)
Cutting Aluminium with the Ultimate Spindle Mount and Itty Bitty Toe Clamps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfKHMG4_McI)

since you want something to really work constantly, the xzero predator, which has a heavier and stronger frame than the raptor, and a more powerful tekno spindle and an aluminium vacuum table might be ideal. the table needs to be metal because you will need some form of coolant - mist probably is best.