PDA

View Full Version : Compumill retrofit

Dick L.
11-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Hello ,
I posted on another forum (FAQ Milling Machines) on this site but didn't realize until now Mach had it's own here. I have an early system 10 Dynapath driven Compumill with a control problem. I am looking into the problem but would like to find out if Mach 3 will drive the servos on a Compumill and what would I need to interface with it ? I have a stand alone computer I can use and Cam software. Thanks in advance for any help you might provide!
regards,
Dick L.

DennisCNC
11-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm guessing the mill is ~15 or more years old correct? What type of servos does it have (AC, DC Brushless, DC brush)? What brand of servo amps? They probably take +/- 10 control signal if so than you can use a converter board that will take a step/dir signal from Mach and convert it to +/-10 volt for the drive.
Here is a link for the converter board:
http://www.skyko.com/products/

Karl_T
11-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Also, these old servos are likely to use resolvers for determining position. They will have to be replaced with encoders.

Karl

DennisCNC
11-14-2006, 11:00 PM
^^ True that!

Dick L.
11-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Dennis , They are Baldor motors , brushed ,25 amp , 450 oz in. That is all I could see at the moment. Karl I'm not sure on the encoder type. Thank you both for the info . I will know in a couple days if I need to go in this direction.
Dick