PDA

View Full Version : What Next!

Cutloose
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok...after months of looking at different plans, I have started building something of my own. However, keep in mind, I am an extreme newbie who needs lots of help. Hence, my plea for "What Next"

I have attached some pictures of what I have done so far. I'm not trying to build cheap, but I don't need everything to be high end either. I enjoy building....but I'd also like to get the damn thing done so I can use it.

Included with my pictures is a rendering of someone elses CNC which I like and would like to emulate.

Thanks all!

Oldmanandhistoy
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi,

Just keep copying opps mean emulating it looks good so far.:D
Keep us posted.

John

Cutloose
10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Hmmmm....should I have the CNC Zone Attorney review my plans for patent infringments.:rolleyes:

I think I should put a X axis lead screw on next, but I'm not sure what to use or how to install/attach it to what I have.

joecnc2006
10-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I would build everything first, get it sliding smoothly (all three axis) then figure the motor, bearings blocks, backlash nuts, leadscrewand etc., placement from that, its easier to adjust brackets, than the whole machine.

joe

Oldmanandhistoy
10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Please don’t take offence I was only joking.:D

John

Oldmanandhistoy
10-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi again,:)

What’s the overall sizes of the frame?

Hope you are going to keep posting I’m watching this thread.

John

Cutloose
10-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll keep posting and sending pictures as I go. I was hoping for a little more help than I've gotten so far, I don't mean to sound unappreciative here, but I'm a little out of my area on this one.

The frame is 30x34. No special reason. I just wanted it to be bigh enough to make a sign or project that was 24 inches. I also picked up the 8020 cheap online.

Some questions I have:

1. I was thinking of just making the vertical sections of the gantry out of a 3 inch wide 8020 extrusion bolted directly to the X axis block bearing. I don't know if this is enough. Will this cause binding? I've seen so many projects that spread the vertical section of the gantry on two blocks per side.

2. How tall should the Y axis if the gantry be. I was thinking about running it below the frame so that I could attach it to the X axis lead screw from underneath and then 7 or 8 inches above the frame. A total of probably less than 12 inches.

3. Also...trying to think ahead alittle...how will I attached the lead screw?

Stay tuned for more exciting episodes!!!

Oldmanandhistoy
10-28-2006, 11:05 AM
On your question on dimensions; If you are confident the designer of this machine is reliable enough for you to copy ,with careful measuring of the drawing all you need is there, well close enough I would say.

As for your other question I am not qualified enough to give an opinion although I could if I had to but could be wrong so I wont.

One question did you consider fully supported bearing shaft, what was the cost difference and would you think that the difference would not justify the extra $$$.

Has anybody else reading this thread built a similar machine; and would like to suggest design changes?

John

joecnc2006
10-30-2006, 01:26 PM
One thing you may want to move this thead to the metal machines, this section is wood design machines.

I thought that was the design in the first picture was what you are building verbatum. but after reading your comments below, i see you are just using it as a guide.

since the rails are unsupported, and you are using one bearing block each side, yes i would use a bottom cross member on the gantry, and attach the x-axis lead screw to it.

using the 8020 for the gantry uprights should work fine and make it easier to adjust, the height will depend on the cutting clearance you want and also how you plan on doing the Z-axis which usualy hangs below the Y-axis of the gantry.

joe

I'll keep posting and sending pictures as I go. I was hoping for a little more help than I've gotten so far, I don't mean to sound unappreciative here, but I'm a little out of my area on this one.

The frame is 30x34. No special reason. I just wanted it to be bigh enough to make a sign or project that was 24 inches. I also picked up the 8020 cheap online.

Some questions I have:

1. I was thinking of just making the vertical sections of the gantry out of a 3 inch wide 8020 extrusion bolted directly to the X axis block bearing. I don't know if this is enough. Will this cause binding? I've seen so many projects that spread the vertical section of the gantry on two blocks per side.

2. How tall should the Y axis if the gantry be. I was thinking about running it below the frame so that I could attach it to the X axis lead screw from underneath and then 7 or 8 inches above the frame. A total of probably less than 12 inches.

3. Also...trying to think ahead alittle...how will I attached the lead screw?

Stay tuned for more exciting episodes!!!

Oldmanandhistoy
10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
"One thing you may want to move this thead to the metal machines, this section is wood design machines."

Is this forum for machines cutting wood or machines made from wood?

joecnc2006
10-30-2006, 06:05 PM
"One thing you may want to move this thead to the metal machines, this section is wood design machines."

Is this forum for machines cutting wood or machines made from wood?

you may be right since it says woodworking machines, a little confusing.

ger21
10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Machines for cutting wood. :)

Reef Guy
10-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Have you considered having another bearing block on each side for your x axis as in the original design you are using for a guide? I'm in the process of building a similar machine and the unsupported rails are definitely problematic but having 2 blocks on each side makes it much better. I've considered grinding the rails in some spots to drill and tap for support screws to improve the rigidity. Someone here on the zone has done that with great success. I'm mainly looking to cut acrylic though.

Cutloose
11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm a little confused now.....is this forum for wood machines or wood cutting machines?

I have also considered using two blocks per side on the x axis. I was going to try it with one and I could always add another with a little modification later. Do you have a build log, ReefGuy? I would like to see what you are doing.

Although it is interesting building from scratch.....I want to get cutting. I almost wish I could pay someone to build it for me! (hint..hint)

diarmaid
11-22-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm a little confused now.....is this forum for wood machines or wood cutting machines?

See post above...are you not reading your own thread? Tut tut!! ;) :hehe:): Looks great so far, please keep the pics a comin! :D
Machines for cutting wood. :)

merl
11-22-2006, 04:41 PM
The design your copying is a good one, stick to it verbatum.
(just don't try to call it your own)

Cutloose
11-23-2006, 11:10 AM
No...I'm not trying to infringe on anyones work product here....just trying to build a machine that works. I am a newbie at this in every sense of the word. I have grave doubts of whether I will be able to complete this or not.

Thanks for all the help!

Tim

Reef Guy
11-27-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm just not organized enough with this for a build log, but I will post some pics at some point in the future. Plus, I keep changing/improving things as I go. I've been using other's logs as a guide mainly trying to focus on Cncfoam's build and adapting it. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16818&highlight=8020

I ended up changing my X axis rails to Hiwin supported rails and the difference is truly amazing. I really wish I would have just gone with supported rails from the start but such is life.

Have you gone any further with your's?