PDA

View Full Version : Harley Davidson Logo

Smackre
10-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Afriend of mine seen the harley logo that is on the little advertisement on this site for V Carve. He asked me if i could cut it out for him. So im wondering if anyone knows where to get it? i have looked around and not found anything. I can draw it but i figured id ask and see b4 i did.

Thanks Eric,

austin.mn
10-22-2006, 06:38 PM
you can download an eps file of it here:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/?query_id=2761573&page=1&mtype=&brand_id=1785

i use this site for logo's all the time.

Smackre
10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks vary much.

CNCRob
10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Heres one other site that has some pretty good logos. http://www.logotypes.ru/list_e.asp?cat=h

Errol Groff
10-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I just created a folder on the NEMES website for DXF and IGS files. A Harley logo file is there now.

http://neme-s.org/DXF_IGS_Folder/

I will add more files as time allows.

Errol Groff

ViperTX
10-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Slippery slope here....read Harley's legal website....

RICHARD ZASTROW
10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Ditto on ViperTX #6 HD gets really upset about un-approved use of any of their copyrighted/registered/patented stuff. I live in the Milwaukee area and get to hear & read about it a lot.

CRFultz
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
From Harley's legal dept.

"It is illegal (and in most states a criminal act) for anyone to create trademark-bearing goods intended for sale without written permission directly from the trademark owner. There are no exceptions. It is also illegal to resell such goods, even when they have been purchased in good faith from someone else. "

The key word is sale.

CRFultz
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
I just created a folder on the NEMES website for DXF and IGS files. A Harley logo file is there now.

http://neme-s.org/DXF_IGS_Folder/

I will add more files as time allows.

Errol Groff

Errol did you know your phonebook is on that site as well?

Is Dr Barris still a quack?:)

Switcher
10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
CRFultz

From Harley's legal dept.

"It is illegal (and in most states a criminal act) for anyone to create trademark-bearing goods intended for sale without written permission directly from the trademark owner. There are no exceptions. It is also illegal to resell such goods, even when they have been purchased in good faith from someone else. "

The key words would be "for sale".

Smackre, never said he was selling it!

Thats like saying I can't download any image off the internet (Yeah, Right!). Post it on the net, consider it FREE!

Smackre
10-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I never intended on selling this sign. Its a gift to a friend. Hes a big harley rider and wants a sign for around hes pool table. So if that quote is right. What I plan on doing is completely legal.

Switcher
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I never intended on selling this sign. Its a gift to a friend. Hes a big harley rider and wants a sign for around hes pool table. So if that quote is right. What I plan on doing is completely legal.

I agree. :)

Smackre
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Here is the what I ended up going with. I realy like the results. Soon as I get my new spindle installed I will cut it out.

CRFultz
10-24-2006, 06:34 PM
The key words would be "for sale".

Smackre, never said he was selling it!

Thats like saying I can't download any image off the internet (Yeah, Right!). Post it on the net, consider it FREE!

I see you got my point...no sales involved here...perfectly legal

CRFultz
10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Here is the what I ended up going with. I realy like the results. Soon as I get my new spindle installed I will cut it out.

Nice work Smackre, I'm sure your friend will like it....I'm a Harley Rider and I know i would....
Be sure to take a pic of the completed job

Chuck

bill south
10-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Smackre

Nice Logo!!! Does anyone have this in dXF or IGS format for my bobbycad!!!!
Need to mill one of these out as a replacement point cover for the "King".
Bill
:)

Smackre
10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Let me see if i can transfer it to DXF for IGS. Not sure if i can or not.

Soundcop
03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Heres one other site that has some pretty good logos. http://www.logotypes.ru/list_e.asp?cat=h

THX ..... just the page i need ..... super ;)

Torchhead
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Actually if you read the copyright and trademark laws they go past the "for sale" limit. In the case of a trademark the holder can sue if they feel that a person would mistake a product for theirs and there has been material "harm". That harm could come in the form of confusion about a product if Harley makes anything similar and/or they lost a sale of their product. So if you go to a Harley Dealership and see any authorized gear or items with the logo they could claim you were intending to infringe even though you just made one to give away. Mostly what you have to worry about is they have the lawyers to do what they like even if you feel you are right.

It's not safe to make copies of any trademarked item or the trademark (logo) itself without permission from the trademark holder. It's unlikely they would pursue a small case unless it's a cheap way to act as a deterent.

I got threatened with a lawsuit one time because my company logo I designed 'resembled' one similar to a magazine's product award. Even though it was not exact and I pointed out that the basic shape was used by the US military (among others) they offered to let a court sort it out.....I changed my logo and shutup. There was no money involved in this at any point since I didn't sell magazines!

So giving something away for free does not absolve you from the "harm" part of the statue. You would not be allowed to make Hershey Bars with their logo and give them away because they could prove financial loss (harm).

Make your part, give it away and don't advertise it by posting. Stay below the radar.

TOM CAUDLE
www.CandCNC.com

Soundcop
04-01-2008, 03:51 AM
Actually if you read the copyright and trademark laws they go past the "for sale" limit. In the case of a trademark the holder can sue if they feel that a person would mistake a product for theirs and there has been material "harm". That harm could come in the form of confusion about a product if Harley makes anything similar and/or they lost a sale of their product. So if you go to a Harley Dealership and see any authorized gear or items with the logo they could claim you were intending to infringe even though you just made one to give away. Mostly what you have to worry about is they have the lawyers to do what they like even if you feel you are right.

It's not safe to make copies of any trademarked item or the trademark (logo) itself without permission from the trademark holder. It's unlikely they would pursue a small case unless it's a cheap way to act as a deterent.

I got threatened with a lawsuit one time because my company logo I designed 'resembled' one similar to a magazine's product award. Even though it was not exact and I pointed out that the basic shape was used by the US military (among others) they offered to let a court sort it out.....I changed my logo and shutup. There was no money involved in this at any point since I didn't sell magazines!

So giving something away for free does not absolve you from the "harm" part of the statue. You would not be allowed to make Hershey Bars with their logo and give them away because they could prove financial loss (harm).

Make your part, give it away and don't advertise it by posting. Stay below the radar.

TOM CAUDLE
www.CandCNC.com

alll i want is to make some new labels for the tank on my dad´s bike ... is that not legal ?

Torchhead
04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
It's highly unlikely a US company would pursue an action against a person on Denmark for a trademark violation unless it was blatant and of a size and scope where the cost of a lawsuit was justified. In civil law the distinction of 'legal' is often what can be proven in court and makes economic sense. Big companies don't like lawsuits but they also consider their branding and trademarks as valuable corporate assets that should be protected. Bottom line is that most companies won't go after individuals for single case infractions since they have much larger fish to fry.

So to answer the question: It's not legal to use a companies registered trademark for any purpose, but the company is faced with the burden of showing material harm and defending their trademark or intellectual property. In civil law the amount of harm needs to be at a level that the cost of legal action is justified. The usual first course of action from the company is a "cease and desist letter" that tells you to stop. Saber rattling (warning shot) but usually effective.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney but I have been thrust into the civil legal system several times and paid $$$ to "learn". Bottom line is that the person with the deepest pockets or best lawyers wins. I have sit in meetings in a Fortune 500 company with their internal legal staff about using legal actions and I can tell you that it's largely an arbitrary process. It's hard to predict what the CEO will elect to carry past the canned warning letter stage.

TOM CAUDLE
www.CandCNC.com

tauscnc
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I always understood it that you could not for sale,,,which is totally understandable since one would be making money from their name. So non-comercial use. I too cut that sign out, looks great.

If this was the case than logos could not even be posted on different website, people that like harly's and have put up pics of theirs, etc. Also other logos like the marines, airforce, airplanes, etc etc etc.

I also see the dog with glasses photo is a picture for sale but using it as a icon for your name seems non-commercial to me.

I am not sure so the reason I ask and also am interested in this thread.

taus
www.cuttingedgecnc.com

greenchair
05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know where to find the saying

Ride to live, live to ride logo that would look good on a hunk of oak?

thanks

tobyaxis
05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
There are a number of these floating around. Try the Harley Site.

1cnchogger
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Does anyone have an ACDC logo? or know where to get one?

austin.mn
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/99909258/53021.html

Switcher
07-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have an ACDC logo? or know where to get one?

Here is a (DXF) sign.

You can delete the "Thunderstruck" text, If all you want is AC/DC

http://mydxf.blogspot.com/2009/05/design-287.html

1cnchogger
07-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks switcher...you the man...looks great.

Radical!
08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
http://neme-s.org/DXF_IGS_Folder/Harley%20Logo.dxf

Enjoy!

Robert:)

greenchair
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know where there is an iges file for the BSA motorcycle logs?

thanks

greenchair
10-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Does anyone have a dxf of Harley Davidson wings emblem? I found some neat software to vectorize it but its a bit rough.

cheers

bobsch
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I've got a copy of the Harley logo already in DXF but it's too big to attach. If can you PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

mxer
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm experimenting with making some parts and pieces for my Harley and ran across this thread. Can anyone here be of any help in converting a picture into .dxf to bring into my Mastercam software.

tauscnc
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Here you go,

I have it on my website. The work has been done.

As always, for SHARING only, not for profit.

Harley Davidson Plaque (http://cuttingedgecnc.com/harleyplaque.htm)

later
tauseef

ger21
02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
You do realize that it's illegal to have those files on your website. (copyright violation)

tauscnc
02-23-2012, 01:24 PM
hey,

I know there was much talk about this when this file first came about. The file is from the net, we all tweaked it a bit more for cnc. I posted my file I used to make the sign on the site.

I know this has been (is) a touchy and confusing subject...but what can we make – do - share? If it is for personal use I thought we could? We ALL agree you can't make this stuff for profit without written consent.

We all have cut out many things. I have cut out many things for the kids, my little pony, squinkies, spiderman, spongebob, etc. Granted I don't have the files up and don’t sell them either. The kids also draw spongbob, spiderman, etc... granted we don't sell them either. I guess my question is would that also be considered copyright issues??

Do you think it is the "distribution" part that is the problem? But making it and showing picture (as long as you don’t share the file) ok? I don’t know but would like to find out too. I don’t wanna do anything wrong. My bro-in-law is a lawyer and I will ask him, see what he says.

Thanks again,
taus

tauscnc
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey Gerry,

I removed it.. and the one of the chicago bears I made.

I will still ask my brother in law next time I meet up with hime to get any info on the subject.

thx.

tauseef

ger21
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
According to this, you can't put any corporate logos on your website.
Logo copyright information about Ford and Microsoft and American Red Cross plus other company and copyrighted logos and logo clip art (http://webclipart.about.com/od/msub32aa/l/bllogo.htm)

mactec54
02-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I could not resist, this is my Harley copyright, a modified EVO engine I rebuilt for a customer, having a test run