PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrush?

eintnl
01-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Anybody here made molds for toothbrushes? Curious about the process, moreso the addition of the bristles. Appreciate anybody shedding some light.

Cheers, Paul.

KBW
01-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Just out side Xanadu China, in the northern Provence there is an old woman in a small house with a table a pocket knife and a large roll of tooth brush brissle material. She meticulously cuts each one and inserts them one by one into each hole, 50 brissles per hole 50 holes per brush. She's very good at what she does and very fast also.
Her pay is a can of sardines and a good a** beating on Friday.
Now with that back ground knowledge: does your tooth brush ever smell like fish?

eintnl
01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
It isn't your mother is it?

dcd121
01-14-2004, 09:55 AM
KBW ,
Are you truly mean spirited or does your attempt at humor just seam that way?

Rekd
01-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Funny, I was thinking about that this morning as I was putting my toothbrush away. Will be interesting to hear the answer..

'Rekd

eintnl
01-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Rekd,

Appreciate your reply.

Met and worked with many toolmakers and have yet come across anybody who has made or even designed a mold for this. The reason why i am so curious is regarding whether or not the mold has a feeding mechanism to mold in the bristles or whether this is simply just a secondary process etc.

Cheers, Paul.

abasir
01-15-2004, 04:51 AM
Not my area but the following results from google search may give some ideas
http://www.radiustoothbrush.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=28

Extract
"the bristles (made elsewhere I assumed) are fused with heat and the resulting tuft is placed into a molding machine with others and the molding machine makes the handle, head and the tufts into one. In fusion bristling the bristles are polished before the injection molding stage"

eintnl
01-15-2004, 05:18 AM
abasir,

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading...

Paul.

leberen
05-07-2006, 12:52 PM
"The major drawback to staple set bristling is that the depth of the hole into which the tuft is placed and the required thickness of the head behind it, make the total head dimension (tip of bristles to back of head plate) quite thick."

That'd be a tuft job to do by hand :D

Geof
05-07-2006, 02:42 PM
That'd be a tuft job to do by hand :D

Heh zone administrator we need an emoticon for GROAN :)

DJPLAST
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Back years ago Dr. Boy (a dentist) could not find anyone to build "his" toothbrush. He designed and built his own molding machine/mold to accomplish this task. Today Boy Molding Machines are world class machines still in production and available world wide.

leberen
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
from 14 to 100 tons... 24/7 production....I wounder what Dr. Boy's first machine did in comparison to these specs.

Bud Guitrau
07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Anybody here made molds for toothbrushes? Curious about the process, moreso the addition of the bristles. Appreciate anybody shedding some light.

Hi Paul,

I believe all tufts are auto-loaded into the mold insert. The bristles are pre-wrapped in bundles called "tufts" and are secured at their base or root by a thin strip of flat wire. Cheaper brushes use aluminum or brass wires, but better toothbrushes (Colgate, Oral-B, Butler and the like), use a nickle-silver alloy which has better anti-bacterial properties. Only the cheapest brushes like the complimentary ones given to forgetful hotel guests aren't anchored.

This strip is called "anchor wire" and believe it or not, is big business (figure 30-60 tufts in each toothbrush, multiplied times the jillions of toothbrushes produced everyday). The anchor wires hold the tufts tightly in bundles and provide better "roots" for the tufts after molding. There are even patents for these wires, including grooved and two-sided grooved wires for better anchoring properties in electric and children's toothbrushes (ever see how mangled-looking a child's toothbrush gets? lol)

The toothbrush cavity itself is not anything out of the ordinary but the bristles are typically inserted automatically by machine for speed and to insure proper depth of insertion.

Knowing this... now we can all sleep tonight. (Just brush your teeth first) lol

Bud

CNC Pro
07-05-2006, 01:25 AM
I was surprised to find that not all toothbrushes are made in offshore factories.
I recently had a local shop owner come by to check out my shop. He was on his way to a near-by injection company with a set of molds he’d made for producing “safety” toothbrushes issued to prison inmates. A cleaver design for an ever-increasing niche market (unfortunately!).

sdantonio
07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
does your tooth brush ever smell like fish?

I had an x-girlfriend once who had a special electric toothbrush set asside that she used as a vibrator (small, compact and very localized... hit the right spot in just the right way).

so, the answer to your question is yes, I once had a toothbrush in the house that smelled like fish. But it wasn't the one used for brushing my teeth.

tobyaxis
07-13-2006, 02:24 AM
I had an x-girlfriend once who had a special electric toothbrush set asside that she used as a vibrator (small, compact and very localized... hit the right spot in just the right way).

so, the answer to your question is yes, I once had a toothbrush in the house that smelled like fish. But it wasn't the one used for brushing my teeth.

I do not believe that this is the right place for this post. Though it's pretty funny, because by accident I used a friends toothbrush that was exactly like my old one to clean dog dodo on the bottom of my sneaker. Oops. LOL, I never told him when I realized it after he brushed his teeth. He was late on his half of the rent anyway. :D :D :D :D :rolleyes: