PDA

View Full Version : Mach 3 Axis calibration (Benchtop Pro)

Semus
02-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if calibrating the axes is needed when first setting up this machine?

It appears that CNCRP has an XML file that has a lot of things pre-loaded when you fire up Mach3. When you open up the "Motor Tuning" section of Mach3, you can tune the motor speed, acceleration, and you can also change the "Steps Per".

Cory and I went over these settings when I was first setting up the machine months ago, but I don't know if we ever messed with the "Steps Per" numbers.

The reason I bring this up is because I was doing some tests with a dial indicator the other day, and I noticed that when I moved the machine 1.0", it only moved 0.995". I double and triple checked to make sure this was correct, and it was. I had to go through the calibration process with the X and Y axes to make sure they both actually moved 1.0" when I told the machine to move 1.0".

Does the XML file from CNCRP come pre-loaded with specific "Steps Per" numbers?

My dial indicator is telling me that each axis now moves the exact distance that is input into Mach3, but only after calibrating the axes.

Semus
02-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Just wanted to post a reply to this so that there is some clarification here...

It turns out that my dial indicator was deflecting about 0.004 - 0.005. I place my dial indicator on a setup that had no chance for deflection, and found the original "Steps Per" numbers to be perfect.

I knew something wasn't right, and now I know what it was. Next time I'll know not to use a dial indicator on a stand that can deflect that much ;-)