PDA

View Full Version : PRO CNC Router Kit

FandZ
12-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

I just got my kit delivered yesterday. Very excited. It won't be till January before I fully assemble it. I was playing with the ball screw Z axis and I believe it needs some adjustments. Are there any guides for it. I didn't find any on the cncrouterparts web site. It seems to be a little out of spare and is very hard to turn. Attached is a picture of the bearing block and it's visibly raised on one side. I thought I best ask before I started taking an alen wrench to it.

alan_3301
12-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Did it come assembled? If so, I'd imagine they would either send you another one, or give detailed instructions on how to fix it.
Either way they should take care of you, I'd be patient because of the holidays, it may take a little bit for them to get back to you.
I would just leave it alone until they have a solution for you.

Semus
12-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

I just got my kit delivered yesterday. Very excited. It won't be till January before I fully assemble it. I was playing with the ball screw Z axis and I believe it needs some adjustments. Are there any guides for it. I didn't find any on the cncrouterparts web site. It seems to be a little out of spare and is very hard to turn. Attached is a picture of the bearing block and it's visibly raised on one side. I thought I best ask before I started taking an alen wrench to it.

Are you saying that it's hard to move by hand? Or, do you mean it's hard to move with the motors? If you are trying to move it by hand, it won't be easy. There should definitely be some force required, but not so much that you can't move it with 2 or 3 fingers. The roller bearings are nice and tight against the rails, and that massive plate is attached to the ball screw, so all that together will act against whatever you're using to move it.

Again, you should be able to move it with 2-3 fingers, but it does require some force.

As far as that end bracket is concerned, I would definitely email them about it before messing with it, especially if you aren't sure.

Good luck with your build ;-)

ahren
12-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Hi FandZ,

Feel free to contact us directly to discuss. There is supposed to be a small gap between the FK-12 cap and the body that retains the bearings -- this is to insure that the bearings inside of the block are fully constrained in the block. Without this gap, it would be possible for the cap to bottom out on the bearing housing, allowing room for the bearings to shift back and forth, which you definitely don't want. It looks like maybe we didn't do a good job of "leveling" this cap against the bearing, and while this shouldn't affect function, we should do a better job of this. We can walk you through altering this -- it basically just involves loosening the bolts opposite the side with the bigger gap and re-tightening the bolts on the other side so that the space is relatively even.

As Semus mentioned, the coupler will offer resistance to being rotated by hand. However, it is possible that the eccentric bearings are adjusted too tightly on your axis, so you can check and adjust these. They are located on one side of the axis, and are easiest to adjust with a 5mm hex wrench and a 14mm box wrench. See attached picture.

Best regards,

Ahren
CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com)

FandZ
12-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Hello Ahren,

Thank you for the reply. Pictures really don't do your pro Z axis justice. That thing is a beast. The first thing my wife asked when she saw it was where's the new motor for it. I told her I planned on using my existing nema 23 motors and she couldn't stop laughing. So I may be ordering some Nema 32 motors with the wife's approval for once. I'll send off an email for detailed instruction for adjusting the bearing block to make sure I don't loosen or tighten the wrong ones. Anyhow very impressed with all the parts I received.

Happy holidays,
Chris