PDA

View Full Version : Great Product

robinsoncr
09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Joakim,

I wanted to give you some feedback regarding MadCAM. Lastweek, I finally got around to putting MadCAM to use. I was very impressed with it's performance!

I had the opportunity to make some comparisons. I had a program that was created for me by another company based on a digitized model. That company had used ArtCam Pro to create the toolpaths.

What I found was that using that same model, MadCAM was about 15% faster using the exact same tools.

Saturday, I took the opportunity to machine a guitar body. I machined the pickup cavities too deep due to my error but the contours of the body were flawless! I'll attach a picture of the body. I need to play with changing chain directions to compensate for wood grain/tool direction, though.

I'm finding that MadCAM has capabilities far greater than I originally thought. When you compare this functionality to price, I don't think there's another product on the market that compares!

I am phasing out Mastercam completely because of this. I'm finding that using Rhino3d + MadCAM is far faster and simplier. Thanks for a great product and fantastic support.

I'm looking forward to seeing the capability to create custom tools and engraving with v-carving tools! (hint, hint...)

Thanks,

Chris Robinson

turmite
09-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Amen, and amen!

Joakim, I told you the other day that the files I got from Madcam were smaller and faster than those I got from Mastercam. Now I have proof.

robinsoncr isn't it fun to get the program and then just keep learning that it will do more and more? Other updates are coming too! Leastwise....that's what I was told.:p

Good looking guitar too. I'll put mine up soon as I get it all cut out.

Mike

turmite
09-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Oh yeah I for got. Wenge or Bocote top with cherry middle???

Mike

JOM
09-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Chris,
Thank you very much!
I am glad to here that you are pleased with madCAM.
I will work on having custom tool creation in madCAM.

Joakim

JOM
09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Mike,
Yes I remember you told me that. I think the speed is good because I have optimized it as much as possible for my own need when using it in my workshop. I have my own workshop producing moulds for injection moulding.

Joakim

1toolmaker
04-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Do you have to have Rhino to run MadCAM, or can you just use something like AutoCAD or SolidWorks ?

JOM
04-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Hello 1toolmaker,

MadCAM is a plug-in for Rhino and cannot run alone. We started develop
madCAM as a standalone system, but it’s much more powerful when integrated with Rhino, because you will have all the visualisation tools and functions for creating and editing curves, surfaces and solids in one system.

If you prefer to use another system for the modelling work, you can still use madCAM and Rhino for the CAM work. Rhino 4.0 is able to read almost any file format from other CAD systems like Autocad and Solidworks.

Joakim

robinsoncr
04-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Joakim, did you get my email about ramped entry when cutting outlines?

Thanks,

Chris R