PDA

View Full Version : Problem Fortus 400 - print directly on foundation sheet

zcases
11-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Has anyone tried to print DIRECTLY on the foundation sheet on a Fortus 400? The Insight software "lets" you remove base layers, and it lets you move the countours of the STL to Z zero....but it will not print the first 10-15 or so layers properly. The appearance is that the table is too far from the nozzle tip, for the first few layers, then the layers "catch up" to where the nozzle tip is and it looks ok from there on up.

Any ideas or experience with this? I've just wasted (succesfully as Click and Clack would say) an entire day + on trying to do this!

THANKS!
Scott

giz
11-18-2014, 01:14 AM
I haven't personally tried it, but if I did I would do what you are doing already. I'm wondering how you'll ever remove the part from the sheet though if you do get it to work.

zcases
11-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Ahhhhh ! But the trick of this whole effort was that in this particular case, the foundation sheet will be a functional part of the finished print job! I got it working with acceptable results. Should not have had to tweak everything as I did, but, it works and its not an everyday thing so I'm good..............basically I think the machine control software expects there to always be a base layer (?). Not tested this theory completely, but by really fattening up the first few model layers, I got "OK" adhesion and structure in the first few model layers.........