PDA

View Full Version : Lathe threeading

camtd
09-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi

Is there a way in Surfcam to thread a part by taking less of cut as the tool cuts deeper and contacts the thread more?

Thanks

Al_The_Man
09-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Often the prefered way is the Z index, i.e. every time the thread starts the tool is indexed a fraction in the Z, this results in one side of the tool only cutting.
Al.

camtd
09-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi

I can see how this can be done by editing the code. But how would you do it inside of Surfcam? Would that be by changing the number of starts?

Thanks

Al_The_Man
09-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I am not familiar with Surfcam but if your control has the G-code threading operation that has the Z offset function built in then that is far the easier way.
Of the top of my head, I cannot remember the the canned G code that does it.
Al.

HuFlungDung
09-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Typically, the G33 is used for single pass threading (spindle sync). This is the long way round and you must program every pass, but this gives total control to the programmer versus relying on the logic of a built in threading cycle.

CNCRim
09-22-2006, 01:43 AM
No, I don't think Surfcam have that future or not what I know of, maybe feature version.

Geof
09-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Hi

Is there a way in Surfcam to thread a part by taking less of cut as the tool cuts deeper and contacts the thread more?

Thanks

G76 will do this and on some machines can also include single side cutting where the tool is fed in at the thread half angle.