PDA

View Full Version : Mentor needed, Memphis area

Shorty
09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I am looking for someone in the Memphis area to help me learn about machining. I have extensive woodworking experience but know nothing about machining metals.

speedofsound
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, I'm not anywhere near the "mentor" status, but I am in the Memphis area and share your interests.

I started a small business with a friend in 2003, and we got our first CNC mill (a desktop/mini mill) in 1/05. It's been an interesting learning curve, as we started from zero in terms of knowledge. Lots of trial, with even more error! haha

Anyway, we just purchased a toolroom mill and will have a "real" machine to continue learning. I'd be happy to share what information I can if it would help.

Alan

tiger
09-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm not a mentor either, but learning. I'm glad to hear that there are other people in the Memphis area. I'm currently working on getting my shoptask machine converted to cnc.

speedofsound
09-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm not a mentor either, but learning. I'm glad to hear that there are other people in the Memphis area. I'm currently working on getting my shoptask machine converted to cnc.

I've befriended a few machinists around town, and have learned a good bit from them. I pick up a lot by watching and listening, and being able to observe some experienced CNC operators has been a benefit.

Again, I'd be happy to help you guys out if I'm able.

Alan

xscsime
09-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I would also like to talk to some of you guys in the Memphis area. I would also like to find someone who uses Bobcad and might give me some pointers.

Rick Kelley

Bartlett

speedofsound
09-19-2006, 08:04 PM
I would also like to talk to some of you guys in the Memphis area. I would also like to find someone who uses Bobcad and might give me some pointers.

Rick Kelley

Bartlett

Rick,

We're using Bobcad v21 for our work. My partner and I signed the deal on a Milltronics MB18 which should arrive at our shop within the next week or so. This will replace the mini-mill we've been using for the last 2 years, although we'll keep the small one for a while to do some small-scale R&D work.

Since you're in Bartlett, you're very close to our shop. It's located very close to I-40/Whitten Road. PM me or send an email to alan@speedofsoundllc.com and we can chat a while.

Alan

xscsime
09-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey Alan,

Thanks for the offer, I sent you an email and I look forward to meeting and talking to you.

Thanks,

Rick Kelley

Jay C
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the Memphis/Cordova area. I work for FedEx at the WHQ and dabble in machining. My projects have included making brushless motors from CDROM parts for RC airplanes and more recently hobby robotics. Got the mill to CNC it and see what I could create. I also own a Taig micro lathe.

Where do you get your rae stock from? Is there a local merchant or shop that will sell us scraps?

Alan, you guys are right around the corner from me. I just picked up my Mini Mill a week ago. Where do you get your raw materials?

Jay

speedofsound
01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the Memphis/Cordova area. I work for FedEx at the WHQ and dabble in machining. My projects have included making brushless motors from CDROM parts for RC airplanes and more recently hobby robotics. Got the mill to CNC it and see what I could create. I also own a Taig micro lathe.

Where do you get your rae stock from? Is there a local merchant or shop that will sell us scraps?

Alan, you guys are right around the corner from me. I just picked up my Mini Mill a week ago. Where do you get your raw materials?

Jay

Hello Jay, good to see another from Memphis. We've come to know Rick (XSCSIME) pretty well since this thread got us together, and we've shared some good information with each other.

Did you get a Taig mill?

For raw materials, I have numerous sources. Plastics: Norrel Plastics is my main supplier. Ask for Robert, tell him Alan @ Speed of Sound sends you. Metals (we deal mostly with 6061 aluminum): OH Hendrix is one place. I have a friend who owns a recycling yard where I get some scrap pieces to learn with.

You're certainly welcome to stop by our shop and chat. We're usually up there on the weekends and evenings. PM me and I'll give you my contact info if you're interested.

Alan :)

Jay C
01-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I went with the Sieg X2. Haven't been able to use it yet so my questions are on hold until UPS delivers by tooling :) I'd love to stop in and chat and have a look at you big bad CNC center ... just love automation. I'll PM you my email and contact info.

Thanks,
Jay

speedofsound
01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I'll PM you my email and contact info.

PM replied! Good talking to you today.

Alan