PDA

View Full Version : Standard Nema 23 R&P Drive Spindle

bobmagnuson
10-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Had my first hiccup with the router tonight. Was surfacing the table, taking .007 off when the gantry started bouncing around like it was binding.

I took apart the A motor drive. The Standard Nema 23 R&P Drive Spindle (which had needle bearing) was completely shot and had scored the shoulder bolt. Luckily I have spares so I'm not dead in the water. The spare doesn't have the needle bearing, it has a brass bushing.

Is one an older design than the other? Is the premature wear indicative that I have the tension too high on the R&P?

nlancaster
10-15-2014, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't think you could put enough tension on the bearing to hurt it.
you didnt happen to clean or lube it with WD40 did you?
Because that could have taken most of the grease out of it.

bobmagnuson
10-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Nope, I didn't add anything to the bearing when I assembled it. I agree with the tension, it's not like I had it cranked down real hard.

Hopefully Ahren or Cory will provide some info.

ahren
10-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Bob,

The needle thrust bearing unit was not something you should have received -- this was a short-lived early version of the Nema 23 PRO drive spindles, and must have somehow gotten into our shipping inventory. Give us a shout tomorrow and we can get this swapped out for you.

Best regards,

Ahren
CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com)

bobmagnuson
10-15-2014, 09:11 PM
No worries Ahren. They were in a box of parts I received from Joe. I had used them instead of the correct ones. No need to swap them out.