PDA

View Full Version : R8 Spindle Question:

CROSSHATCH
09-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting a Cummins Mini Mill, It's the same mill as a Grizzly X2 Mini Mill. Anyway, it comes with a drill chuck. I have two questions:

Well first and for most, I'm getting this kit from www.Littlemachineshop.com http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1258 It's an R8 Spindle Collet set. You remove the Drill chuck and use these as the mill holders. I have all these mill bits, so it should be fine. And as time goes on, I guy buy more sized collets, correct? :cheers:

But, I have these collets that already have two bits in them. Now, they can easily fit into a drill chuck. Is it wrong to do that? Or is the drill chuck just bad on the mini-mill because it does not like lateral movement?

Thanks guys.

-Jason

Karl_T
09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=

But, I have these collets that already have two bits in them. Now, they can easily fit into a drill chuck. Is it wrong to do that? Or is the drill chuck just bad on the mini-mill because it does not like lateral movement?
[/QUOTE]

Its not a good idea to put end mills in a drill chuck. The chuck won't be perfectly on center, making one side of your cutter do most the work. It will dull there quickly.

You should consider getting some end mill holders. I like them much more than collets, especially for the larger sizes.

Karl

CROSSHATCH
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Did you click on the link? Those should be fine to start off, considering I have the Mill-Bits that would fit them.

Could idea right?

-Jason

big_mak
09-08-2006, 02:47 AM
My friend, those are endmill arbors, or adapters, not collets. These should be fine, as long as your bits have flats already ground on them, or you will grind flats on them for the set screw to locate on. This should keep the endmill from sucking out on your.

I prefer collets to these endmill holders, as they tend to run truer then weldon shank endmills, as they are clamped from all sides providing concentric force. If they are used properly, pullout should not be an issue.

CROSSHATCH
09-08-2006, 07:18 AM
I mean to say Edn-Mills, not collets. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the Info.

-Jason

2muchstuff
09-08-2006, 03:01 PM
The Harbor Freight version of this mill (same manufacture) is equiped/ set up for R8 collets.