PDA

View Full Version : Gap in work area on Benchtop Pro 2'x2'

Semus
09-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,

I've already sent an email to the guys over at CNCRP, but I wanted to ask this question here just to see if any of you have experienced this as well.

After installing everything and setting my "home" position, I noticed that there seems to be an excessive gap in the working area when the Y-axis is moved to the "home" position (far left when looking at the router side of the gantry).

I'm measuring about 1.5 inches from the edge of the work area to the center of the cutting tool bit on the router. To me, that seems like it's a bit much. I'm going to be cutting 2'x4' sheets of aluminum, and I need to be able to have the tool bit reach both sides of that 2 foot width. I do understand that the work area is actually slightly larger than 2 feet. That said, I cannot seem to move the Y-axis over far enough to be able to have the tool bit reach the very edge of my 2 foot wide sheet.

Keep in mind, this is only on the left side. There is no gap when the Y-axis is moved to the right side.

I've attached an image to help illustrate my point.

This is looking at the front of the machine from the router side. If I move the Y-axis over to the left, I still have this large gap. If I move any further, it sounds as if it's crashing, and I definitely don't want that ;)

nlancaster
09-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Sounds like you need to move your home sensor further to the left to gain back some of that space.

Semus
09-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Sounds like you need to move your home sensor further to the left to gain back some of that space.

There's no sensor on the left hand side on this machine. This is a Benchtop Pro, which uses only 3 sensors. On this machine, the sensor for the Y-Axis is located on the side opposite the problem.

I have spoken to CNCRP (which have been extremely helpful), and they are looking into it. In the meantime, I'm going to fabricate my own mounting plate which will shift the router over about an inch or so. That will take care of the gap. That said, I will first need to figure out the distance at which the router moves beyond the right side of the working area. It looks as if these two distances (the gap on the left and the movement on the right beyond the working area) are somewhat similar. I'm hoping that moving the router over about 1.5 inches will solve this problem.

I'll report back when I've got some results.

Semus
09-23-2014, 03:06 PM
I just got a phone call from Corry at CNCRP, and we discussed this very issue.

I'd like to personally thank Cory, and the entire CNCRP team for having such a great response to this. Each time I interact with anyone from CNCRP, I am immediately reassured that I made the right decision when purchasing from them. They really are a great company. I cannot say that enough.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the solution they come up with ;)

fortyeight
09-23-2014, 09:36 PM
I just got a phone call from Corry at CNCRP, and we discussed this very issue.

I'd like to personally thank Cory, and the entire CNCRP team for having such a great response to this. Each time I interact with anyone from CNCRP, I am immediately reassured that I made the right decision when purchasing from them. They really are a great company. I cannot say that enough.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the solution they come up with ;)

I will second your words about the CNCRP team, they r a great bunch.

I was a little surprised with this distance as well, i would of liked to of had the full workable space and will consider your method if i require, rite now its still fine for what i am doing.

I have been considering install a block so the sensor on the Y will hit sooner to prevent me from accidentally forgetting to raise the Z prior to homing,to ensure clearance of the X extrusion, i already came close, i'm sure it will not happen again, but putting something to make sure it cant go over would be nice. Seeing it not usable space over there.

Semus
09-24-2014, 06:09 AM
I will second your words about the CNCRP team, they r a great bunch.

I was a little surprised with this distance as well, i would of liked to of had the full workable space and will consider your method if i require, rite now its still fine for what i am doing.

I have been considering install a block so the sensor on the Y will hit sooner to prevent me from accidentally forgetting to raise the Z prior to homing,to ensure clearance of the X extrusion, i already came close, i'm sure it will not happen again, but putting something to make sure it cant go over would be nice. Seeing it not usable space over there.

Actually, Cory mentioned to me that they are working on a solution to this issue. Once they have a more permanent solution, they will offer it free of charge to anyone who purchased this machine. Just another reason I am thankful to have purchased from them.

ahren
09-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I'll chime in here -- the solution we're looking at is a small spacer block that shifts the gantry over about 35mm, which should center the travel. We'll provide more details once we've tested it out. This will also help avoid a theoretical crash during homing, although there might still be a potential interference if there is a very large bit installed. We'll let everyone know once we have this implemented and tested, and it shouldn't take us too long.

Best regards,

Ahren
CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com)

Semus
09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I'll chime in here -- the solution we're looking at is a small spacer block that shifts the gantry over about 35mm, which should center the travel. We'll provide more details once we've tested it out. This will also help avoid a theoretical crash during homing, although there might still be a potential interference if there is a very large bit installed. We'll let everyone know once we have this implemented and tested, and it shouldn't take us too long.

Best regards,

Ahren

Awesome news, Ahren! Thank you for the update. Looking forward to seeing this spacer once you've completed your testing.

fortyeight
09-26-2014, 11:26 PM
that is great to here. I have been testing my benchtop here today, Its great, silky smooth during testing. Just about finished up my first project.

Semus
11-24-2014, 10:48 PM
I'd like to ask if CNCRouterParts has come up with a solution to this issue yet?

I haven't heard anything since this thread was started, so I was just wondering what sort of progress has been made.

ahren
11-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Hi Semus,

We've got a spacer block and some longer fasteners that should fix you right up. I thought Cory had sent these out to you already, but things get busy around here and we must have overlooked it. We'll get these sent out to you tomorrow along with instructions for installation

Best regards,

Ahren

Semus
11-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi Semus,

We've got a spacer block and some longer fasteners that should fix you right up. I thought Cory had sent these out to you already, but things get busy around here and we must have overlooked it. We'll get these sent out to you tomorrow along with instructions for installation

Best regards,

Ahren

Awesome news! Thanks!

I look forward to receiving the parts ;)

fortyeight
11-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi Semus,

Best regards,

Ahren

Will these be sent to all who purschased the benchtop pro, I'd like to have these parts aswell

ahren
11-25-2014, 07:13 PM
fortyeight,

We're happy to provide these parts to existing customers -- we'll get instructions and parts sent out to you as well. It wouldn't hurt to send us a reminder email, otherwise we have to do some sleuthing to connect cnczone identities and customer accounts.

Best regards,

Ahren

fortyeight
11-25-2014, 07:24 PM
fortyeight,

We're happy to provide these parts to existing customers -- we'll get instructions and parts sent out to you as well. It wouldn't hurt to send us a reminder email, otherwise we have to do some sleuthing to connect cnczone identities and customer accounts.

Best regards,

Ahren

All good, You guys are the best, love the support.

I plan on contacting you soon, i have some other items i would like to have also.

thanks

Seaweed
12-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Hi I've been looking at this machine as a start for me...Question ; how does the machine stop at the left edge where you had the problem? Do you program it at setup for 24 inches from the right, or do the motors just turn to as far as they can and stop? I see other setups have a limit switch at both sides, but this model only has them at one side. I helped someone set up the limit switches before but never saw how they were set to be used. Thanks.

ahren
12-30-2014, 11:15 AM
We currently make use of a homing switch at the motor end of each axis for homing, and rely on soft limits after that (these tell the machine it has gone far enough and stop it before hitting the edge). Another sensor could be mounted at the other end, although this would require a different mechanical mounting arrangement. We're looking into the best way to do this for people who want a physical limit switch at the other end of the axes.

Best regards,

Ahren

Semus
02-03-2015, 04:49 PM
We currently make use of a homing switch at the motor end of each axis for homing, and rely on soft limits after that (these tell the machine it has gone far enough and stop it before hitting the edge). Another sensor could be mounted at the other end, although this would require a different mechanical mounting arrangement. We're looking into the best way to do this for people who want a physical limit switch at the other end of the axes.

Best regards,

Ahren

Just out of curiosity, Ahren, do the soft limits prevent the machine from moving too far even when jogging? For example, I use a 360 controller to move my machine now. So, if I move it too far, it will crash. Will soft limits prevent this?

Only reason I ask is because I never set up any soft limits for my machine. I'll have to see about doing that.

ahren
02-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Yes, with soft limits engaged it also restricts movement while jogging.

Best regards,

Ahren

Semus
02-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Yes, with soft limits engaged it also restricts movement while jogging.

Best regards,

Ahren

Thanks ;-)