PDA

View Full Version : New Machine Build CRP4848

JohnHGroom
09-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi, I have finally started my CRP4848 build. I have built the table and frame and I am ready to add the steel. First question is what is the best way to clean the steel and what should I do to prevent rusting?

jeffserv
09-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Greetings,

In the states here, we have a product called Rustoleum... an industrial paint, which combats rust. I have used it with good success. We used to clean with acetol, then let dry and paint.

If you have a powder coating company near you... for frames and such, that is a great way to go. They will clean and do all the work. You build, then disassemble, and have powder coated. Get it back and build.

Powdercoated frames will look good 10 years from now. They also don't ding or scratch that easy.

Go to your local Paint store, they will have some good advice,... as well probally are already selling, to industrial companies, what works for your area.

Go Canada, my wife is Canadian...

ahren
09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Hi John,

Scotchbright and WD-40 work well for cleaning the bearing steel. After that, a lot of our customers will mask the working edges of the steel (about 0.25" in) and paint the rest, and just keep a light coat of oil on the unpainted edges.

Best regards,

Ahren
CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com)

JohnHGroom
09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the great reply Jeffserv.
That's funny, my wife is Canadian as well :)