PDA

View Full Version : Iscar APKT IC328's and their knock offs

carbidecraters
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I bought a bunch of cheaper knock off Korloy brand inserts for a 3/4 dia 3 flute insertable endmill we use heavily. Man was I bummed those damn things chipped out fast. The Iscar inserts laster 80 parts and the Korlys were around 45...LOl wouldnt you know it they were Korean made. I also have a Deawoo that shimmys and shakes bad at 47,000 miles that is alos Korean made.

Bottom line is caveat emptor when buying cheap inserts :frown:

big_mak
08-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Carbidecraters,

You've also got to watch the profile of these inserts. If you try to use different manufacturers inserts in your APKT cutters. Each manufacturer can use different helix angles for their cutters, leaving you mismatch when machining 90 degree walls when you use persay an Ingersoll insert in a Iscar cutter. I really noticed this when trying Seco inserts in Iscar cutters, and the reverse. This was only a last resort, as we had none of the right inserts left. Do what yah gotta do! Right.

You must also be aware of the recommended machining parameters when switch suppliers, as the Surface speed and Feed requirements may change as well. It's not simply a staright switch.

Even if you stayed with Iscar, and just switched the grade, you would have to pay close attention to the machining parameters. I`ve used IC328`s on stainless with god sucess. For steels, I used to have great sucess with the IC950 grade, provided you machined dry. This grade is really suceptable(sp) to thermal cracking, so unless you can totally, and I mean pretty much machine in a aquarium, immerse the cutting zone in coolant, it`s better to use none at all. Just pay attention to your chips. They`ll tell you if you`ve got it right.

stonbruc
06-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Just joined this forum, but I had great luck with Stellram inserts in Iscar holders. You must watch the corner radius', over .060, you can have problems

PixMan
06-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I bought a bunch of cheaper knock off Korloy brand inserts for a 3/4 dia 3 flute insertable endmill we use heavily. Man was I bummed those damn things chipped out fast. The Iscar inserts laster 80 parts and the Korlys were around 45...LOl wouldnt you know it they were Korean made. I also have a Deawoo that shimmys and shakes bad at 47,000 miles that is alos Korean made.

Bottom line is caveat emptor when buying cheap inserts :frown:

Amen! The Iscar IC328 grade has been around a long time and is tough to beat in stainless steels and high-temp alloys.

These days, there are few "standard" interchangeable inserts in milling cutters. Every manufacturer seems to tweak the shape ever-so-slightly so that even with the same ANSI designation, inserts aren't fitting each others cutter bodies.

What materials are you cutting with that 3/4" cutter, and do you need a shoulder mil?