PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! CNCPRO Over Wood joist floor system

FoxCNC1
08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
I have a 2448 machine and I have brought it into my 2nd floor office of a new place I have moved into. At the time the new bench machines were not out so this is what I bought and I pretty happy with it.

The machine is supported by an 8020 table I designed (legs are 8020 extrusion). The weight is distributed along the 4 corners, or at least 2 when the machine is not being used, but that is not really my concern as the weight of the machine can't be more than 300 lbs. which to me is like a bed with 2 people on it.

My concern however is the vibrations of the machine against the wood joist structure of my floor system - I don't want my floor to come crashing down on day; or cause structural damage to my house over time. I am also not sure if not being on a concrete slab will have any effects on accuracy.

When I jog that Z axis along the gantry everything is very smooth and machine does not transfer any vibrations, however when I jog the gantry, I can feel vibrations on the floor. In the past the machine was on a concrete slab (I lived in an apt) and I could still feel some slight vibrations when cutting from time to time but nothing major.

I am thinking of maybe buying some isolation pads to counter this, or as much I don't want to, I will have to give up my garage (car storage) and take the machine down there.

I am open to suggestions, but everything is pointing down to the garage.
Thank you

ger21
08-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Bolting it to the floor would probably be the best option. I'm guessing it would make the machine stiffer, and lessen vibrations.

Whatever you do, the vibrations aren't going to cause any structural damage.

FoxCNC1
08-02-2014, 12:50 PM
The reason I bought it up is that I saw a few threads online about front load washers' vibrations on the second floor damaging houses?

I am just wondering if overtime I am going to have to shim the floor or something.

ger21
08-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Front load washers are a LOT more violent than your CNC.

CYoung
08-02-2014, 07:08 PM
You could dampen it with thick rubber pads under the legs

FoxCNC1
08-02-2014, 08:10 PM
^ yeah I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U6Z9O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1EPE8IE7JPHY4

CYoung
08-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Those look pretty good!

FoxCNC1
08-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I just ordered them, I will report back. I just don't want to damage my house over time.

nlancaster
08-04-2014, 01:10 AM
One thing to keep in mind, wood is very resistant to fatigue damage. There is no machine I can think of not purpose built that could damage the structure of your house. As Gerry said, a front load washer or even a regular top load unbalanced during spin cycle is going to cause much larger vibrations.

But it can't hurt to put the machine on those anti vibration pads.

FoxCNC1
08-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Thank you for your reply. I feel better about it.