PDA

View Full Version : My first machine

john_s
08-19-2006, 06:11 PM
I've been reading up for a few weeks now, and I've taken the plunge with my first project. Machine number one is going to be a JGRO, but I'm already starting to think about what might be next!

Nothing too exciting has been done so far, but I've cut a couple of sheets of MDF up this evening. Still a bit more cutting to do before I can start assembling.

Hopefully I'll get some pics posted as soon as I've got something more substantial to photograph ;)

epineh
08-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Welcome John, nice to see another router starting, the JGRO machine is a nice machine, make sure you send in heaps of pictures, but don't build it too quickly, it makes the rest of us still working on our first router depressed when someone builds their machine in about a week :eek:

Just kidding, build like crazy.

Russell.

john_s
08-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Today's update:

I've got most of the MDF cutting complete. Just a few small bits to cut now and I'll be able to start marking out, drilling, and assembling.

Going to have to start seriously looking for some steppers...

John.

Guldberg
08-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Dont forget the pictures...

john_s
08-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Update again:

I've finished cutting all the MDF now, and marked out a few pieces ready for drilling.

Haven't forgotten the pics, just waiting until there's something more exciting to take pics of ;)

John.

john_s
08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Done some more marking up on the MDF this evening :)

Best of all though, I've made up the Z-axis linear bearings. The aluminium angle might be a little thinner than the plans, but the price was right on it ;) so I'll give it a go.

And... the first pic of the project has been taken, so here are the bearings...

Madclicker
08-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I sure like old quarter sawn oak!

john_s
08-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Been busy in John's World recently, so I've not got a huge amount done.

I've built up the X and Y bearing assemblies now and marked some more of the MDF parts out ready for drilling.

John.

john_s
09-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Started drilling bits tonight. I've drilled all the pipe clamp pieces. I tapped one to just to see how it went (very well).

Plan for tomorrow evening is to tap the rest, and then get busy with the CA.

No pics today. Camera battery is flat :(

John.