PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Assistance sourcing Material for Injection molding

zittware
07-30-2014, 03:14 AM
Maker working out of Techshop.ws on a Morgan Industries G-100T Machine.

My Google-FU has come up empty despite trying numerous times.

I'm trying to find a usa supplier of hobby grade injection molding pellets.
Specifically Silver Metallic or Chrome.

I'm thinking I want to do something similar to the chrome plastics seen in plastic model kits if it's possible as a pellet.

If not; I saw a japan supplier claiming a silver metallic material; but couldn't find an obvious choice for it here in the States.

Anyone got any leads?

rowbare
07-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Those parts are plated. Take one and cut it, you will see. Google 'plating plastic' or 'chrome plating plastic diy' and you will find plenty of information.This page has a good summary of techniques: 6 Ways to Transform Plastic into Chrome - The Hog Ring | Auto Upholstery Community (http://www.thehogring.com/2012/10/16/6-ways-to-transform-plastic-into-chrome/)

bob

LaughingLarry
07-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Generally speaking, the 'chrome' is a plating put on the plastic after it is molded. The most popular material is ABS, and it needs to be semi-conductive - and they generally use a high carbon additive to make this work. There is no 'chrome' looking plastic that I have ever seen.
Look to a molder that likes to work with ABS, and see if they can provide a 'plateable grade of ABS'.

zittware
08-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Humm... ok. Thanks for the feedback.
Since Techshop is a DIY workshop; I'd be doing my own injection molding; so would need to source the ABS or plastic pellets used in the process.

Is there any online shops anyone knows of that specializes in multiple colors/materials in pellet form?