PDA

View Full Version : Gantry rebuild...

Mountaincraft
07-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Need to replace the bearings in my carriages... I don't have a press... was thinking of using a drill press with a drill bit installed backwards... would this work? What size bit should I use? can it be pressed out from either direction, or does it have to go only one way and back in one way?

thanks,
Mark

CRP
07-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi Mark,

The bearings that ride on the side of the plate are held in place with a lightly press-fit dowel pin. This can be easily pressed out with a 5/16 bolt and a vise or clamp.

Cory
CNC Router Parts

Mountaincraft
07-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks Cory...

The purpose of this rebuild is to remove as much mechanical slop/backlash as possible.... I noticed that you guys have a new shaft coupler.. I have the older helical coupler (that I had to drill out for the 1/2" ACME screw)... Is the new one an improvement in regards to backlash? If so, enough that warrants replacement?

CRP
07-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi Mark,

Both styles of couplers work well for CNC application. We switched to the Oldham style because it gives us more control over inventory, allowing us to make a number of different combinations because it is a three part component.

Cory
CNC Router Parts

Mountaincraft
07-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Cory, I got the first set of four carriages rebuilt (the bearings you guys sent me in the first order of them was short one, but I didn't order enough of them anyways, so we can make that up when I order the last set), and I'm getting ready to install your steel risers (the red ones)... If I install the carriages the normal way with the adjustment screws up, then they are covered by and interfere with the riser plates...

Am I supposed to install them upside down? If so, do I then use the long bolts for the pro tensioners on the adjustable screw (the one with the allen insert adjustment screw).. If so, is there anything I need to be aware of regarding adjusting everything (ie does tightening the tensioner work against the bearing adjustment)?

Or am I supposed to drill access holes through the riser plates?

Mountaincraft
07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
If I mount it all as in the picture, the little black allen head adjustment screws won't be accessible.... so am I supposed to mount it upside down and use the long bolt for the tensioner on the bearing with the nut (the adjustable bearing)?

Mountaincraft
07-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Looking through the instructions on your site, it 'appears' that I just leave the long bolt in the fixed bearing, turn the carriage upside down, and mount the tensioner bracket on it... So, unless I have problems with this.. never mind...

;)