PDA

View Full Version : My Angel 2000 CNC

corydoras
08-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi

Just started my cnc project, and I can´t wait to get it assembled an running.

Ive been working on the mechanics for 3 afternoons now and here are my result this far.

The construction of the machine is totally out of scrap aluminium profiles that I got from some old machines at work that was replaced.

Same with the THK linear bearings and the bearings for the threaded rods.

The only thing i had to purchase is the threaded rods and the steppers and controller.

Cable tracks is also from the old machines at work.

The machine measures 1760 mm X 1280 mm, with a working area of about 1500 mm X 1050 mm.

What remains to be done is get the steppers delivered by mail, they are 174 oz in amt STEP-line from www.bergan.se in Sweden (good prices if I may say so) get my M20 X 4 threaded rods from a local mechanical shop and get a powersupply and all the wiring done.

As I work as an electrician, this part should not be timeconsuming.

Finishing my vacum table is also due for next week.

Anyone have any idea if the steppers could be in the right torque range for this machine, and that the threaded rods aint to big with to much friction so that I may suffer from loss of steps.

(This sentence came out pretty poorly......sorry about my english writing an choosing of words and spelling)

Hopefully somone has any comments to make on this build, and please tell me that there are some cheaper or free software to make/send the g-codes to the machine available, that has the same user friendly interface as the Mach (1-2 or 3 )

Cory

Jason Marsha
08-11-2006, 08:59 PM
That's quick work and a great looking machine. At this rate you will finish very quickly.
I like the high quality scrap I think I will apply for a job at your workplace. :D

Keep those pictures coming.

Jason

corydoras
08-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Here are some more pictures showing the vacum board starting to take shape

Cory

ZipSnipe
08-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey Cory great lookin start, I hope you don,t mind if I borrow some of your ideas for my Gantry project when I start it. The only thing I see that is questionable on yours , is the side supports for the gantry part of your machine. Is that a hinge that I see you using for a bracket on the upper part of the supports? I think the only thing I would change on your machine are the side supports, maybe do 1/2 or 3/4 solid aluminum plate instead of the way you got it. (disclaimer: I am in no way a machinist and/or engineer) However I like good designs and yours looks awesome other than for what I mentioned above. Keep up the good work.

mnewsholme
08-12-2006, 09:48 AM
is there only one rail on the Y axis? If so that'll flex a bit under cutting loads. other than that looking good :banana:

corydoras
08-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Zip, go ahead and be my guest:)

The support for the gantry is only temp. I am to make new sides of aluminium when the machine is up and running.

It will propably be its first real job:)

Mnews: yes thats only one rail on the Y axis, I only had one, but will get another one if it gets to unstable, but I dont think it will.

These 20 mm THK rail has a guaranteed load of 8000 kg if you have at least 1 1/2 carriage length beetween the carrieages.

This seems to be the easiest part building the machine, now I have to move onto PWR and software, any suggestions?

DIY powersupply?

Cory

corydoras
08-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi

A little slow on progress now, but I have mounted the threaded rods on X an Y axis, an run them a little bit with a power drill.

posting a few pictures of the new items. (the Y axis mounting of the nut is only for testing, have another alu bracket waiting to gett tigged)

ANyone ever used 2 PC power supplys in series for power supply for the steppers?

Any other DIY power supp. ideas?

Cory

corydoras
09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
A little update on the build.

Vacum table is ready, and the steppers have been mounted, except for the Y axis, that turned out to be a too small motor.

New one is on the way (way to go jojje):):)....(www.bergan.se)....great service if you thinking of buying steppers and equ. and live in Europe

Here is a link to a short video i made of my machines first movements.

Just cutting some "holes" in the air, and its only the Y and Z axis moving.
Heres the link:

http://media.putfile.com/Movie-0001-33

Cory

Jay C
12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Found a YouTube of his machine in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYzyPJbdIJ0&mode=related&search=

FWIW,
Jay