PDA

View Full Version : My Router Progress

GRS
08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi All,
I am new to cnc zone, my first post, been reading for a while.
I am building a router based on another members machine.
He is helping me with another group of guys and along with this forum I have progressed some.
My machine is steel based and has an aluminium gantry I bought linear rails and bearings for X and Y, and I got a complete Z axis . All off ebay.
I also have Ballscrews and nuts on the way for the movements. I am using
nema23 260oz stepper motors.
I must point out that I don't know a thing about the electrics or computing side of things but am looking forward to the learning process.
Some progress photo's

Gary

epineh
08-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Nice work Gary, keep the pics comin.

Russell.

Jason Marsha
08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
That router looks really good.

Jason

GRS
08-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the comments

I have now fitted the Y linear slide bearings.

I am having a lot of fun so far with this build, I was told it is an addictive hobby, and they're right.

Gary

Greolt
08-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Looking good Gary :cheers:

GRS
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Have the Z axis on the Y slide bearings now
Getting there bit by bit

Gary

GRS
08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I thought people might like a look at what I will be doing with my machine once it's up and running.
A hobby of mine which has grown a bit is making decorative boxes using old farm implement parts . They hare cast Iron and have the makers names and details on them, I paint them up and highlight the lettering then make a design
which complements the makers or the person who I am making it for.
Currently I do all this by hand improvising by clamping a fence to work off for strait lines and then freehand for the rest. It usually takes me a week or so to complete just the routing so I will be a happy man when my machine is up and running.
Cheers
Gary

kosymailman
08-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Some good looking work. Hopefully one of the CNC's is exactly what you need. Surely it would cut your routing time way down. Don't know if it could look any better though.

ZipSnipe
08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Gary good lookin machine. Just want to question the gantry support do the inside L-brackets bump into the glides when the assembly is brought over to either side? Also the two outside brackets look like they could take another bolt(instead of two). Otherwise nice design, I haven,t built mine yet but I have built a manual mill and since that, ridgidness is top priority in any builds in the future. Keep up the good work.

GRS
08-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replys

Zipsnipe, I have yet to fit the ballscrew thread and bearing blocks for the drive, that's why there is no extra bolts in that angle support yet. I didn't want to be in the way of the drive. I guess as I have had a 2 week wait for delivery of parts that I get a bit impatient and want to get stuff done.
As far as the gantry Y axis the plate which houses the Z actuator is bolted to the outer side of the bearing trucks and as I have about 50mm (2") over hang to the gantry side the center of my router will be inside the edge so I'll get maximum footprint out of it. So yes they do go all the way to the gantry sides at the moment. There are no L brackets just packing for a bit of support there, the photo does make it look like an L bracket though The bearings glide over these.

Cheers
Gary

jb2060
09-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi Gary,

Your machine is looking great - well done. Rod's design is an absolute beauty so it should work very well when it's done. I'll be watching your build with great interest.

cheers, Jason

GRS
09-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Jason
Yes mate Rod is a jet.
Well I have got some progress made and thanks to a lot of people I'm getting closer to having a working item here.
I have secure the ballscrews and have mounted the router which in this instance ia a Milwaukee die grinder.
Just one motor mount for th Y to go and then into fitting up all the electrics.

GRS
09-10-2006, 03:45 AM
I have now finished the mechanics for my machine.
I am very happy with it and now time to enter the next stage.
I have a driver board to pick up early next week and just
a matter of getting my mate the sparky to help with wiring.
Electronics is not my scene at all so best left to the experts.

epineh
09-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Nice to see another machine nearing completion, good job.

Russell.

Jason Marsha
09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Now the real addiction begins, cutting things on the machine.

Jason

GRS
09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Just been fitting out the computer and doing some cabinet doors etc while I am waiting for a electrician mate to do the electrical on my machine.

94vette
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
That looks awsome. :cool: What a great idea to have the everything right in the work bench.

Nice Job.

GRS
09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
94vette, thanks for the comments, the idea of housing everything in the bench is not my own. It is shamelessly stolen but also very practical

Gary

Guldberg
09-12-2006, 04:29 PM
You have some drawings of the table, i like the look, maybe my next could be based on that design.

GRS
09-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Sorry Guldberg but no drawings. It is simply made to size using 30mm & 20mm RHS.and closed in using 12mm mdf If you have a welder then it is quite simple.

Cheers
Gary

Guldberg
09-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I ment the router x-frame:-)

GRS
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Well I have a working cnc router now and I am very happy. Here is a look at some of the test jobs.
Thanks to Rodm54 for his input and wiring job.
The machine achieved 2500mm/m rapids on the X so I am pleased to say the least.

Cheers
Gary

pminmo
09-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Looking mighty good!

jb2060
09-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Great work Gary!

You must be thrilled to be finally cutting something. Everything is fantastic except for the subject matter. "Go the Swans".

GRS
09-26-2006, 08:08 AM
No worries there mate I'm a Docker. At least they had a bit of a dip a few times last Friday night.