PDA

View Full Version : ER-16 Collet quality.

Ken_Shea
08-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Accupro vs ETM ER-16 collet holders
If you have any experience withe these two makes or other makes (around $225 or so per 10 piece set), I would be interested in your opinion of them.

Thanks
Ken

big_mak
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I use the ETM collets exclusively, not by choice, it's what's run in the shop I work at. I've got nothing bad to say about them. They run pretty trun in ETM Holders.

tobyaxis
08-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Accupro vs ETM ER-16 collet holders
If you have any experience withe these two makes or other makes (around $225 or so per 10 piece set), I would be interested in your opinion of them.

Thanks
Ken

I hate those (Accucrap collets (wedge) ) to say the least. Spend the extra cash for ETM or Ericson. Accupro wear-out to fast and do not hold a good tolerance for very long. To to mention that even if Torqued to the right spec they don't grip the tool as well as better brands. I have the ETM after wasting money on Accucrap :mad: :bat:

BTW: ETM is Iscar ;)

Ken_Shea
08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the input, while a couple of opinions does not make for a absolute, it was exactly what I was looking for. Having already ordered the ETM but saw the Accucrap :D for $60 lessm, was hoping I did not just throw away the cost difference. Looks like ETM should be very satisfactory.

"ETM is Iscar"... that's comforting :)

Thanks guys.
Ken

HuFlungDung
08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Ken,
I've had some issues with 'made in China' collets. For whatever reason, the top angle (the short one that seats against the angle in the nut) was not ground to a small enough diameter, thus when I clipped the collet into the nut, it would collapse a little and then I could not get the tool into the collet. I returned them and learned my lesson.

Heartech Precision is another name that I've come across. Although I have been buying from Shars Tool Co, because their prices are good, I will often bypass their catalogue merchandise, and ask for US made. They seem to be offering stuff from Heartech. I bought about 30 collet chucks (Cat40 V flange) from them for about $80 US each, which I felt was good. Apparently these are all balanced and everything, at least, they've drilled holes here and there that look like they would be for that purpose :D

tobyaxis
08-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the input, while a couple of opinions does not make for a absolute, it was exactly what I was looking for. Having already ordered the ETM but saw the Accucrap :D for $60 lessm, was hoping I did not just throw away the cost difference. Looks like ETM should be very satisfactory.

"ETM is Iscar"... that's comforting :)

Thanks guys.
Ken

Iscar Tooling is nicely priced for the Value you get :cheers:

Ken_Shea
08-03-2006, 02:25 PM
The ETM-ER 16 collet set came in today, In a Briney CAT-40 ER-16 holder they seem to fit perfectly, tighten up precisely using good quality vise-grips :D just kidding, then come out easily, that is a good start.

Made in Israel, at least for the time being, looking at the news.

tobyaxis
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
The ETM-ER 16 collet set came in today, In a Briney CAT-40 ER-16 holder they seem to fit perfectly, tighten up precisely using good quality vise-grips :D just kidding, then come out easily, that is a good start.

Made in Israel, at least for the time being, looking at the news.

Feel good as these are authentic Iscar made in Isreal. I always try to buy USA products, if the cash flow permits. ;)