PDA

View Full Version : New CNC ROuter Little over 50% finnished

planekrazie
07-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Hello Guys, I have been working on my new router the last few weeks. Table is built out of 2" steel tubbing and the rest is out of aluminum. This is the 1st time for me to build a router. I am not new to cnc. I built a Foam cutter that Ill post pics of later. Here are some pics of my progress. I need a little help on the y axis. I am using 80/20 aluminum. I might buy the bearings that roll in the tracks of the aluminum. What do you think? Any help would most appricated.
Thanks Steve

2006cnc
07-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Using one truck on each side of the X-Axis may lead it to rocking forward and backwards when cutting force is applied. Also, you should drive the X-Axis on both sides to prevent racking.

planekrazie
07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Yea I thought about 2 more trucks. As for the drive, I plan to drive it from the bottom center of the machine. Just not gotten that far yet lol.

Jason Marsha
07-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Your router looks fantastic. As for the Y axis the aluminium may be prone to wear. Why not use something similar to what you are using on the X axis.

Jason

planekrazie
07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Your router looks fantastic. As for the Y axis the aluminium may be prone to wear. Why not use something similar to what you are using on the X axis.

Jason

I might have to go with the Y in that direction. As for the single trucks, I built it where the the router would move on the Z axis in the very middle of the bearings. They look small in the picture but all in all they are pretty long. Now If I could only find some 1/2 x 10 anti-backlash nuts.
Steve

planekrazie
07-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Latese pics of what I have done so far. Now If I could only find some linear slides and trucks for my Y Axis. What is a good place to buy the rails and trucks?

planekrazie
08-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Been Working a little on my Z axis. I ran across A bearing Block with Graphite Bushings 3/4" . Went to the local fastner store and bought some 3/4" drill rod. Cut it to the length I needed. Works like a dream. Just need to mount the Leadscrew, stepper and Leadscrew bearings. Ok Now I am looking for some Linear Trucks and Rails for My Y axis. If anyone knows where I can get a set ( Used ) around 48" Let me know. Does anyone use Lovejoys for their stepper to ledscrew? Bought 3 sets and to me they seem to have a small amount of play.
Well Here are the pics of what I have so far now. Getting Close :banana:
Steve

dertsap
08-05-2006, 01:53 AM
looks great , have you looked on ebay for rails ?

planekrazie
08-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I have kinda scanned through ebay. I have not seen anything above 22"
Steve

dertsap
08-05-2006, 12:20 PM
what about buying some linear bearing bushings press them into a block and buy some ss rod to make you own rails , it would be more cost effective and you can customize it to your needs

swarfmacdaddy
08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I would still drive a machine that big from both sides as it will skew when cutting. Nothing could be more disheartening than having to re-do a drive after completion. This happened to me. I was so impressed with how stiff my gantry was that i thought it could never skew. I never took into account the router drag when cutting off the centerline of the table. I would hate to see a cool machine like that with vacant holes where the old drive used to be. Good job! Looks very professional!

planekrazie
08-05-2006, 03:36 PM
So go with another Stepper rated the same. Lead screws or rack/pinion?
thanks Steve

I would still drive a machine that big from both sides as it will skew when cutting. Nothing could be more disheartening than having to re-do a drive after completion. This happened to me. I was so impressed with how stiff my gantry was that i thought it could never skew. I never took into account the router drag when cutting off the centerline of the table. I would hate to see a cool machine like that with vacant holes where the old drive used to be. Good job! Looks very professional!

dertsap
08-05-2006, 04:17 PM
belt or chain drive might be worth looking at

planekrazie
08-05-2006, 04:48 PM
What type of sag would I be looking at using SS rods @ 48"? Might be an option.
Steve

what about buying some linear bearing bushings press them into a block and buy some ss rod to make you own rails , it would be more cost effective and you can customize it to your needs

planekrazie
11-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Well It is Finnished. I have posted a few pictures on other posts so I thought Id close this out with a last few pics. Here is the cnc done!