PDA

View Full Version : Need some feedback/ideas!!

Jan Rune
07-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone!
Im kind of new in this forum. And am in the developing process of my first CNC router ever!! :D

I have some good skills in design from school. So building the machine shouldnt be any problems. But i guess you guys have some good advices for what todo, and NOT todo. I have looked at alot of DIY project in this forum. And I got alot of good ideas just watching these designs..

So here is where iam right now. I gonna use the CNC router mostly for PCB milling. But i also want to cut some aluminium. I have decided to go for 3x 624oz stepper's for that reason.

Well nothing more to say, just look at the pictures from my plan. And give me some constructive feedback please..

PS: Not quite done yet. But you get the idea :idea:

Jan Rune
07-23-2006, 08:41 PM
BTW: Im gonna use a plunge router mounted under the table, with a flexible axel (right spelled?). Thats why the plunge holder isnt so big. And the size of the thing will be: 60cm wide, 50cm deep. Working area about 50x40cm or something...

widgitmaster
07-23-2006, 09:14 PM
the design is nice, but the amount of sliding surface area on the y-axis is so small, I question its strength and regidity for cutting anything aluminum! It needs a slide rail above the lead screw to fix the weakness!

The x-axis looks beefy enough, but pushing the gantry from one side only will never work!

Metal machining requires enormas strength and regidity, and if you examine any professional machinery, you will always find the feed screw in the middle of the slides!

There is not much detail visible on the z-axis to form any opinions!
Eric

Jan Rune
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback widgitmaster! I had no idea 'bout that. :o I will change this in the design. I will go for 2 rails in the Y-axis as well.

The Z axis i havent figured out yet. So any good advice about a proper solution would be appretiated...

Jan Rune

KTP
07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Most people drive the gantry (your long axis) with a screw under the table mounted in the center. Protects the screw from chips and is a bit more balanced as far as torque. On the other hand, if all you do is light cuts, perhaps it doesn't matter

Jan Rune
07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
It sound like a good idea. Its on my todo list :D