PDA

View Full Version : Acme treaded rod

elogicca
07-18-2006, 07:04 PM
I have some 10tpi 1/2" lead screws 19" each they have a definate wiggle in them running 280oz stepper i cannot run more than 20ipm, if i am at either end and going the opposite end i can the the screw whipping can these be straightened? everything is parallel but i get binding at random points using a delrin nut... any ideas?

widgitmaster
07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
If you roll it on a flat floor, to find the bend or high spot, place it on two blocks 6" either side of the bend, and tap it with a block of wood to bend it down.
repeat process till it rolls smoothly!

This is not the perfect way, but it will get most of th vibeation and binding under control!

Eric

spalm
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
You say you have more than 1 screw with this problem? Like Widget posted, check for straightness by rolling them on a flat surface. If they appear straight, maybe it is how you mounted them, or the alignment with the delrin nut. (?) Disconnect (or remove) the nut and spin them to make sure there is no binding.

Steve

widgitmaster
07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Are your leadscrews supported by bearings on both ends? You mentioned "Whipping" in your post! If not, that at increased RPM they will only bend again!
If they are supported, then it is a bend in the threaded rod!

Eric